The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 29, 2010, 11:33 PM   #26
riggins_83

I had a customer buy a handgun and ammo.. then proceed to load the gun in the store!! I told him "no way" very quickly and his response was "well I rode my motorcycle here so I have to put it in my holster..." I really didn't care. He can do that somewhere else or get a saddle bag. Usually people who would do that kind of thing aren't very safe when it comes to firearms to begin with.

If somebody wants to try a holster and CLAIM the gun is unloaded I will take it from them and clear it. If they say it's loaded I tell them they need to go into their vehicle and unload it. I'm not willing to do it for them, nor do I deem it appropriate for such an event to take place in the store.
Old December 30, 2010, 03:58 PM   #27
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thompson
# 20 - "Don't tell me what the Blue Book value is, I price guns to suit the local market".
Not so fast, there.

Here in Indiana, for example, pistol-caliber carbines and slug guns bring a substantial premium over what they did back in Georgia and Tennessee; conversely, centerfire rifles in deer calibers are less common and relatively cheap.

(And as far as the Fjestad's pricing goes, well, you know as well as I do that you should buy every Model 28 you find that's priced at Blue Book... )
Old December 30, 2010, 05:03 PM   #28
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Yep. Problem we had was that the previous management team was going by the Blue Book and we put a screeching halt to that junk. Several regulars would cherry pick the police department trade-ins and make some extra money going to the gunshows. Had several of those guys get irate when we brought prices in line.
Old December 30, 2010, 06:12 PM   #29
twins

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Interesting reading, but I'm getting the opposite feeling of not wanting to step into your shop.

If this is the general consensus of gun store owners/employees, then it should be very apparent why many customers turn to Buds, CDNN or a friend to buy a gun.
Old December 30, 2010, 06:44 PM   #30
Scorch

Quote:
"My bud has an FFL and gets guns for me at cost, I just wanted to see how it felt.
Or the variant of that one "I wanted to see if you would beat WalMart's price". If you want WalMart's price, buy it there.

Or the person that buys the gun, scope, bases and rings somewhere else and comes in and wants the scope mounted for free because you told him if he bought the rifle, mounts, and scope here you would mount the scope for free.

Or the guy who wants a certain rifle, and is upset you won't order it in for him to see. "Well, you could return it if I don't buy it!" No, generally, once it's on my books, it's mine. And besides, I am not looking for a deduction, I am trying to make money. Once I make some money, maybe I'll look for a write-off.

I think most people are not trying to be rude or inconsiderate, they just don't understand retail. Remember "you break it you buy it"? Big box stores don't do it that way.
Old December 30, 2010, 07:23 PM   #31
Microgunner

I allow them to fondle the firearms all they want, disassemble them to their hearts content, BS all day long if they want, listen in to my conversations with other customers. I don't freak when they sweep me, and they always do, but I remind them it's bad ettiquete. I offer them a stool, follow their lead no matter where the story goes. Offer to order anything they want at a reduced price if we don't stock it. I enjoy my customers no matter how odd and can't think of a more enjoyable job. I also sell lots of guns.
Old December 30, 2010, 08:05 PM   #32
BILLtheDJguy

That's it, really.

Chances are you're not going to be able to negotiate much, if at all, at the box stores or online outlets. They probably won't realize it, if you bought several things from them over the course of a year.
At our place, you may pay a bit more, but each time you come back the prices tend to get a little better, or we'll throw in a used holster or some ammo, or give you a few more bucks for your trade.
These are the reasons that you keep it local. You just can't get the knowledge and/or face to face, man to man (or woman) service at those other guys.
Old December 30, 2010, 10:10 PM   #33
Gehrhard

Try being swept working at a shooting range!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find my ankle holster for the Broomhandle Mauser chambered in .918 Makaroon. LOL

Gehr
Old December 31, 2010, 12:05 AM   #34
Patriot86

@Microgunner, Wish I still lived in Florida because you would be my new favorite LGS.

