The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Six Shooter Steve

WCC casings?

I have been lookin around on some auction sites to buy some once fired 9mm brass to reload, and have came across some brass marked WCC and is supposed military brass. Is this brass the same as commercial or is it something totally different? Thanks for any help you guys can provide for a rookie

{There is no problem that can't be solved by the use of high explosives}
Old January 17, 2010, 01:23 PM   #2
rg1

WCC 9MM brass that I bought had a crimped primer pocket. You'd have to remove the crimp by either swaging or cutting the crimped primer pocket. It has been good reloading brass.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Sam06

WCC= Winchester Cartridge Company. The 9mm should not be crimped. Its good brass.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Six Shooter Steve

the auction had it posted as military brass with the year stamped beside the WCC. I am a newbie so if it has the crimped primer pockets, thats somethin I really dont want to get into right now.

{There is no problem that can't be solved by the use of high explosives}
Old January 17, 2010, 02:22 PM   #5
rg1

Here's a bad close-up of a WCC-01 9MM case head showing the crimped primer pocket. Sorry for the poor macro image. This case has been reloaded and the primer pocket was swaged.
Old January 17, 2010, 02:48 PM   #6
jepp2

I swage WCC, FC NT, and S&B brass. If you don't, you are going have a tough time priming. WCC & FC are crimped, S&B is just a very tight pocket with no radius.
Old January 18, 2010, 10:27 PM   #7
medalguy

All military brass (except .30 carbine and match) has crimped primers and the crimp has to be removed or you will crush the new primer trying to insert it. Some commercial such as S&B also needs to be swaged. There are a number of tools to do this job, and some people say they can use a pocket knife to trim away the edge of the crimp. I never tried that. I use a Dillon Super Swager and it's fast and easy. It isn't cheap. RCBS and others make less expensive tools, but if you're going to do very much brass you might want to invest in the Dillon tool. The crimp only has to be removed one time.

You can also buy processed brass that has been resized, trimmed, and swaged. Or you can just try to buy commercial brass only, but generally there's at least a little military brass included. There is also a guy who will process your 9mm brass for you for 2-1/2 cents per piece, that includes deprime, resize, trim if needed, swage primer pocket, and tumble to a brite polish. Hard to beat that. He works under Custom Brass Processing in Abilene, Texas. He does other calibers too.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:48 PM   #8
MR 8x57js

Six Shooter Steve
WCC is Mil-spec Winchester brass and it does it have a crimp in the primer pocket which must be removed before the new primer can be put in. It's very different from the Winchester commercial brass marked WIN in that the Mil-spec brass has les internual volume and a thicker head.

Last edited by MR 8x57js; February 8, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old February 8, 2010, 02:39 PM   #9
ForneyRider

If you are doing low volume or have tight budget, the RCBS swager die works.

Else have your brass processed for you or use the Dillon.

I did several hundred LC, FC, WCC in .223 and was worn out.
Old February 8, 2010, 02:48 PM   #10
jimkim

WCC is Western Cartridge Company. http://www.igman.com/ammunition/codes/W/WCC-USA.html W-W is Winchester-Western.
Old February 8, 2010, 03:25 PM   #11
hodaka

I've removed a lot of crimps with a pocket knife. Cut my fingers from time to time, too. Lately I've discovered that I have a perfectly sized drill bit that will take of the crimp without doing any damage to the pocket. Goes pretty fast and the price is right.
Old February 8, 2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Nate1778

Heavy crimp, I run into them from time to time and toss them.