The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 7, 2010, 08:36 PM   #1
az_imuth

75mm Remington UMC Info Needed

I'm not sure if this is the right area for my question, but it seems to fit better here than elsewhere.

I need some help finding information on this 75mm round. It seems to have been made by Remington UMC, is 75mm and was made in 1915(?). My question relates to who the round was made for. When I googled the info on the headstamp, it immediately came up with French websites discussing these rounds. Also, it has an anchor stamped on it right next to an "S". Was this used by the navy?

Here are a couple of pics. I can supply more if necessary.
Thanks in advance for any help received.

Old April 7, 2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The Navy didn't have no stinkin 75mms in those days, they had a 3 inch for the job. Remington used an anchor stamp for a lot of markings not connected with the Navy. So a 75 made in 1915 would likely have been in support of the French before we entered the war.
Old April 7, 2010, 09:26 PM   #3
az_imuth

Thanks, Jim. I saw the "75" and the inside diameter of what's left of the casing measured 75mm, so I assumed (...and we all know what they say about assumptions).

Okay, a couple more questions:

1) Any idea what the "75 DE C" denotes?

2) And does anyone know who would have worn a hat similar to this piece of
artwork? I thought it looked French with buttons from an American uniform.

Thanks again
Old April 8, 2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

75 DEC very likely stands for 75mm de Campagne, French term for Field Gun.

It was for the French Matériel de 75mm Mle 1897, or the very famous French 75 of World War I fame.

The American army was issued many of these gun (we had virtually no artillery of our own) when our forces arrived in France.

The buttons certainly look old enough to be World War I. They appear to be standard Army uniform buttons, the pattern which was originally adopted in, IIRC 1900.

Proportionally, the hat actually looks a bit like the standard officer's visor uniform hat from World War I.

You can see a picture here: http://www.ushist.com/world-war-one_...rms_us_f.shtml

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 9, 2010, 06:48 AM   #5
az_imuth

Mike,
Thanks for the additional info. That makes a lot more sense to me. I was trying to figure out why a Frenchman's art made with U.S. buttons on a French artillary shell would end up in the U.S. It's unfortunate that this piece didn't come with a little historical information, but the fellow I bought it from didn't recall much about it.

Thanks again for the help.
Old April 29, 2010, 12:16 AM   #6
kraigwy

I dont know where she found it, but my step daughter gave me this 75 MM Shell. It was apparently made for C Co, 305th FS BN. 81 Div. (which is engraved on the shell).

Also it list on the other side, what I believe to be campaines, VOSGRESS-MTS, SOMMEDIUE, MEUSE, ARGONNE, VERDUN-----then NOV 11, 1918, AEF.

A few years later, I found this book at a garage sale in Indiana. It was written right after the war, a close up history of the Great War.

Of course I grabbed up the book, but it wasnt until I got home that I found it had a Crushed Poppy, inside. Making it priceless.

This is one of my prise positions, the combo, shell and book. It still tears me up when I go through the book. I just pray that one of my kids gets it, and understand what it means.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 29, 2010, 12:29 AM   #7
kenno

AZ the anchor is a common icon for brass. the French 75mm gun was one of the first light field guns with a effective recoil system that ejected the spent round making it a 'rapid fire' gun for it's time. needless to say there were 100,000s of these spent casings being shipped back from the front and some bright american wag assembled souvineers from odds and ends available. I imagine that these are quite valuable now, I would use a magnifing glass to look for initials, unit designations, dates etc scratched into the metal.