As someone in sales, though not firearm sales I must say a lot of what I have read here (aside from the sweeping issue) is part of the business. Customers will be idiots, A holes, mo-rons etc all day long. They will slam down your brand new 1000+ dollar Kimber, they will dry fire the new $900.00 P-229, They will pretend they know more than you, they will berate you if you do not know every small detail of the product they are asking about without understanding or caring you sell 100 other products. All that being said, if you want the sale unless its an extreme case you have to smile and try your hardest to accommodated them within reason.I am sure in the gun world its the same as the HVAC world, the sale you don't get doesn't make you a dime. I answer stupid questions all day long, people call me about products we happen to sell but they bought from Granger, or another competitor. They will even ask you to help them fix a competitors mistake. In the end you just have to grit your teeth and cross your fingers this guy will go away soon, buy something or remember that you helped them next time they buy something. Mind you, Mr. Mo-Ron might get helped a little slower than someone who isint a pain and buys stuff on a regular basis, that does not mean you can become hostile.

That very "oh no not another customer" attitude turned me off to more than one LGS, in the end the one that got the sale was the one that had the most professional staff while maintaining competitive pricing(Note I said competitive, as someone in sales I understand it might be $50.00 cheaper at Walmart but at the same time the counterman in sporting goods doesn't know a bear from a buck).
Old December 31, 2010, 12:46 AM   #35
raftman

@Patriot86

I think most people do get that. The thoughts listed here aren't really ones that folks would explicitly express to the actual customer. But heck, maybe it will be food for thought for gun customers that break these rules without realizing that it's not cool with the gun shop employees. One could easily flip it around and do a "gun store customer thoughts" and list various frustrations one encounters shopping for firearms.
Old December 31, 2010, 02:21 AM   #36
Iron Man

For all you guys with your rules...grow up or get a new job. You just described ANY customer facing business. The topics are different, the stories the same.

Microgunner, I would love shopping at a gun store with a clerk like you.

My gun store owners all know me. I don't buy at Bass Pro Shops or the big box stores because most of the time they only sell new guns and the clerks have had very little training. I go to my local gun dealers. They all know one thing...if I walk in your store I am there to spend money. If you have what I want, I will buy it. I don't go to the stores to yap or socialize, but I know people who do and that's okay.

Those people you complain most about are simply insecure. It is your job to make them feel secure, safe and trusted. You do that you have a customer.

I buy used guns. There is always room to negotiate in used guns. It's part of the game and those who sell me guns know that it is a win--win situation.

If I ask you a question and you don't know the answer I expect you to tell me so. I have been collecting and shooting for more years than most of you have been alive. I know when you lie to me. Do it once and the sales/customer relationship is over.

If I want a gun held, I give a deposit or put it on layaway.

If you don't want the pistol slammed down, put down a towel. Most of the time you are working on a glass case anyway.

Before you hand a gun to the customer, tell them the store rules and policies (no dry firing, do not slam the slide, make sure you keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction, etc.). You brought up the car dealer...they tell me the rules before a test drive. Why don't you?

I break down every gun I buy in the store to examine it. I want to see how it breaks down and how it goes back together. The first time I picked up a FN Five-seveN I asked for the clerk to break it down and show me how. I don't want surprises when I get home. If you don't know how to break it down, admit it, then look at the manual together. I break down all Walthers before I buy them, I never break down a 1911 or a rifle in a store.

Oh, and the little complaint about the customer telling you about their collection is your first clue as to what they like and what they will spend money on. Get to know what they like and you will have a better customer. For example, I hate Glock pistols with a passion. They are perfectly fine firearms, in my opinion they are just plain and ugly. I collect Walthers. I will tell the clerk my preferences and see what they have for me. If they don't have anything that fits my needs I will walk around, check out the revolvers and let the next customer have their turn.

I have purchased seventy-two firearms in the past eighteen months alone.

For many people a gun purchase is as complicated as buying a car. These are not impulse buys here...these are expensive items that may effect their bottom line more than it does yours. Give them a break.

One more thing, a true gun dealer knows how to use the Blue Book. I reference it all the time (I'm not a gun dealer) and you will find it under the table of every serious gun dealer at any show. I cry BS on you having enough time to do GB rolling averages. You should spend a little more time with the customer and a little less time surfing the web.
Old December 31, 2010, 03:33 AM   #37
Wildalaska

Quote:
I cry BS on you having enough time to do GB rolling averages. You should spend a little more time with the customer and a little less time surfing the web.
I can do a GB average faster than you can break down a Walther. I buy or accept on consignment 100 guns a month on average, and a FAIR gun dealer pays no attention to the prices set forth in the Blue Book. This is the year 2010 and the market is on the web

The guys referencing the Blue Book at Shows are the ones that give gun dealers a bad name. half of them cant even grade a gun well enough to use the blue book.

