The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 5, 2015, 04:29 PM   #26
g.willikers

From my own experience, the lower tier manufacturers are as often to make a really good gun as anyone else.
Maybe not as regularly, but still plenty of them.
The trick seems to be to investigate the one you're planning on buying in person.
Not a bad idea for any gun, actually.
If it passes muster, then you have a real bargain.
If not, ignore it and try again.
I've gotten really good and inexpensive guns that were passed on without much of a glance by many others.
Old August 5, 2015, 04:45 PM   #27
Radny97

I own two Rossi 92 Lever actions and a Rossi shotgun. Never had a problem with any of them and all of them have been accurate out of the box. I also own lots of Ruger's Winchesters Remington's and other guns. Rossi isn't as nice as these guns but also not as expensive. By not as nice I mean their aesthetics. They all go bang and they all function well and they are all reasonably accurate (not match accurate just reasonably accurate). I wouldn't hesitate to rely on one. That said, if one breaks down the customer service is poor and it's hard to find a gunsmith to spend time on one. I would certainly choose a Ruger or a Smith and Wesson over a Rossi, just like I would choose a Lexus or an Acura over a Honda or a Toyota. But I would still be comfortable driving a Honda or a Toyota across the country.
Old August 5, 2015, 06:04 PM   #28
Doc Holliday 1950

If so, I have a great friend who's a master gunsmith. I am not worried about this. It arrived in superior condition. Clean as a whistle and the cylinder didn't
make a sound when i shook it. Brought snap caps with me to try out the action. Big surprise DA & SA was pretty decent. Overall, so far, 100 % ok
Doc
Old August 5, 2015, 06:52 PM   #29
t4terrific

why is Rossi so underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday 1950 View Post
I'd like the Forum to weigh in and tell me why Today's Rossi is not a well made weapon. In the past they were spotty at best. That is past History. But, for the past few years their product is different. I am not even suggesting that Rossi is in the same league as S&W or Ruger. But for the $$$ Rossi now makes a pretty good revolver. For under $285 that's pretty good.

My past 2 acquisitions of Rossi have been excellent.(in the past 4 years). I never had any problems, they were accurate and went bang every time.

I do expect a ton of Agita on this.

Doc

In what ways are the new Rossis better now than they were?

I've never owned one, but am well aware of their rep as cheap junk. How would you try to convince someone that now they make high quality stuff?

If I believed Rossi was quality, I'd buy a couple of their offerings, like lever guns and sxs's.

Last edited by t4terrific; August 5, 2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old August 5, 2015, 07:29 PM   #30
Doc Holliday 1950

All I can go by is my own experience with Rossi. Try to convince someone of it, Not on a bet would I do that. You either get one and then make up your mind or you listen to "the In " experts.
i KNOW THAT THE OLD RAP ON ROSSI WAS BLAH. Kind of like the old Audi Car
They were terrible autos for many years, but now they rank right up there in quality.
I know how good my Rugers is, I have 2 and absolutely like them. I also owned 2 Rossi guns and they were great.
So what's your point??? Do you or have you ever owned or used a Rossi Revolver?? If not, how can you make an intelligent assessment on it?
There are already 26 or 27 people who have posted on this and their cool with Rossi. You again, how do you know "they're cheap junk"??

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; August 5, 2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old August 5, 2015, 07:49 PM   #31
Targa

I have a Rossi 92' and a Rossi Plinker, not one complaint or fear that they are going to self destruct on me. I take that back, my one complaint is that the rifle shoots a bit high loaded with .44 spl loads.
Old August 5, 2015, 08:24 PM   #32
Doyle

Quote:
In what ways are the new Rossis better now than they were?
Because they had nowhere to go but up.

At one time, I had a little Rossi .22 pistol that my Grandfather had confiscated off some bad guy. He retired from policing in 1974 so it was older than that. That thing was the poster child for the pot-metal Saturday Night Special. Total piece of crap.
Old August 5, 2015, 08:54 PM   #33
Doc Holliday 1950

Have you tried one lately?? Same old story. Until you walk a mile in my shoes, you don't know gotz.( that's Italian for , well, we are all gentlemen and ladies here. I'm sure you understand. If you've owned a Rossi in the past 3 o4 5 years
and you still think that they are "crap". That's okay with me. At least you tried and I totally respect your comments. But if you haven't.???
Old August 5, 2015, 09:09 PM   #34
Doyle

Doc, you are probably right - today's Rossi is not the same as yesteryear's Rossi. However, I still think Lee N. Field said it best in his post - Rossi is Taurus's "budget brand". I refuse to buy a branded Taurus because I still don't trust their "quality improvements". That means I have even less faith in their budget brand.

