The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Jseime

Remington 11-87 O-Ring

I have a buddy with an 11-87 that doesnt like to function properly, We stripped it down and gave it a good old fashioned cleaning on the weekend and it improved some but I think the O-Ring in it is shot.

I was hoping one of you fine gents could tell me what kind he needs to buy to replace it because as it stands he has a very nice Remington semi-auto that wont keep up to my Mossberg 500.
Old October 13, 2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Technosavant

Remington spare parts are quite easy to come by. The "barrel seal" is what you're looking for.

I have read that others have used generic O rings of a certain size for the 1100/11-87, but I don't remember what size. I think the info is at Shotgun World if you want to have a peek over there.
Old October 13, 2009, 06:49 PM   #3
oneounceload

take the o ring to an auto parts store and get Viton versions in that size-last forever as long as you don't use oil on them
Old October 15, 2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Jeremiah/Az

You didn't say what the exact problem was,but I assume it is not cycling.Check to make sure the gas seal assembly is in correctly.It will not work if any part is backwards.Not to insult you,but I have seen more than one in that condition! Also check the forearm support.That is a little clip that rides on the two rails.If it is chipped or broken,the arm will not cycle.I doubt that your problem is the o-ring. Hope this helps.
Old October 15, 2009, 05:39 PM   #5
Jseime

Thanks for the help guys, when i took the gun apart for my buddy to clean it I would say that it hasnt been done for a while. I put everything back together the way it came apart so it should be ok.

everything appears to be in good working order and I cleaned/oiled it up. Is it possible that the gas port off the barrel is clogged/dirty I didnt clean the barrel and I doubt he has.

The o-ring looked a little hurtin maybe you guys could describe how its all supposed to be put together and Ill strip it down again?
Old October 15, 2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Jeremiah/Az

Google Remington 11-87 & you will find tons of info. & pictures. It would be too lengthy to describe here. Good luck!
Old October 15, 2009, 06:39 PM   #7
oneounceload

get a drill bit the same size as the port opening and BY HAND, push it through to clear out any gunk.....
Old October 15, 2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Technosavant

Oneounceload described the best way to clean the gas ports- they're most easily reached not through the barrel itself, but in the lower ring that encircles the magazine tube (I forget what it's called).

Probably the best explanation of how to clean a Remington 1100 (or 11-87, they're basically the same design) is found here.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:48 PM   #9
ebutler462

The o-ring for the 12 gauge is #21. The 20 gauge require #19. Be sure it is Viton rubber. They cost around 35 cents apiece. Grainger's carries them if your hardware store doesn't have them in stock. The part # is 2-021 and 2-019. A couple of dollars will buy you a lifetime supply of o-rings.