The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 6, 2007, 03:48 PM   #26
Big Don

I've kept my purchases limited to boots and clothing as the ammo prices can usually be beaten by others that I've dealt with and not had problems. SG has been good on returns so I will probably continue to purchase those items but will avoid the ammo problems.
I'm curious why they won't ship to Reno. I'm used to that here in Kalifornia but Nevada is a whole different deal. Anyone? Anyone?
Old February 6, 2007, 05:20 PM   #27
contender6030

Most places including grocery stores will not honor an error in thier advertisements or in their web-sites.
Sportsman's guide is about the only place I will buy boots you can't beat their prices or their service.
Old February 6, 2007, 05:35 PM   #28
Eghad

check the fine print in the catalogs before you buy!

NRA Life Member
Old February 13, 2007, 11:56 AM   #29
zukiphile

Interesting.

I just received a call from SG from a pleasant girl looking for $5 more per thousand on a lot I had ordered last month. I accepted because for that amount it isn't worth spending the time arguing.

Not only was carried at the price I ordered on the website for something like a month, but the order was confirmed at that price, and an email asking whether I still wanted it at that price was confirmed a couple of weeks ago.

This was not a printing error. It may have been someone's error at SG to set the price as they did, but that is no mere clerical error. Changing the price after an order is accepted is going to buy them a consumer suit eventually.
Old February 13, 2007, 11:36 PM   #30
Big Don

Consumer suit? I'm willing to be there's a district attorney out there looking to go after one of those evil ammunition purveyors who need to be shut down because they're cheating honest citizens and selling "death devices" at the same time. This is just plain dumb for SG go act this way. Your patience is amazing, even for the $5/thousand. You say OK, Tom says OK, Dick says OK, etc. They make their money and get away with this crap. Based on what I've read here, I'll never buy ammo from SG and will now think twice about buying other items, even though I've said they were pretty good in a previous post. This is bad business. Hopefully, "Gary" from SG reads TFL or has friends who do and someone tips him off about how he and his organization are coming across here. :barf:
Old February 13, 2007, 11:42 PM   #31
DonR101395

I just ordered a dozen AK magazines from them. They arrived quickly and were in better shape than expected.
Old February 14, 2007, 08:00 AM   #32
zukiphile

Quote:
This is just plain dumb for SG go act this way.
Indeed.

I've brought my share of consumer suits in the past. In my state, SG's conduct toward me should bring $600 to me in statutory penalties and my reasonable attorneys fees. I would also seek a retraining order prohibiting that practice in future.

That is assuming I file a suit as an individual only, and don't get a class going on this. Someone is going to post that the remedy I've outlined is unfair. I tend to agree, but note that these laws are meant to be pretty one-sided and force quick compliance from suppliers.

That is a large risk to take for just a few dollars.
Old February 15, 2007, 02:23 AM   #33
rabidbadger

ahhhhh, good ole sg- false advertising, rude, dimwitted salespeople, deals to- good- to- be- true, and those lovely "backorders." how is it that on no less than 5 occaisions i've gotten one of their catalogs in the mail, seen something i liked, TRIED to order that very same day, only to find out it's <drumroll please> "backordered" for at least a month and a half. funny how, even if i DO place an order, the "backordered" item never seems to make it into their inventory. i think they either A- have incredibly small inventories of trhe items in their catalog, B- don't actually have the items in the catalog half the time, and are trying to see how many people will order them so they know how many they should order for their warehouse, or C- they employ the biggest nimrods on earth and have the worst inventory system ever. probably a combo of all three.

seriously, i've had it with their bs. the crappy thing is- they are consistently the cheapest, and often carry items not found anywhere else (the ones they actually have that is). i just composed a lengthy complaint letter to them today after dealing with two complete retards in their ordering department. maybe i'll get a $10 off coupon that i won't be able to use anyway because what i want will be "backordered."

by the way, i have yet to receive any "backordered" item i've ordered from them.

anybody who can nail these bozos for false advertising/ bait and switch tactics has my full support.
Old February 15, 2007, 08:14 AM   #34
Eghad

I had two items on backorder. However, I was told that that they were not in yet when I ordered. I received e-mail and a post card advising me of their status. They were not due till 5/01/07. I recieved an e-mail telling me one of the items did come in and I have received it. I even received e-mails saying I could cancel the order if I wished.

I have had a couple of ammo items that were backordered and I received them as scheduled.

