The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 13, 2005, 11:01 PM   #1
woodland

WOW! Check out this shooting!

http://www.killsometime.com/video/video.asp?ID=81

I think I would have gone for the guy and the gun with him that close.

Last edited by woodland; December 14, 2005 at 02:13 AM.
Old December 13, 2005, 11:21 PM   #2
Hardtarget

That was a year or two ago. Still surprising he didn't connect on the intended target. Lawyer did a good job of surviving! For a while I thought every witness was going to let the shooter just walk away.
Mark.
Old December 13, 2005, 11:40 PM   #3
gdeal

Collapse

The camera man said the lawyer did get shot multiple times and then collapsed shortly there after.
???
Old December 14, 2005, 12:15 AM   #4
kymasabe

Wow, that looked like it might have hurt...alot.
The lawyer looked alright and walked away but they reported he was hit multiple times and then collapsed. Makes me wonder what a drugged up crazy kicking down my front door would be like. I have to rethink if 9mm is enough for home defense. I think it's time for a .45.
Old December 14, 2005, 12:19 AM   #5
jcims

One thing i distinctly remember from the footage on television was seeing the lawyer's hair and lapel getting blown back by the muzzle blast. Amazing how much extra detail a $75k news camera picks up vs. the standard handicam.

Imagine trying to do that in patent leather shoes...he probably collapsed from adrenaline dump.
Old December 14, 2005, 12:28 AM   #6
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Older story, but still has merit for tactics and training. Put yourself in the lawyer's shoes (however objectionable that might be ). No gun, only your wits and what the average business man might have with him. Study the video for surroundings, cover, etc., and anything else of survival value. How would you react and why?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 14, 2005, 12:41 AM   #7
Twycross

What would I do? At that short of a range, I would have just reached out and grabbed the gun! No matter how many times you watch 'The Matrix', you cannot dodge bullets. It would seem easy at that range to capture the shooter's gun hand, and either gain possession of the weapon, or drop the mag and shoot the one in the chamber into the ground, or the into wall behind the lawyer. Or better yet, into the shooter himself.
Old December 14, 2005, 02:45 AM   #8
miconoakisland

No CHP holder interacted?
Where were the LEOs?
They were at a courthouse!
Oh, no concealed carry there!
Bad guy didn't/couldn't have a firearm there, it's against the law!
You can't tell me a guy decided to break the law to shoot another man!
Didn't he know that having a firearm at the courthouse was illegal?!
He broke the law!
Oh yeah, he also attempted to murder a man!
Big reason I carry 24/7 concealed no matter where I go!
You'd think a courthouse was safe with all the LEO's there!
I'd bet the lawyer that was shot either retired or carries all the time now!
Disarm everyone and only the BGs or pychos have guns!
Shooter couldn't have a gun there! He broke the law!
Make liberal politions pay for every violent attack upon an unarmed "subject" in their area.
If guns are illegal in their juristiction (DC, NJ, NYC, CHI, SF) make the polititions personally liable for all violent crime victims!
If a violent crime occurs in a "shall carry" state, then the victim is liable for whatever occurs.
If I can't have a firearm to defend myself in this juristiction, then the people that made that law is responsible for my safety and I could seek legal methods to rectify my loss if I were a victim of a violent crime that could have been avoided by use of a firearm.
Cities that state "we are not responsible to protect citizens" while enacting laws that state "it shall be unlawful to possess a firearm" should be held accountable for all crimes against the same citizens (subjects)!
Why do sheeple accept this??
"we have policemen to protect us, we don't need guns"?
Old December 14, 2005, 03:09 AM   #9
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe
I have to rethink if 9mm is enough for home defense. I think it's time for a .45.
forget the forty-five, get an eleventybillion
Old December 14, 2005, 05:02 AM   #10
roger-ruger

what caliber was the shoooter using?
Old December 14, 2005, 07:22 AM   #11
DavidJBlythe

at least it looked like the lawyer was keeping all his vitals behind the tree... A few arm / shoulder shots would be better than a few sternum hits.

I would put my money on the pistol being a .22 flavor... either Short, Long, LR or WM.
Old December 14, 2005, 07:41 AM   #12
Jack Malloy

I cant look at the video, but it sounds like it's the angry guy shooting the lawyer who tried to use a small tree for cover.
The shooter was using a .38 revolver according to the news, and yes, he did hit the shyster a couple of times. The shyster did not appear to be hit, but he was....Which means that the idea of that weapon having a lot of stopping power is off kilter.
It is possible it was an old .38 s&w round he was using or a target load or the old round nose lead bullet.
Old December 14, 2005, 09:07 AM   #13
Mikeyboy

I remember this one, all the news crews were there to cover the Robert Blake case. From what I remember it was a .38 and the lawyer was not seriously wounded. You wonder what would have happened if that tree was not there.
Old December 14, 2005, 09:32 AM   #14
stephen426

That is some crazy stuff. That guy just waled up to him in broad daylight with all those witnesses around. I would have guessed he would save a round for himself since he doesn't seemed the least bit concerned about getting caught. If I was the attorney, I would have also attempted a gun grab. I might get shot in the hands or legs but I sure as heck am not going to let him pump a few rounds into my chest, .38 special or not!

This video really makes it apparant how under powered the .38 special is. Maybe he was just using round nose versus hollow points but I still feel under gunned with a .38. One other thing could be that the lawyer didn't get hit center of mass due to his quick reactions. He might have gotten clipped on either side but probably not a heart shot.