Quote:
You should spend a little more time with the customer and a little less time surfing the web.
LOL, thats why we have two sales guys and up to 4 sales girls at any given time.

So I can surf the web...to make sure my clients are getting fair deals.

WildandhereihadaheerespistolebutsinceimnotatruegundealerihadnoideawhatsitwasworthAlaska ™©2002-2010

PS
Quote:
If you don't want the pistol slammed down, put down a towel.
Really? I have to put a mat down to prevent you from slamming a gun down on the counter. Bet you wreak havoc on the china in one of those a fancy resterauntes without place mats
Old December 31, 2010, 04:33 PM   #38
demigod

I don't go into gun stores for ALL of the above reasons. I laugh when idiots post in AZ forums that they'll be in town and want to go to gun stores.

WHY? I guess to be around their own kind.

When I do have to make a purchase of components, I go to cabelas and try to avoid the actual gun counter at all costs. I don't even like the help bugging me.
Old December 31, 2010, 08:23 PM   #39
Patriot86

@Raft, As a salesman I guess my personal encounters are better than most with a gun store employee. Still though, far to many people who work in LGS's I have entered have just given up on everyone but the regulars. To LGS owners, this will kill your business. This is why people buy online and at big box's. Most people are intelligent enough to realize that you know more than the 21 year old kid working behind the counter at Bass Pro Shop. That being said the general public sucks, they do not understand buying something besides the price. They do not understand that you are not the guy behind the counter at walmart, that your expertise has value.

If more people would stop and think the world would be a better place but I guess some people just cant be pleased.

Also in regards to sweeping, the rules seem to vary a lot from LGS to LGS, one shop I went to would not let me aim the firearm except at the store. Another had a guy who said it was cool for me to aim it even at him after he cleared it. Part of the problem is also that people assume all LGS's are alike, where as the "proper" thing to do would be to ask before doing.

Last edited by Patriot86; December 31, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old December 31, 2010, 09:45 PM   #40
B.N.Real

"Hey,you came to Wal Mart ,I worked in the cat food aisle last week.If you want gun information you should go where they sell guns for a business.A gun store."

"No,I can't give you what you paid for your gun as a trade in,this is a business not the Salvation Army Gun Store."

"Yes,a HiPoint 9mm and a H&K 9mm fire the same round.At least for a while.Later the H&K will still be firing it."

"Yes,you can buy it cheaper on the internet.You can also live on the internet when your job is outsourced to somewhere cheaper."

"If you ask me about THAT GUN in THAT movie THAT EVEN YOU CAN'T TELL ME THE TITLE OF THE MOVIE -you need to step back from the counter."

"No,we do not stock every caliber ammo ever made."

"No,we do not sell any handguns that can shoot bullets in circles by you just whipping the gun around as you fire it."

"Please leave the store."
Old December 31, 2010, 10:00 PM   #41
egor20

"No,I can't give you what you paid for your gun as a trade in,this is a business not the Salvation Army Gun Store."

After this Christmas I wish there was a Salvation Army Gun Store

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 31, 2010, 10:05 PM   #42
Tom Servo
Staff

#21: There is no "best gun for a woman." If there was, we'd have a giant neon sign with arrows pointing to it, and we'd sell dozens a day. Women are distinct individuals, and their needs and preferences are just as diverse as mens'.

#22: No, I won't "skip the background stuff" if you pay cash. Don't ask.

#23: No, I won't sell the gun you just spent an hour playing with to your buddy/girlfriend, so don't ask that either. We don't find it charming.

#24: Congratulations, you discovered the diverse works published by Paladin Press. While it might be legal to print books with some of that stuff, I will not discuss converting your gun to full-auto. Don't ask. I suggest calling 1-800-283-4867 for further advice on the matter.

(Sorry. Long day.)
Old December 31, 2010, 10:15 PM   #43
B.N.Real

1-800-283-4867

The....

