The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2010, 04:51 PM   #1
spacecoast

9mm vs. .380 resizing

Using a hand press, it becomes painfully obvious very quickly that de-priming and resizing 9mm brass is much more difficult effort-wise than .380. Any plausible explanations as to why, since the cases are about the same size? The 9's are quite a bit harder than .45 ACP as well.
Old February 7, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Sevens

9mm is a tapered case. Hard to tell by looking at it, but factory fresh spec 9mm is just a bit larger at the case head than at the mouth. Resizing 9mm is much like resizing .30 Carbine, but it's a little more difficult to tell.

Resizing tapered cartridges is more difficult across the board.

I am one of the few oddballs out there that uses a touch, I mean just a touch of lube when sizing 9mm. And YES, of course I use a carbide die. I also use it when I size 10mm and sometimes I use it for other handgun calibers, too. Not a lot! Just a touch. Sometimes I'll use it on some and skip a few and go without. It just absolutely makes the sizing operation smoother and easier.

And my tin of Imperial will last through the next 20 years, I think.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:50 PM   #3
MR 8x57js

The 9MM brass is thicker in the mouth!
Old February 7, 2010, 08:58 PM   #4
mete

9mm operates at higher pressure so it would have thicker case . It also has thicker case as it might be used in an SMG.
Old February 7, 2010, 11:49 PM   #5
colospgsAVID

It will be ever more difficult to size a tapered case. IMO full length sizing a straight case is still basically neck sizing for the most part. I am like Sevens, in the fact that I will use a touch of lube in my sizing process on 9mm.

EDIT: Just makes it easier, less wear on the die, makes me feel better. Also of course carbide a die. If you do this you will need to clean and re-lube your die every so often. I clean all of mine fairly often.
Old February 8, 2010, 02:37 AM   #6
Randy 1911

If you compare the design drawings of 9mm and 380 acp you will see that the 380 is a smaller case diameter. Just a few thousandths, but smaller. You can't interchange the dies.
Old February 8, 2010, 06:09 AM   #7
spacecoast

Quote:
You can't interchange the dies.
I wasn't doing that, just trying to find an explanation for the difference in effort required for what are otherwise very similar cases.