The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2015, 08:14 AM   #26
mehavey

I'll bump again the Ithaca Model 37 as ideal.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ithaca_37_defense_gun.htm

If you find one (and it's so rugged that used is just fine), snap it up.
Old June 11, 2015, 08:35 AM   #27
MarkCO

Of all of my pump shotguns, for HD I prefer the FNH P12. The Winchester SXP shares the operating system, but they have a recall for a slam-fire issue that came out a few months ago. My first shotgun was an 870 Express and it works fine too. I also have a BPS and a Benelli Nova. All work well. There are differences in length of pull and in the distance between your hands, so that is something to check since you do need to cycled the action manually.

Like others have said, for most of them, it is preference and price. However, the SXP and P12 are two that will function the Aguila mini shells (slugs and buck) which are low recoil and increase your capacity in the tube. That might matter to you or not. I have not shot the Stoeger P350, but that is another option that looks pretty good.

The SG is not my first choice for HDm but if I had to pick one, it would be the FNH P12, probably the BPS second and the Nova in third.
Old June 11, 2015, 10:48 PM   #28
745SW

Downside of the 870 is receiver will rust because unlike many it's steel. When the receiver is aluminum the two lugs of the bolt lock into the barrel. The 870 has to be steel because the bolt is only single lug that locks on a barrel extension.
Old June 12, 2015, 12:41 AM   #29
bungiex88

Go with the 870
Old June 14, 2015, 10:02 PM   #30
ClayBlaster

I need help choosing a pump

Personally I like my Remington 887, modeled after the 870, it has removable chokes and can be used in any weather.
Old June 15, 2015, 07:07 PM   #31
Rangerrich99

^^^^

There's a weather condition in which I can't/shouldn't use my Mossberg 500? Please specify the wx conditions. I doubt I'll see such wx here in AZ but just in case it'd be nice to know.
Old June 17, 2015, 05:01 AM   #32
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Strictly for HD use, I don't think you can go wrong with virtually any brand of pump action shotgun. Mossberg, Remington, Ithaca, Stevens, H&R...They all just work...all the time.
Agreed. Find the one that feels the best with the safety in the most natural position for you, and go with it.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old June 17, 2015, 09:49 PM   #33
Dragline45

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, both have their pro's and cons though you personally cant go wrong with either.

Mossberg Pros:
- Better Saftey position, especially with a pistol grip or lefties
- Dual extractors for more reliable ejection
- Lighter weight due to the aluminum receiver if that's a feature you are looking for
- Cheaper in cost
- Looser tolerances for better reliability in adverse conditions, not that the Remington is unreliable.

Mossberg Cons:
- No mag tube extensions
- Forend Rattle. This actually ties in with the looser tolerances leading to greater reliability in adverse conditions, and it's actually not an issue at all but more of a personal gripe for some
- More recoil due to lighter receiver

Remington Pros
- Mag tube extensions
- Less recoil due to steel receiver
- No forend rattle

Remington Cons
- Heavier (Though this may not be a con to some if you want recoil reduction)
- Less desirable saftey position
- Single extractor vs Mossbergs dual extractor
- More expensive

Last edited by Dragline45; June 17, 2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old June 20, 2015, 09:58 PM   #34
j3ffr0

I just bought the 870 Express HD with the synthetic stock. Shot one at the range (although it was the tactical model) and liked it a lot. Fun guns! Got mine on sale for $350. Hope to get it to the range soon. You ought to be able to get for $350-$400. Maybe a little more if you want the mag extension. I think the tactical model can be had right around.

I opted for the base model without any extras. Just wanted to keep it simple.
Old June 22, 2015, 09:34 PM   #35
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
Downside of the 870 is receiver will rust because unlike many it's steel. When the receiver is aluminum the two lugs of the bolt lock into the barrel. The 870 has to be steel because the bolt is only single lug that locks on a barrel extension.
The upside of steel is it is strong. Have you seen what a Bubba can do to an alloy receive? What does the fact that the 870's lug locks into a barrel "extension" have to do with the strength of the receiver, albeit aluminum or steel? I place the word in quotes since it isn't what I would call an extension but a part of the same billet from which the barrel is machined ( although gunsmiths are known to call this an extension).

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; June 22, 2015 at 09:50 PM.