The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 24, 2012, 11:45 AM   #26
Mello2u

Quote:
lapetrarca53 post #13

Take the test!
Whenever anybody questions the capability of my .380 for self defense, I offer to perform the be all, end all test to resolve the question once and for all.

I tell them they can wear as many layers of clothing of their choosing and stand 50' downrange. I'll empty all 7 rounds in their direction and then we'll see if indeed, the .380 is not a good self defense caliber.

I've yet to find anybody willing to disprove that theory.
Your post is a classic example of Ignoratio elenchi, also known as irrelevant conclusion. Ignoratio elenchi is the informal fallacy of presenting an argument that may or may not be logically valid, but fails nonetheless to address the issue in question.

You test has nothing to do with whether the .380 acp is a good self defense caliber. It is not at all related to that end.

Your "test" would only demonstrate whether a person was capable of recognizing that the high likelihood of being hit by any bullet fired from a firearm is a bad thing.
" Frederic Bastiat

Last edited by Mello2u; December 25, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old December 25, 2012, 02:21 AM   #27
warningshot

Quote:
You test has nothing to do with whether the .380 acp is a good self defense caliber. It is not at all related to that end.
How do you say, "The .380acp Ends-Justifys-the-Bullet-Means," in Latin?
Old December 27, 2012, 12:10 AM   #28
godot

As I recall for a period of about ten years, a certain gun magazine did alternate articles:

A: Revolvers vs Simi Autos
B: .380 vs 38

The result of article B was they were close. The 38 was the standard LEO caliber for much of America during the 20th Century. Some of those officers had violent confrontations with bikers & people with down jackets and even 3 piece wool suits and a top coat on and won. Leather is not titanium. It can be pierced with a ice pick or even a needle. Visit your local shoemaker for verification. Try on a leather jacket and look in the mirror and ask yourself "Am I bulletproof in this?". Do a Google search on "leather jacket stops bullet" and your going to find a lot of examples of it failing miserably.

In short being giving the choice of being the person with the leather jacket or being the person firing the .380, I'd opt to be the latter EVERY time.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:46 AM   #29
L_Killkenny

The ability to carry isn't a license to be stupid. Hang out in better places.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:00 AM   #30
Ghost1958

Thanks for the responses. At least the ones that had anything to do with the question I posed. From the answers and since asking the question here borrowing a 380 and doing a little testing of my own Ive come to these conclusions.
1 Almost all of the good folks responding had at least civil well thought out opinions based on their experience.
2 Given the choice I would rather be the shooter than the shootee even using a bb gun. (I knew that one already)
3 That leather isnt bullet proof but a heavy biker jacket and vest will pretty much take the starch out of a 380 to do much else than get thru it. (Finally just broke over and checked that out for myself)
4. That L_KillKenny has no reading comprehension. Or just doesnt like bikers which Im used to and can live with either way.
5. And lastly that though I am in no way knocking the 380 and smaller calibers, a 9mm is probably the lightest caliber I probably should be depending on , 357 and 45 likely being what I should stick with.
Happy New Year and thanks to all of you.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:50 AM   #31
rwsmith

quikdraw sez

You're all just a bunch of wannabe's, this is the ultimate in firepower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1sS1TmXF38

However, I will concede it is difficult to conceal. :

====================

Man you have to get a away from those thermonuclear bombs. They aren't accurate and can't drop anything over 800 miles away.
Old December 31, 2012, 12:09 PM   #32
qwiksdraw

OK, so sometimes I do get a little too competitive.

Happy New Year, ya'll!