The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1
customaquatics

fiance picked out a gun..

she picked out a new version of the Smith and Wesson Sigma .40, im a sticky on getting guns that are worth buying an not having to send back every month cause of something going wrong. are these new one's worth the money or should we look into trading for something else? She also looked at Taurus 809 i believe and a taurus millenium pro 45. which one of these would be the better one
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.

Last edited by customaquatics; December 2, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Tinner666

I'd go with the S&W over the other two.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3
customaquatics

that is what i was thinking i had a older version of the sigma an i loved it except for the trigger pull but she pulled it an said it didn't bother her. am i able to get trigger springs for this to lighten up the pull?
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:01 AM   #4
crazy charlie

Apex Tactical Specialties for Sigma springs. They're suppose to be good.
I sent mine back to S&W for a trigger reset problem and it came back smooth as silk. Don't know if Apex will improve what came back from the factory for me, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a possible alternative for you.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:33 PM   #5
loose_holster_dan

if you love her, you will keep her away from all 3. taurus is a junk brand. plain and simple. however, even a taurus will be more reliable than the sw sigma or sd series.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 2, 2012, 01:40 PM   #6
scsov509

If she liked the Sigma, then I'd take a look at the M&P as well. They're going to feel quite similar, but the M&P is a much better gun overall.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

The Sigma isn't their finest gun, but I've found them accurate and reliable despite the terrible trigger noted above.

Steer well clear of Taurus. While they can make a decent gun, they also make many that are very bad.

I'd also suggest looking at various Ruger firearms.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Coltman 77

Quote:
The Sigma isn't their finest gun, but I've found them accurate and reliable despite the terrible trigger noted above.

Steer well clear of Taurus. While they can make a decent gun, they also make many that are very bad.
Great advice.

I'd suggest she go with a S&W M&P (C) in 9mm. Great pistols at a very reasonable price point.

9mm is much smoother to shoot and with today's high tech jhp ammo just as effective as .40 S&W for SD purposes.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 3, 2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Skans

I'll take a S&W anything over a Taurus anything!
Old December 3, 2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Zhillsauditor

As a glock copy, the sigma is functional. The trigger is so bad, however, that I would recommend against it. Even with better springs and a trigger job, it is still not a very good trigger. I have a coworker (older woman) that bought one. She thought the trigger pull was okay, but when I took her to the range, she tired of pulling the trigger after two magazines. I took it home with me and tried to clean up the trigger and change the springs, but the difference was not enough. She has since sold the gun and bought a glock and is much happier. I'm not the biggest glock guy, but the trigger is much better than the sigma.

Personally, I'm a walther ppq guy right now, when I'm not a CZ P01 guy.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:45 PM   #11
drail

I have personally seen so many Sigmas lock up on people at the range that I wouldn't go near one. The Sigma was a hurriedly contrived response to the Glock. The trigger is about as good as a cheap staple gun.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:30 PM   #12
michael t

I would look at a different pistol and not in 40 cal. Unless she has fired a 40 and liked it. I didn't like the recoil and kept my 45
Old December 3, 2012, 11:52 PM   #13
bitttorrrent

Quote:
I'll take a S&W anything over a Taurus anything!

I have personally seen so many Sigmas lock up on people at the range that I wouldn't go near one. The Sigma was a hurriedly contrived response to the Glock. The trigger is about as good as a cheap staple gun.
]
Conflicting advise guys. The Taurus sucks, but the S&W is compared to a staple gun!

Taurus must have made some people mad, but I have two that are just awesome?

You two I took quotes from have many more posts than I, but I just wanted to say that there are some good Taurus pistols.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:15 AM   #14
scsov509

Quote:
The trigger can be improved, but I've also seen too many issues with the Sigma to feel confident in its reliability. I bought a NIB Sigma 9mm several years back and took it to the range only to find that the magazines would literally fall out of the magazine well about every second or third shot while being fired. Smith and Wesson said it was a faulty magazine catch, but replacing that didn't resolve the issue. My confidence in the pistol was poor enough at that point that my LGS took it back and allowed me to apply the purchase price toward a different handgun.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:45 AM   #15
thedudeabides

You don't know if a trigger pull sucks until you shoot with it.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:13 AM   #16
zombieslayer

You CAN do worse than a Sigma. Just not much. I'm admittedly not a fan of them, or Taurus products. Seems she likes a long da trigger pull.
I've found that its useless to even argue with women over anything, especially firearms. Best just to let them have their way.
Case in point- my best friends fiancee got her concealed carry permit. I am the kind of person who really encourages women to carry. So as a gift, I said "here, take my 9mm PPS, its as good a carry gun as you can get". She wouldn't have anything to do with it, because it "wasn't purple". She ended up getting a "pretty" gun that jams horribly. But she's happy, its so fashionable and all.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
if you love her, you will keep her away from all 3

This... I'm not going to recommend anything other than what you mentioned. You asked out of those 3. If you want to branch out. Ask away.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Technosavant

I bought a used Sigma (low round count) off a guy.

The trigger is indeed miserable- the best that can be said is that it's consistent; the pull is extremely heavy. However, it's quite reliable, very ergonomic, and if you learn to handle the trigger it can be shot accurately.

IMO, there's really no new pistol that can be had at a similar or lower price that's worth the time. But not much more can put a person into something that is easier to master. I'd definitely take the Sigma over the assorted Taurii, and if that's the gun she wants, then by all means do it. An Apex trigger might be worth it (haven't done it to mine), but I'd probably see if she liked the M&P before plunking down cash on the Sigma.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:04 PM   #19
Lordy123

I have a sigma SW9VE, I saw it at gander mountain for $200 pre owned. Figured it would make a good truck gun, or something, whatever, for the price, I wanted it.

After taking it home and taking it apart I could tell it wasn't fired much. I was overall happy about it and shot 200 blazer FMJs through it the next day. Wasn't happy with the trigger after that so I did some research and took the trigger pig spring out while I was cleaning it. The next weekend I shot a 250 round Remington gold box through it and didn't have any complaints about the trigger this time. Didn't have a single problem with jams or FTE with either trip.

I haven't shot it again as I'm having too much fun with a SR9c, but for the prices I've seen them at(279 new), I think the sigma is a great starter.

My 0.2C