The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 12, 2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Venom1956

Best way to smooth polymer stock seam?

hey guys I have a new rifle that i love but there are seams in the stock that when holding and with a cheekweld prove... distracting.

What would be the best way to smooth these out and blend them with out making it look like an eye sore? sandpaper with oil? a file? The stock is black. I'll see if I can find out what it is exactly made out of.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 13, 2013, 10:13 AM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
It's not a seam it's a mold mark . Is it above or below the surface of the stock . You will probably have to paint it to cover the marks that you're going to make ! A properly painted stock without mold marks looks much better IMHO .
Old January 13, 2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Venom1956

yeah the seam from the mold. mold mark that's what I was getting at. its completely around the part so top and bottom.

Paint it with what? I was hoping i wouldn't have to... crap. Could you go into a bit more detail?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 13, 2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Slopemeno

Mask on both sides of the line and wet sand gently with 600 grit.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Venom1956

Thats kinda what I was thinking. will the sanded area discolor or lighten or does the 600 grit keep it to a minimum?
Old January 13, 2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Simply scrape it off with a sharp knife. Pull the knife edge away from you.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Venom1956

Tried the sandpaper and the knife. I've done the knife method before. :P just didn't know if I was missing something.

the sandpaper made the polymer really shiny so I decided to use the knife. Turned out ok. Thanks for the ideas and feedback.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:34 PM   #8
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
Venom1956

Sir, Slopemeno is right, tape off areas that you do not want to touch.

The synthetic stocks are easy to sand and 600 will work to remove any seam or molding blemish. now if you do not plan on painting the stock. Use 1000 or 1200 wet sanding paper to put final finish on the stock if you are looking for a real smooth cheek hold. I have had good luck with the Dura Paints also. They are easy to apply with an air brush and will last a long time. They have all different colors, Any more I like to paint my custom made rifles with it unless someone wants the rifle parkerized or something else for a finish.

Good luck with your project

Edward5759

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"