The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 26, 2014, 04:21 PM   #1
wogpotter

Gun show manners

A suggestion if I may.

If you are at a gun show & you see a customer carrying a rifle with no "FOR SALE" sign, price, or other indication of being brought there to trade or sell, consider for a moment that there are several reasons other than buying, selling, or trading for bringing a rifle to a gun show.

Further to that, if you ask that person if the rifle is for sale, barter or trade, & the person says :
"No, it is not for sale, Sorry".

That is the end of the conversation.
Badgering the person, becoming agitated & demanding why then Holy Hell you have a gun there if not to sell it is actually none of you business.

Thanks for enduring this short rant, based in an incident today at a gun show.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 26, 2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Pahoo

It happens !!!

Quote:
Badgering the person, becoming agitated & demanding why then Holy Hell you have a gun there if not to sell it is actually none of you business.
There really isn't any reason to go negative on this. Most guns you see walking around, do not carry signs and most guys want you to ask. I am not shy about doing so and if they say no, I just say okay. There are a number or reasons for someone walking around with a gun and not for sale, is quite common. Where I get testy, is when they start telling you a story, after you ask. A fella once replied; Well, I really don't know. Then there was another guy who got upset when I asked him nicely and he practically shouted; NO!!!
Really too me by surprise and I just wished him a nice day, which I'm sure, he wasn't having. ...... :

Be Safe !!!
Old July 26, 2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Fishing_Cabin

I agree wogpotter. If someone says "no" then that's the end of it, or should be. Unfortunately this situation is not limited to firearms or gun shows as I have seen it in other areas as well, such as car shows, etc, even the people that stop by when they see something sitting out. I try to be polite if asked, but if they don't get the point afterwards that's not my problem.
Old July 26, 2014, 11:25 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

I don't get testy about it, but at one big show I bought a K98 at the second table and spent the next few hours walking around with it slung down my shoulder. The other show attendees were alright, but several vendors wanted to check it out and try and lowball it away from me. One of them offered me my choice of Romanian AKs on his table for it. This was with me being entirely not trying to make a deal.
Old July 27, 2014, 07:19 AM   #5
g.willikers

An approach that usually works is begin with complimenting the person on their gun, instead of trying to buy it, right off.
Something like, "Nice looking gun, what is it"?
Have you ever met anyone at a show who didn't want to talk guns, especially their own?
Then, during the conversation you can say, "Boy, I'd really like one of those; have you seen any here for sale."
If it's for sale, you'll find out, right quick.
Old July 27, 2014, 07:33 AM   #6
wogpotter

Oh there was a rack of them at a table. I directed several enquirers to it but was told by all of them "But those look like hell (which they did)"!

I don't mind the initial asking, that's fine, nor do I mind conversation about what I had, that's fine as well. I had several of them.

My problem was specifically with those who became belligerent after being told politely it wasn't for sale persisting. Interrogating someone isn't going to get me at least, to change my mind & sell you something, exactly the opposite. Remember the old gunsmith's price board where every unwanted question cost another $50.00?

Old July 27, 2014, 08:06 AM   #7
g.willikers

Another approach for trying to buy a gun that's not for sale is to say, "Well, if I offered you twice what it's worth, would you sell it then?"
If the answer then gets changed to yes, it's been established that everything is for sale at a price, and continue from there.
It works the other way, too.
For an insistent would be buyer, quote an insanely high price and see what happens.
Good old salesmanship at work.
Just adds to the fun.
Guns shows are supposed to be entertaining, remember?
Old July 27, 2014, 08:17 AM   #8
UncleEd

Knew a fella some years ago who had a license to own fully automatic guns and loved to get a table at a show to show off that he had them.

If you asked about sales, he'd roughly tell you to bug off.

If you asked to take a closer look or handle his stuff, he'd tell you to bug off.
And not politely.

He just loved to brag that he had the stuff.
Old July 27, 2014, 10:14 AM   #9
MTT TL

Quote:
For an insistent would be buyer, quote an insanely high price and see what happens.
Yep, that always works and proves the axiom that everything is for sale if the price is right. It actually worked once for me when I bought a sub gun and walked off the table. Half hour later I sold it for triple what I paid for it.
Old July 27, 2014, 10:22 AM   #10
aarondhgraham

It's not a question of "gun show manners",,,

It's just a lack of manners in general.

Doesn't matter if it's at a gun show or at church,,,
People don't have the same sense of propriety as I was raised with.