B..egin

A..lterations

T..o Convert your

F..irearms to full auto phone line.

Make sure you start by giving them your name and full address before you ask how to do it.
Old December 31, 2010, 11:04 PM   #44
OldCorp

1. - No, I'm not familiar with the video game you're referring to, so no, I can't really help you set up a 'weapons system platform' like you may have seen there.

2. - No, right now we don't have either the .500 S&W or any large Desert Eagle pistols. There's little demand in this area, even if they are Hollywood and/or video game stars.

3. - I know it's difficult to understand - but the mere fact that the model or manufacturer of the old gun you have is long defunct does not exactly mean it has reached priceless status.

4. - The fact that you own an actual, yes an actual unfired Winchester M94 commemorative does not really ensure a totally safe retirement.

(these are examples of conversations had in the last week - 10 days)
Old December 31, 2010, 11:21 PM   #45
HiBC

I saw a very similar expression of hope made by a bartender recently.Like the OP,he was just expressing ,IMO,reasonable,common sense expectations.
Some of the comments back have a pragmatic point.The customers are as they are.They are where you dig for gold.It is up to the entrepeneur to figure out how to deal with it,as the only way he can change the population that walks through his door is by running off customers.
How many can you afford to throw away?The money comes from their wallet.
Most everybody has a computer and a plastic card.They have alternatives to your shop.Give them reason to come see you.
At the same time,as we,the customer,read,maybe we can learn something about how to be a better customer.
This is a worthwhile conversation.

Lao Tzu "What is a good man,but a bad man's teacher
What is a bad man,but a good man's job"

Done right,a gun shop can be a center of interest for the shooting sports,a resource.

If it is a given,that people will sight firearms as they look at them,is there a target on the wall,placed to provide the customer a safe direction to point?
As you hand the firearm over"There is a safe direction to sight a target"
Creative solutions can help.
Old January 1, 2011, 12:57 PM   #46
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
"No,we do not sell any handguns that can shoot bullets in circles by you just whipping the gun around as you fire it."
Wrong answer:

Yes, we do Angelina! I love you!

This an funny thread!
Old January 1, 2011, 01:34 PM   #47
isanchez2008

Microgunner

I would be happy to shop at your place of business. If I lived in Florida.

Quote:
The one gun you own out of the hundreds of thousands made doesn't mean it's a great brand... not enough of an example.
Nor does the two you had come back with defects make it a bad one
Old January 1, 2011, 09:17 PM   #48
Dilbert

Newton24b: Did this happen at Marksman in Tucson?
My biggest peeve as a gun store employee: if your friend/ husband/ wife/ girlfriend/ boyfriend/ mother/ father/ whoever comes in with you, and you ask me for advice, and they do not stop talking, every time you ask a question, even when giving BLATANTLY WRONG information, don't get upset when I spend most of my time trying to correct the blatantly wrong information in an attempt to help you get the right gun FOR YOU.
And if you want to talk about how much more accurate, reliable, and well made your Ed Brown is compared to my Colt, fine, but don't get mad when I offer you a chance to prove it and I spank you. With both guns.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old January 2, 2011, 05:49 PM   #49
KMO

Well, I'll ask the same thing I always ask my own subordinate employees when I catch them whining about customers... I'll ask them, "This would be a great job if it wasn't for all these customers, wouldn't it?" I don't know what makes gun shop employees think that they go through anything more difficult than any other worker trying to sell a product. That's just the way it goes in sales...too bad...cry me a river. In this economy, any sales outlet should be darn grateful for any customers that walk through the front door. Why is it that gun store employees think they should be immune to the typical shop-before-you-buy process that every other sales-related business goes through? Try going the extra mile with customers for a change and see if that doesn't result in higher profits...
Old January 2, 2011, 06:21 PM   #50
Wildalaska

Quote:
Why is it that gun store employees think they should be immune to the typical shop-before-you-buy process that every other sales-related business goes through?
LOL....folks don't go to the appliance store just to tell you that your Maytags are crap 'cuz he owned a Sears onct.

The woobie does not exist in the appliance or clothing store

WildthegunshopisadifferentworldAlaska ™©2002-2010