The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2011, 05:06 PM   #1
mikiep

HD Shotgun

Looking at 12g short barrel for HD situation. I was going to go with either the 870 or 500 those seem to be the most popular and most talked about. I was wondering about Winchester and it's quality since you don't hear to much about it. I would guess it's a long the same lines as Rem and Moss. Opinions please. Thanks
Old June 11, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2
blackriderhank

I use Rem 870 for HD. It has 18 1/2 I replaced the pistol grip with a normal stock added a side saddle and sling. Over 10,000,000 870s have been sold and are the best pump shotguns available IMO.
Old June 11, 2011, 06:49 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am true blue Mossberg all the way. And it just so happens to have ergonomic design features I prefer in an HD gun. The safety location and the action release tab are in the best places for me to use while the gun is in any position including shoulder mounted and does not require I move my hand much if any to operate.

Brent
Old June 11, 2011, 07:06 PM   #4
C0untZer0

I got the chance to handle the 930 SPX today and I am impressed with it.

Surprisingly - or maybe not so surprising for some - I didn't like the pistol grip. I know that seems t be a "must have" accoutrement on tac shotguns - at least all the ones I see pictures of, but it feels better to me without the grip.

I also was a little bummed about it not having a collapsible stock, but when I actually shouldered it, I think shortening the stocks would not help me, and actually I think it would make it a little less comfortable to wield the gun.
Old June 11, 2011, 07:22 PM   #5
blackriderhank

hogdogs makes some great points about position of controls. I prefer the 870 because I am left handed and it feels like it was made for left handed shooters to me. Mossberg makes a fine product that many prefer to the 870 (heard many arguements over which is best) Bottom line handle both and if you can shoot both and you will know which you prefer. Be sure to post a photo of your new 870 when you get it lol
Old June 11, 2011, 08:30 PM   #6
hardworker

I like a browning pump shotgun, but browning thinks highly of them as well. However, I've shot 870s and mossbergs of all flavors and they do what they're supposed to do.
Old June 11, 2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Rob62

Winchester, like Remington and Mossberg makes a fine product. I don't know why they are not more popular.

However, my personal preference has been for many years the Remington 870. I'm sure you would be happy with any shotgun by the previous three manufatcurers.
Old June 11, 2011, 08:55 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I also prefer a regular stock. No detached or protruding grips for this guy!
The vertical pistol grip reduces the versatility of the gun measurably.

Brent
Old June 11, 2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Gehrhard

Seems Rem 870's r a shadow of their former selves. Their President even put it this way: "it's not the functioning, it's the pointability." What!?

Get a Mossberg 500. Reliability. Ergonomics. Mag capacity. Price.
Old June 11, 2011, 11:31 PM   #10
catnphx

Earlier this year, I went searching for a new HD SG. It was difficult but my final 2 platforms were the Remington and Mossberg platforms. I put several models of each in my hand (didn't fire them), looked at the pros/cons of each for my situation, and determined the Mossberg platform was best for me. From there, it got even tougher because there are soo many good Mossy models to choose from but I finally ended up with a 590A1. Great gun and I'm very happen with the choice.

Really, you can't go wrong with either but since you've got it nailed down to those to platforms, the choice really becomes yours. Good luck on your decision.
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old June 12, 2011, 09:52 AM   #11
mpd61

CCC 870!!!! (Cheap Chicom Clone 870)

If you like the 870, you'll love the Hawk Industries version, or the H&R Pardner Protector Pump. I got mine for $179.00 and it's built like a tank!!!!!!
Old June 12, 2011, 10:43 AM   #12
BrittB

It's just my opinion but sometimes I think people overthink this subject. Get what makes you happy. If need a pistol grip or not or an 18" barrel, it's really up to you. I use a JC Higgins model 20 that's been shortened to 18 1/2" and has a pistol grip. I got it for super cheap and with a small amount of work to the action works like a swiss (sold by Sears) watch.

Old June 12, 2011, 09:34 PM   #13
fourrobert13

I like 870's...

The one one the left is my duty shotgun, the other is my HD shotgun...

Old June 12, 2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Lee Lapin

mikie,

Your ability to use whatever shotgun you get safely and effectively is far more important than which make/model you choose. Any reliable pumpgun will meet or exceed your needs.

The Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500/590 are still in production, unfortunately the Winchester pump or its FN clones are no longer being made. There are tons of great used pumpguns out there, any number of which are now discontinued as far as current manufacture goes, but for a 'first time out' buyer I would strongly suggest sticking with a gun that is current production, no matter whether you buy new or used.