We live in a society where rude is the new norm.

It sucks and I see no (legal) cure for it.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 27, 2014, 10:48 AM   #11
Pahoo

We all need thicker skin !!!

It's rare for me to have communications problems with folks walking around the show. Now, dealers is another situation. For some of the reasons you are eluding to, I refuse to deal with some dealers regardless of what they might offer. I just walk past their tables and they know why. ....

Another thing that I do, if I have a firearm that is definitely not for sale, is to leave it with one of dealers that I trust. Also, if I bring a firearm that I just want to show to someone, I keep it in a case ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 27, 2014, 11:20 AM   #12
wogpotter

That would have worked perfectly.
Unfortunately the reason I had it there was to buy a case that fitted!
It'll work next time though

Old July 27, 2014, 05:28 PM   #13
DavidAGO

It may be a bit of thread stealing, but I am on 2 other internet forums a fair amount. On one of them, there is currently a big spat because of typical rudeness because we are all hidden behind log in names and distance. Rudeness is a big problem, but I have to say this forum is head and shoulders above the majority in civility. I have never been to a gun show, but I cannot imagine people there can be any ruder than those at high school football games, little league baseball games, and shopping at Wal Mart.

David
Old July 27, 2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Pahoo

Some even vote !!!

There are times when it frustrates me, for I do know that God did not put perfect people, on earth. However, I do know that he gives us support, on how to tolerate them. "Our" only solution lies in us and not them. ....

Keep it Sunny and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 27, 2014, 09:40 PM   #15
Smokey Joe

Rude people...

At a gun show you get asked about the weapon you are carrying around. That's a given. I agree that "No." should mean "No." I also agree that some people won't stop at "No," but "I'm sorry, it is NOT for sale, sir." has stopped any harrangue I've encountered.

A thought: the people I meet at gun shows have a good deal more general politeness and just plain couth, than the run-of-the-sidewalk people. Mebbe I'm just lucky.

Point of all this is, that I was recently given a phrase I'd like to share, if one is considering someone else's rude/obstreperous/disruptive/annoying behavior. This phrase, repeated to one's self or one's companion, is kind of soothing.

The phrase is, "Not my circus, not my monkeys." It gets used at my house at least once a week. Saves all manner of being upset about someone else's behavior which is quite out of my control. FWIW.

--Smokey Joe
Old July 28, 2014, 08:59 AM   #16
Skans

There are several reasons to carry a gun around at a gun show other than for purposes of selling it:

1. looking for parts, sights, grips, scopes, scope rings, mounts, etc.
2. Just bought it 3 tables down
3. looking to get it engraved or have other work performed on it
4. looking for estimate of value (although, this is not a good way to go about doing this)

I sometimes have my carry piece with me at the gun show (unloaded and checked of course) just because I don't want to leave it in a car out in the parking field.

Nothing much bothers me at gun shows. Low-ballers, extremely high prices, people wanting to know what you "have in the box", etc. It's all part of the fun!

Last edited by Skans; July 28, 2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old July 28, 2014, 09:57 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

Some years ago I was carting a shotgun I had just bought out of the a show. Guy asked me if it's for sale, and I tell him no. He asks me if it's not for sale, then why do I have it at the show?

He looked kind of sheepish when I told him that I had just bought it...

Some people just don't think...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:18 AM   #18
FrosSsT

Quote:
It's just a lack of manners in general.

Doesn't matter if it's at a gun show or at church,,,
People don't have the same sense of propriety as I was raised with.

We live in a society where rude is the new norm.

It sucks and I see no (legal) cure for it.
Nailed it
Old July 29, 2014, 09:35 AM   #19
JimDandy

Let's face a few facts here:

Manners in general are in decline.

Large conventions like a gun show are even worse.

Every time I go, I get less and less interested in gun shows, RV shows, and our Outdoorsman show. I've had the opposite experience you guys are describing. I wasn't interested in purchasing the rifle with a for sale sign on it being hauled around by some wandering guy. And I had to tell him so every time he shoved it in my face when we crossed paths going in opposite directions.

This sort of thing grates on us because we're already annoyed at the thousands of people who think their need to stop and look at a booth from the center of the aisle that should be reserved for through traffic outweighs everyone else's need to go past the booth. Stand on a wall and people watch at any show you want. See how many display the attitude It's a Me First World, and you're less important than I am.