The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Sgt.Fathead

Remington 770

I am, as a newby to rifle hunting, kinda' interested in the new Remington 770 package rifles.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi.../model_770.asp

Anyone have one or know anything about them? I am not ashamed to admit I don't know what button rifling is, or much about hunting rifles in general. I was a Marine machine gunner and the only rifle I own at this point is a little Ruger 10/22 in Realtree 3D for plinking.
Old April 11, 2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Jseime

The Remington 770 is a refinement on the earlier model 710 which had some flaws to say the least.

This new version looks pretty good. Button rifling is a style of rifling and I'm not too sure what that is but I know that it is usually very accurate. Remington sells these guns as value priced good shooting guns.

I think that if I were a right-hander I would likely at least take a look at one.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess my recommendation would be to check out a gunshow or two and look at, feel and fondle the stuff on the tables. Same deal at gunshops.

If the basic deal is just to get sighted in and then just go hunting some, it doesn't matter all that much about "a lifetime of quality" and suchlike, of the rifle itself. In that sort of situation, the scope's quality is more important than that of the rifle. A cheap rifle will shoot plenty good. A cheap scope can ruin your whole hunt.

Personally, I'd go looking for a halfway decent rifle in the lower-cost range. Just to pick one, say, a Savage. A fixed 4X from Weaver or Leupold--and even there, used--or, probably Simmons or others, will work just fine. You don't really come out all that far ahead, moneywise, with a package deal unless you're really knowledgeable about the guns, scopes and pricing.

Which gets me back to the "hands on" thing of research at shows and shops.

, Art
Old April 22, 2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Sgt.Fathead

Remington 700

Getting a great deal on a Remington 700 in .30-06 because it is a 2004 Dala Earnhardt edition closeout. Plan on either (a) painting the stock camo myself with Krylon FFusion paint or (b) buying a replacement stock for it in Realtree 3D from Cabela's. Thanks for all the tips!