If you look for used guns and are not already familiar with what to look for and look out for in the used market, find a friend who knows shotguns well to help you - or buy new. That's the best advice I can offer. As to which to start with, handle examples of both manufacturer's products at the gun shops near you, and see if either fits or feels better to you. If possible get family or friends to let you try out their shotguns in live fire on the range (you buy the ammo - start with light birdshot loads) so you will have even more data to help you decide. But make up YOUR mind based on YOUR experience, more than just blindly following advice on the internet.

And for Pete's sake please start out with a plain jane box stock riot gun and learn to run that well first, don't feel as if you have to add on a bunch of pistol grips, folding stocks, magazine extensions and other tacticool stuff before you even shoot the thing the first time. YOU are the only tactical thing in the equation, YOUR mindset and skillset matters FAR more than whatever hardware you buy.

Among the pumpguns here are Remingtons (870s are my favorites overall), Mossbergs, Winchesters, Savage/Stevens, Ithacas, High Standards, one Browning pump and CCCs (cheap chinese clones). The latest pump shotgun I bought (just last week) was an old used High Standard Flite King clone with Sears Model 20 markings ($145 OTD, in great shape), so I'm not choosy when it comes to a good deal. I do have favorites and I admitted that up front, but because I like something doesn't mean you have to.

Good luck shopping, and Stay Safe,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Last edited by Lee Lapin; June 13, 2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old June 12, 2011, 10:14 PM   #15
BrittB

I do like those Sears/ JC Higgins/ High Standard model 20's. I don't know why but they just appeal to me.
Old June 12, 2011, 10:20 PM   #16
EAJ702

My 870 has been very reliable and a pleasure to shoot with the Knox (Now Blackwater) stock.

Old June 13, 2011, 04:01 PM   #17
Mudinyeri

The 870 and 500 are VERY popular. With that said, there's nothing wrong with a Winchester either. I've had my 1200 for ... about as long as I can remember with nary a hiccup. It's not set up for HD, but it's darned reliable which, to me, is the first criterion in a self-defense weapon.
Old June 17, 2011, 02:35 PM   #18
anonymousFolk

I'll repeat what someone else in the forum said...

Remington vs Mossberg is like GM vs Ford

It's all personal preference. Go out, handle, play, see what feels best, maybe even find a place that rents 'em and try them right there.

Maybe Winchester is Chrysler :P
Old June 17, 2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Rob228

I'm an 870 fan myself, this one started life as a 1970's vintage Wingmaster (it may be considered sacrilege, but I can convert it back at any time)

Old June 19, 2011, 02:36 AM   #20
shaunpain

Like everyone else has/will state(d), it is really up to you what you are really looking for in a working HD scattergun.

Winchesters are highly rated. The 500 and 870 are great pumps at a great cost. If you're going pump, it probably really doesn't matter. I'd stay away from companies like Charles Daly and the like myself as I think they shoot kind of rough (and look kind of stupid). I have a 500 myself with no added features (except rifle sites, which I love). I don't even have an extended mag tube on it.

It's a 12. It'll put anything down in six or less.

I think a pistol with a stock would be a great feature, but I only have a wood stock myself. I have a weird complex about firing ANYTHING from the hip so a strict pistol grip is out of the question on any long gun for me. Shooting a 12 is hard work as it is. I think I need the stock for recoil.
Old June 19, 2011, 02:51 AM   #21
youngunz4life

main thing

buy a shotgun. everyone should have one for the "farm". Period.

I love my mossberg 500 but I do also like the 870s. I get 7 in the tube+1 in the chamber w/my mossberg. mossberg is well worth the money. I had originally wanted the remington 870 police magnum, but I had trouble finding it so I went w/the moss way back when. I would now choose mossberg500 over the remington. It does seem more user friendly with the safety as only one example. Also food for thought: I never hear bad things about mossberg 500s so maybe someone can start now? I have always heard great reviews about 870s while also hearing bad reviews to boot.
Old June 19, 2011, 02:55 AM   #22
youngunz4life

shaunpain

Quote:
I have a weird complex about firing ANYTHING from the hip
try shooting my mossberg 500 sometime with no extra stock or any exrtas from the hip multiple times with 3" 15 pellet 00 buck.

yeah I would definately do it if needbe, but for practice I don't do that much anymore
Old June 21, 2011, 01:46 AM   #23
shaunpain

Youngunz...

You are a testament to all that is man. shotguns aren't the funnest thing in the world for me to shoot as it is... And I'm a crappy shot to boot!
Old June 21, 2011, 08:52 AM   #24
oletymer

Winchester still makes a pump shotgun called the SXP.
Old June 21, 2011, 09:09 AM   #25
Simmy952

Winchester 1300 Defender & a Beretta 1201 serve duty in this house.

Tags
long gun , shotgun