I may be missing out on a decent firearm. I can live with that.
Old August 5, 2015, 09:13 PM   #35
poboyspecial

I have put several 100 rounds through my Rossi 357 snubby, no problems, no worries. I think it is a formidable weapon.
Old August 5, 2015, 09:43 PM   #36
WVMountaineer

I own 4 Rossi Pistols. All in the 357 Mag. One 4 inch barrel, and three 2 inch barrel. They are all extremely accurate, very reliable, timed well, and easy enough to look at. The 4 inch barreled gun gets strapped to my side when cruising timber often. It has been in the mud, the rain, the wet, the cold, etc... and just as accurate as any pistol I own. And, the bluing has held up very well in the holster. The short barrels conceal well, have a great grip and are the best bargin on the market for a reliable wheel gun that packs a big punch. I like them as well as any of the S&W's I have. They aren't a Ruger in anyway but, they fit the purpose they are intended for very well and if I needed another, I would NOT hesitate to buy one. I really like them. I was just thinking about switching back to one for CC as I'm tiring of the pant tug my 45 and loaded 9mm cause. They are great guns. God Bless
Old August 5, 2015, 10:21 PM   #37
WVMountaineer

HTML Code:
try to get a current Rossi repaired. after the wait time and cost out of your pocket you might consider another brand of gun. that said, if you get a good one its usually pretty good.
As, I can't speak of the Rossi wait time but, I know of another company that will let you grow old without your weapon, if ever needed to be sent back. I think their name is Smith&Wesson. at least according to the thousands of internet posts about the standard 9-14 week turnaround times customer experience. Rossi's might be longer. I don't know as none of mine have had to be sent back. But, it probably takes a while to get to Brazil.

God Bless
Old August 5, 2015, 10:40 PM   #38
Doc Holliday 1950

taking my new Rossi 357 2' TO THE RANGE TOMORROW. We shall see what we shall see. I will try to post pics of my targets. I'll be firing 38 P+ 125 grains ammo and 357 full boat ammo.
Doc
Old August 5, 2015, 11:10 PM   #39
Doc Holliday 1950

lets narrow down the responses. Everyone who has owned a Rossi of yesterday year and those who own today's Rossi please contribute your knowledge to the Forum. I have not heard of too many people who have bad results with the newer Rossi guns. If it stinks, then tell us. Obviously there are quite a few of our Forum members who own Rossi or have in the past 3 years. it's running 30-1 in favor of a good results owning and using Rossi guns and NO I AM NOT ROSSI STOOGE.It's just that i have an open mind to what's going on in the Wheel World.
Must remind that my first wheel was a 1967 Python in super condition. So I really don't know "crap'. Sure, Rossi and Taurus are not Pythons but "almost" no wheel is. So, my ratings for all my wheels are based on my Python. So, Rossi rates a 6.5 to 7 on the scale of Pythons.
Doc
Old August 6, 2015, 12:38 AM   #40
kozak6

I have never owned or fired a Ross revolver.

But, their quality has apparently varied wildly across the years. The problem is that I don't know anything about revolvers. I don't think I can tell a good one from a bad one until issues appear. Why should I take a risk? Particularly since support is such an issue.

Rossi is currently positioned as Taurus's budget line. That also makes me nervous.

Besides, a Ruger really isn't that much more. Ruger has a well earned reputation for stellar customer service. I also think it's pretty neat that Ruger makes them 100 miles north of me.

If I had to cheap out, I think I'd go with a used S&W police trade or even a Windicator instead of a Rossi.
Old August 6, 2015, 01:07 AM   #41
weblance

Im considering a Rossi 462, because no one else currently makes a small frame-6 shot .357 snub.

Why does only one revolver manufacturer offer a small 6 shot 357 ?
Old August 6, 2015, 04:36 AM   #42
stagpanther

Like I said--my Rossi carbine works great now--but it required do-it-yourself modifications to get that way. You'll read of ones that right out of the box shoot well--but the mere fact that a guy makes his living by offering post-purchase mods should tell you something.

But here are some of the things myself and others have run into:

The wood used can be very inconsistent in quality and hardness. Mine came with a very soft stock material that I did trust to hold together. Their way of holding the magazine to the barrel with a mag cap screw is prone to failure and also can distort alignment of the barrel. They make every part--including the screws, which have their own thread pitch--so if you break or lose that screw--the entire weapon goes back to Brazil. I doubt their US customer service is anything more than a business office (Braztech) in FL that ships weapons back and forth to Brazil--but I could be wrong and it sure would be informative if someone actually stopped in and checked them out.

Even though they are "budget priced" compared to say S&W, Marlin etc. I think they are still a bit overpriced for the quality of what you get--and they simply are adding a premium for the "cowboy action mystique." The only reasons I have this gun is because it weighs under 5 lbs and can handle the hottest 44 mag loads I whip up, and admittedly is tremendously fun and useful as a target and woods hunting gun--I can't think of anyone else that makes a lever gun like quite like it.
Old August 6, 2015, 05:53 AM   #43
Homerboy

Taurus is already considered the budget revolver. Now Rossi is the "budget budget revolver"? As for reliability, how many rounds until you consider it reliable? 300? 500? That's not a lot.

