The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2014, 03:27 PM   #1
iraiam

SS Pin media in Vibratory Tumbler

I got to where I could no longer stomach all the noise from my rotary tumbler and running SS pin media.

I know we have all been told that vibratory tumblers don't work with pin media, but lets think about that for a minute. The SS pin media is heavy compared to walnut shell or corn cobb, so I agree, a small tumbler that is designed to work about 4 pounds probably won't work.

I can tell you the Harbor Freight 18 pound vibratory tumbler, will handle 10 pounds of SS pin media, about 50 30-06 cases and enough water to cover said media just fine.

The time for this method seems to be roughly the same as well, for just a good shine on the outside is 30 minutes. 2 hours results in a completely cleaned and shined case, primer pockets and flash holes included.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 14, 2014, 03:51 PM   #2
TylerOutdoorsman

I have been wondering if this would work with any decent results. I only have a small Frankford Arsenal vibratory tumbler, but would be interested to know if anyone has gotten decent results from any form of vibratory tumbler.
"...Let he who does not have a sword, sell his cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36b

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.