The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
joey.franko

9mm bullets sticking in the chamber

i loaded about 10 9mm rounds over and over until i came up with the best reloads and after i perfected it i loaded 300 rounds.i put some rounds in my hk 94 rifle and tried to cycle some through the rifle by just pulling the bolt back over and over to see how they cycled before i fired any.a few of the bullet started getting stuck in the chamber,so i had to take a rubber mallet and tap the bolt back to get the bullet out of the chamber.to make sure it was not the rifle i tried some in my glock 17 and it did the same thing,i had to pull the slide back really hard but did get the bullet out of the chamber.then i tried the same bullets that got stuck before in my sig 226 and they cycled fine.i also tried some reloads that i bought from cheaper then dirt in both the glock and the hk and they cycled through perfect.does anyone know what i am doing wrong and how i can fix it.my test rounds i started with fired through the guns perfect.these rounds may fire through the guns but im scared to try to fire them since they got stuck.my hk 94 is a collectors item and is worth up to 7000.00,i would be sick if i hurt that rifle.please can someone help as i am new at this,thanks [email protected]
Old June 23, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Since you don't say what bullet and OAL you loaded to, there is not much to be said.

Do you gauge or chamber check your reloads?
Old June 23, 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
steve4102

WOW, no punctuation, capitals or paragraphs. Sorry, not going to even try and decipher that one.
Old June 23, 2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Jimro

If your rounds are sticking in your chamber start checking case length. If that is good run them through a sizer die if you have one. If that doesn't fix the problem let us know.

Punctuation is your friend. Groups of sentences can be organized into a logical pattern called a paragraph. Normally three sentences make a paragraph, though you can use up to five without offending too many readers.

Jimro
Old June 24, 2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

I have to agree with the OAL as your first check. Also what bullet did you use?

Anytime I have ever loaded a round that I am not use to I double check my data.

What bullet did you use?

While you are at it what is your powder load?

Finally your AOL?

Best to go back and check them because if you are using the wrong data, and you get the AOL right, you can still have the gun blow up!

Just 30 thousandth's too deep in the casing and the pressure will skyrocket.
Old June 24, 2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Paul B.

Friend of mine had the same problem. I told him to seat the bullets slightly deeper. End pf problem.
Paul B.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:51 PM   #7
jonathon1289

Check the crimp as well. I had an issue with my 9mm pistol where rounds would not seat fully and would not properly eject (plunk tests, was not shooting these yet).
I was comparing with factory rounds and was within .002 on all measurements. Talked with a friend who reloads and after hours of testing and using his 9mm pistols discovered that the rounds seated and ejected fully with just a slight more crimp.
Not exactly the issue as the OP but worth checking.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:04 PM   #8
lee n. field

Couple things can be causing this: Bullet seated high enough to engage the rifling, or not enough crimp.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 25, 2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Sport45

Take a cartridge and paint it, bullet and all with a magic marker.

When you pry it out of the chamberyou should be able to see where the interference is.

Do this with a dummy round or at the range with the muzzle in a safe direction. I don't think it's a good idea to be cranking these through your firearms in the house.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:26 AM   #10
serf 'rett

First guess is the bullet is being rammed into the lands.

Sometimes a particular bullet profile will require deeper seating to keep it off the lands. Powder charges must be reduced with deeper seating.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:30 AM   #11
mikld

A bullet is a "peg". A chamber is a "hole". To get the peg (bullet) into the hole (chamber), it must be smaller than the hole (chamber). First ya gotta find out where the peg is too big (diameter and length)...
Old June 25, 2013, 11:32 AM   #12
serf 'rett

Do the marker test. See where the peg is binding.