For ME, I think confidence in a gun is very important. I just wouldn't have it in a budget gun. I've heard good things about the Hi-Point. The Louisiana movie theater shooter successfully used one to murder 2 people, wound several others, and then shoot himself. So did the Colombine shooters. So I guess the Hi Point worked well enough.

Doesn't mean I'd strap one on as my daily carry piece. And the fact that the guns are made in Brazil just turns me off. What kind of workers does a poor country employ? How well trained are they? Dedicated?

For me, in a new revolver, I'd get a Ruger. Less expensive than Smith, made in America, fantastic customer service, no key hole in frame.
Old August 6, 2015, 06:01 AM   #44
oldhunter

I have owned two Rossi revolvers for about 25 years. First one is a model 971 .357 with 6" SS barrel. The other is a model 88 .38sp with 2" SS barrel. Both have been shot at least a 1,000 times with never a mishap. Quality is good and compares with Taurus or Charter Arms. Recently gave the 971 to my son but still shoot the .38 a couple times a year. Also own S&W and Ruger handguns and prefer them to a Rossi but feel Rossi long ago moved out of the Saturday Night Special comparsion. In addition to the handguns, I have a single shot Rossi .410 shotgun used by grandchildren as a learning tool and short range rabbit or squirel gun. Best of all is a Rossi model 92 lever with 20" barrel in .357/.38sp. This rifle shot very accuratly right out of the box and took a buck at 60 yards with one round the first time hunting. I also own many other firearms made by Winchester, Remington, Ithaca, Savage, Mossburg, Marlin, Springfield Armory, H&R, etc. and my Rossi guns have a place in my gun safes with these other fine guns.
Old August 6, 2015, 07:21 AM   #45
Onward Allusion

I have a couple of Rossi revolvers. The older one has a thin finish and is a bit loose on the lock-up. Shoots pretty much POA but definitely a tier 3 gun. I also have a newer 971. Surprisingly the finish is on par with the rest of Taurus guns and lock up is a lot tighter. The crazy thing is that it shoots around 3" at 25 yards which is pretty good for someone who usually shoots 2" at 10 yards on a normal day.
Old August 6, 2015, 07:46 AM   #46
dahermit

Quote:
At one time, I had a little Rossi .22 pistol that my Grandfather had confiscated off some bad guy.
In what jurisdiction are police allowed to confiscate property and convert it to their own use? Is that not ceasing property without due process of law? I thought there was an amendment that dealt with that.
Old August 6, 2015, 08:41 AM   #47
Doyle

Quote:
In what jurisdiction are police allowed to confiscate property and convert it to their own use?
Like I said, he retired in 1974. Started walking a beat in WWII. Totally different world today than back then.
Old August 6, 2015, 09:13 AM   #48
indie_rocker

I have an M355 Interarms Rossi in 38 Special. Basically a great copy of the Chiefs Special. It's a pre-Taurus piece and I haven't had any problems with it. I bought it used a couple years ago and have run everything from powder puff loads to heavy hitting hand loads with no problem. All the parts look original and it appears to have been carried quite a bit and shot little.

I have been tempted to buy a newer Rossi a couple times but am honestly hesitant because of Taurus's involvement. I'm just not sure about the quality of their new stuff. If I could find enough positive reviews about current production, it would definitely sway me.
Old August 6, 2015, 09:45 AM   #49
WVMountaineer

For what it is worth the 4" Rossi I own is 5 years old. Just as good as the ones bought within the last year and a half. God Bless
Old August 6, 2015, 10:06 AM   #50
WVMountaineer

Quote:
Why does only one revolver manufacturer offer a small 6 shot 357 ?
A good point. People always look at the price of a Rossi as the defining example of quality. What they don't take into account is options in many models of guns cost money. Example: S&W offers many models to choose from which means there is much more cost associated with the many different makes. Rossi on the other hand offers a pistol chambered in 2 different calibers and 3 barrel lengths. That is it. They don't offer a weight saving option in a five cylinder gun either. That means parts are mass produced and cost much less. They have a cheaper labor rate and less over head in doing business outside the United States. Therefore, the gun has a much cheaper price. It doesn't cost less because it is cheaply made in quality. It cost less because it is made cheaper.

I love Ruger revolvers. They are the best of the best. I'm sure others here consider that title to belong to S&W. But, A Rossi is a fine pistol. I base my opinions on owning a few of each brand. I know that you have your choices that are free from mine. I also not dumb enough to not realize that most are basing this inferior thought process concerning a Rossi on not actually having that experience. Mileage will vary. But, these guns I own and, the others of them I have handled, simply say It just ain't so. Am I to believe that I'm so fortunate to have never experienced a bad one? Nah. I believe that most repeat what they hear. Not what they know. God Bless