The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 2, 2009, 07:33 AM   #51
Mowog

@ Shortwave:
"work diligently to change the mindset of the general public (that are our jurors) that just because you own/like guns your not bad."
I agree. To be more clear - posing with a gun pretending to menace the camera or behaving poorly is a bad idea. I think this instance counts.
@ OntheFly:
I'm not taking it as a personal attack, thanks! Absolutely correct that a person's firearms hobby would be used in court, and any evidence with respect to type, quantity, clubs or activities (even if its not on the internet!). I think its a bad (dumb) idea to show a deliberately provocative image of yourself pointing a gun at the camera, sends a bad message. Smiling photos of everyone having a nice time at a match or the range - that makes a more 'responsible' presentation. Why provide a bad image for use against yourself or your hobby if you can responsibly avoid it with some internet common sense. My opinion of course.
Old March 2, 2009, 06:20 PM   #52
shortwave

Mowog, Thanks for clarification! Picture form, bad idea,maybe but not illegal. IMO,Getting put on admin. leave from job for this picture taken on her own time is wrong. As previously stated, this is a 1st Amend. not 2nd Amend. case. Seems as though I remember a situation where a female firefighter posed nude for Playboy and was fired. Believe she sued and got her job back. Since both teacher and firefighter`s are public servants it will be interesting to see the outcome of this lawsuit(if filed). Posing nude-holding evil gun
Old March 2, 2009, 06:39 PM   #53
armsmaster270

Do what I do put a disclaimer below it then no one can say jack

Gun is Loaded

Picture taken with timed camera on tripod NEVER try this with a hand held camera
You can find this picture on my web site under My Brother Ron Nichols and if you want you can use it if you wish.
Old March 2, 2009, 06:52 PM   #54
armsmaster270

Quote: On The Fly
I don't know. She looks kind of dangerous (possibly mentally unstable) to me. Just look at the way she's holding the gun. It's like she intends to actually shoot it.

And how should she hold it? Like a Bat?
Old March 2, 2009, 10:04 PM   #55
shortwave

armsmaster, glad you chose the 'evil gun' pic rather than 'posing nude' pic.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:45 PM   #56
OnTheFly

Quote:
And how should she hold it? Like a Bat?
armsmaster270...In case that was a serious question, you left out my (sarcasm) and (eek!) smilies. That was a display of my odd, dry sense of humor.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...