In this kind of situation, I think it calls for disarming techniques and hand to hand combat rather than reaching for a gun and shooting each other. I learned a few Hapkido moves when I was in Tae Kwan Do for disarming someone with a gun. Its always risky but if the gun is already shooting at you rather than holding you up, you've got to do what you've got to do to survive.
Old December 14, 2005, 09:53 AM   #15
Ares45

Yeah, I remember watching in amazement when that first aired. Thinking to myself how "different" it would be if I was the one dodging bullets.

IMO, at that range, unarmed and with no real cover the lawyer's best bet is to close and disarm. Get a hand on that cylinder and keep it there. If it can't rotate it can't fire. That's my armchair QB look at it anyway.

After looking at the vid several times I'd say the lawyer did a good job of keeping his head/vitals behind cover. If he would have frozen he'd be dead.

Oh and nice tackle.
Old December 14, 2005, 11:26 AM   #16
SMITH910

Everyone in the background appears to be calm some with their backs turned. I know a .38 is loud, why wouldn't everyone hit the ground or show some fear? He could have just turned and started shooting at them. I don't watch the news because of stuff like this on it, that's why I didn't hear about this before. I sure hope CCW gets passed here in the coming months(Wisconsin). If I watch enough news I will talk myself into carrying even though there's no permits issued in this liberal state.
Old December 14, 2005, 12:24 PM   #17
woodland

Yeah, this was the first time I had seen this also. You almost don't believe it at first, it looks almost too comical. Amazing how nonchalant the shooter was. Emptied his gun and then just puts it in his pocket and strolls off like he had just stopped for his dog to water the tree or something.

Everyone always wants to get distance, but there are some situations where you definatly want to CLOSE distance. And then the lawyer just strolls the other way after he stops shooting. I would like to think if it was me, and I was still walking, I'd have been all over that guy. Especialy if he just turned his back and walked off like that.
Old December 14, 2005, 12:30 PM   #18
azredhawk44

Quote:
I learned a few Hapkido moves when I was in Tae Kwan Do...
I hear a lot of TKD people say stuff like this...

Why is it that nobody uses TKD for defense? They use some other martial art for "real" defense rather than TKD?
Old December 14, 2005, 12:57 PM   #19
stephen426

Quote:
I hear a lot of TKD people say stuff like this...

Why is it that nobody uses TKD for defense? They use some other martial art for "real" defense rather than TKD?
You can use TKD for defense, but Hapkido is better at controlling the weapon through joint manipulation rather than simply striking the guy and expecting him to drop the weapon. That is about the best reason I can give for using Hapkido instead of TKD. Now if you are at the level in TKD where you feel you can incapacitate the attacker with a single strike, then by all means, use TKD.
Old December 14, 2005, 12:59 PM   #20
samoand

Just out of morbid curiosity... I'd like to eavesdrop on this guy as he searches for another laywer. And he will need one!
Old December 14, 2005, 01:12 PM   #21
Marky

goes to show you

Thats old news but it just goes to show you that you dont know whats gonna happen when someone gets shot, thats why I dont get into the caliber wars. There are people that are alive and well thats had thompsons emptyed in them yet there are people that have gasp'ed thier last breath being struck with a .25 auto, probally the lameist rd. out there. I personally know a man who was in a abandoned farm house during WW2 and he and his fellow soldier buddies were clowning around with a captured pistol, he described it as a '' .41 Belgiam'' and i didnt ask any questions because I was just listening, but he said a soldier put it to the back of this other soldiers head and pulled the trigger and the dam thing fired! (more to the head meets neck area) And he said that they put the guy in a truck and drove him to a Hospital, and I/we asked what happenrd to him and he said he wasnt sure but the guy was awake and talking to them on the way there. So you just dont know.
Old December 14, 2005, 01:28 PM   #22
AdamGrier_atc

What a nut job!!!!!
Old December 14, 2005, 01:46 PM   #23
rich from PA
Registration in progress

I am not sure if this demonstrates the lack of power of the .38 spl or the amazing power of the human body. I have never been shot, but I have been shot at and I can remember running for cover without a thought. The adrenaline rush from being scared was intense.
Old December 14, 2005, 02:27 PM   #24
Archie

Couple of thoughts from prior posts...

This happened in PDSR California.

The shooter had a problem with the lawyer over a lawsuit. We'll see if the lawyer learned anything. I can't find out much about the weapons; the reports indicate he had two guns, but I only saw one being used. It's a short barrelled revolver. I checked a couple news sources, no information on caliber.

The lawyer survived without much long term effects.

The shooter was determined not competent to stand trial. (He's in the 'home' for an undisclosed period of time.)

The reaction of the witnesses was rather typical. The first reaction is "What is that?" They cannot believe what is happening. Second reaction is "How interesting!" They watch, while not becoming involved. Somewhere down the line comes the "I wonder if I'm next?" thought. Very few seem to realise they are involved and need to do something. The ones who do recognize danger usually have a history; service, victim of crime, gang activity or some such.

The 'authorities' reaction was typical. The shooter (William Strier) was upset over the handling of a trust fund from an accident. Strier had threatened a female case worker within the preceeding couple weeks - who had gone to court for a restraining order. Nothing much was done about this goof or the threat until he shows up and shoots someone. Then it becomes evidence of 'gun violence'.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old December 14, 2005, 07:19 PM   #25
OneInTheChamber

that lawyer must have been really good at dodgeball when he was a kid... miracle he wasn't hit more. Another miracle that he lived. I'd bet he loves that tree more than anything else too.

Hmmmm... I think a ccw would have definetly helped there... but then again that would be an innocent person saving their life with a handgun and according to our gov't that's wrong.

Chase