I don't know about the sales people as I do all my shopping online with them. I have not had any problems with SG. Ninety percent of the stuff I have ordered from them has been in stock and received from them.

NRA Life Member
Old February 20, 2007, 07:17 PM   #35
yobos4vr

ordered 2 boxes of ammo, it shipped the same day overall great experience.
Old February 20, 2007, 10:32 PM   #36
Brenden

Never raised anything in price..

They just cancelled part of order for .223 ammo for reasons only known to them

I will not buy from them again..
JPFO

Last edited by Brenden; February 20, 2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 6, 2008, 09:22 PM   #37
AmmoGuy

Sportsmans Guide

I know that this thread is from long ago but I had to comment about the club discount from Sportsmans Guide. I spent the $30 for the one year membership and made about 3 orders over the course of about 3 months. On my third order, I received a phone call that I had ordered too much and that they were cancelling my Buyer's Club and would not refund any portion of my membership. Nowhere does SG tell you that if you save too much using the buyer's club that they will revoke your membership and not refund your money.
Old November 7, 2008, 07:35 PM   #38
BBush

I can't find too much on their website or in their catalogs that is that great of a deal. Most everything is about the same price that I can buy it anywhere else for. Even with the club discount, I can't find any big deals. After paying the shipping and handling, I can get it at Bass Pro Shops or Sportsman's Warehouse for about the same price, plus I have the option of carrying it back without the hassle of having to mail it back.
Old November 7, 2008, 08:38 PM   #39
dalegribble

"On my third order, I received a phone call that I had ordered too much and that they were cancelling my Buyer's Club and would not refund any portion of my membership"

Odd, I've been a club member for more than 10 years, I order often and save alot of money. I have never heard of them cancelling a membership because they sold you too many things. On the rare occasion I wasn't pleased with the product they sent return postage paid packaging and refunded my money promptly. On a few occasions if they sent a wrong or damaged item they sent a new item without asking for the other item to be returned. I have bought black powder firearms, air rifles and pistols, knives, holsters, scopes, clothing, lots of ammunition tools, boots and lots of other things. Overall I believe the prices were fair and the quality good. Sorry your experience was not as good.
Old November 8, 2008, 01:46 PM   #40
jbrown

I was just at their retail outlet in south st paul,mn, yesterday.
It has always seemed to me to be a kind of "liquidation clearance" type retailer. that said,I have never had a problem returning items.
The warehouse is right there off the sales floor.You get a catalogue off a rack, go to a register and have them look up the number and bring one out of the warehouse.
There were several mail order returns of the item I was looking for,even one that was listed as "sold out" on their website,which I bought.I wouldnt have bought the one I had them bring out.
Last year I bought several different types of ammo,but I drove up there and made sure it was in stock,and saved the shipping.(My MIL lives about 5 miles from them.Its about 25 miles one way for me.)
I have had good luck with them,but I have never had to order anything without getting to look it over first,or seeing if it is in stock.
Old November 17, 2009, 02:07 PM   #41
Jimmy762x39

It's now a year later but the same story...

I've been buying from The Sportsmans Guide for years . Once in a while something funky happens (see issues above) but overall I really can't be too harsh. Recently though I ordered 1k rounds of my usual 762x39 and according to their customer service dept , neglected to check the box to have the billing split into 4 payments . The SG customer serv dep is staffed by a bunch of bozos that really do nothing useful beyond looking up orders, so you'll really be wasting your time seeking their help. If you really want to get their attention, send a complaint letter to one of their corporate officers. You can get that info from US Security and Exchange filings on-line, it's public info, http://www.secinfo.com/dsvrp.v8R3.htm and very interesting info about their company. It also provides names and addresses like, their CFO Charles Lingen, at http://www.secinfo.com/dsvrp.v8R3.a.htm#1stPage. ..
Reading some the first posts in this thread I'm amazed at how much ammo has gone up in price, my 1k rounds was $270 afterthe buyers club discount.
Happy Shooting!
Old November 17, 2009, 04:52 PM   #42
rdmallory

I am guessing that they stock very little and most everything is drop shipped.
They just get a markup for taking the orders and have little control over what their supplier charges them. Most places have just gone to the No backorders policy to prevent bad feelings.

Doug
Old November 18, 2009, 12:42 PM   #43
attila787

I tried to make an order with with a visa gift and wanted to split the remaining balance on another card. They said they could do the split. You would think an website online would be prepared some something like this.

I went and bought somewhere else even though I had to spend and extra 20 dollars.