The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2010, 02:32 PM   #26
Scrapperz

lyman digital and redding beam.

I use both to cross check frequently. No matter how you measure consistency is key.
Old February 8, 2010, 07:11 PM   #27
Glock.45

How about some PARANOIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What happens if a nuke goes off and your electronics are fried?
Better to have a beam scale.
JK... well kinda.
Old February 8, 2010, 09:41 PM   #28
Suwannee Tim

I have a Scientech SA510 which I got off ebay, it is a fabulous scale, resolving .002 grains. I think Leadman's .02 grain resolution is plenty. I got the Scientech for pennies on the dollar. I have always believed that a scale should resolve no more than a half of the unit you are trying to measure, better a fifth or a tenth. Example, if you are trying to weigh to a tenth of a grain, you should be able to resolve .05 or .02 or even .01 grains. There is no reloading scale made that can do this. You can get a very high quality scale for reasonable money off ebay if you are patient and willing to spend some time learning about them. You could get burned if you don't know what you are buying. Some report grains, most including my Scientech don't, I had to send it to the factory to have it reprogrammed. A lot of scales on ebay are obsolete and no longer supported by the maker, not good. I agree with some of the caution about using electronic scales but I use a check weight which I periodically weigh to prove the instrument. There is no way in heck I would go back to a mechanical scale. I think the serious reloader is missing out by not having a high quality electronic scale.

Congratulations on your Vicon Leadman, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old February 8, 2010, 09:51 PM   #29
ZeSpectre

I got a small electronic scale just a bit ago....and had to build a cabinet for it because every time the heat kicked on there was enough "breeze" to throw things off.