The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 28, 2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Mick3411

Simulator question

I just ran across an ad in the NRA Shooting Sports magazine for a laser based simulator (http://www.beamhit.com/ttg/m/_genera...=2&riPageID=35)

I think the magazine quoted the price at around $350. Given ammunition cost it would seem that a payback would not take very long.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with this system (or others) and what you thought.

Mick
Old October 29, 2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Xanatos

Sounds a lot like the EST (Electronic Skills Trainer) the Army uses nowadays to teach people who've never shot before before they head to a range and use live ammo. Only difference is, it doesn't appear that this PMTS system has anything to simulate recoil (the Army's EST has pneumatic air pumps wired into the gun) which also means if you use a DA/SA semi-auto, you wouldn't be able to practice a true double tap. Also, it breaks at least one of the four rules (never point a gun at a target you're not willing to destroy). Still, between these simulators and not practicing at all, it would definitely be better, but then again, a gas blowback airsoft gun is less than $100 and you can get much better training, IMO.
Old October 29, 2009, 04:44 PM   #3
NavyLT

We used it in training prior to deploying to Iraq. It's OK, but does not simulate recoil and does not allow for automatic slide operation. We had to cock the hammer each time if we wanted a SA trigger pull. Ours was connected to something similar to a foosball table with little pop up sillhouettes and we shot at them from about 8' away.
Old October 29, 2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Mike40-11

Speaking of foosball table, anybody remember the "Weaponeer"? It did simulate recoil via the broomstick bolted to your rifle.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:07 PM   #5
NavyLT

Yep. Army Basic Training, Ft. Dix, NJ, 1984.
Old October 30, 2009, 06:06 PM   #6
JN01

I've had a Beamhit 110 system for years. I find it useful for close range practice. As noted though, unless you use a DA gun, you will have to cock the hammer/reset the striker every shot.

You can get similar practice with a soft air replica gun which will give a somewhat more "realistic" action and allow force on force training.

The advantage to the laser is no gas or pellets to buy, no pellets to clean up, plus you are getting practice with your "real" trigger.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Nick-Mc

Quote:
Sounds a lot like the EST (Electronic Skills Trainer) the Army uses nowadays to teach people who've never shot before before they head to a range and use live ammo.
It's "Engagement Skills Trainer" and I don't think it's that great. Cool game of Duck Hunt on Steroids but nothing like firing a real weapon: recoil, noise, function are all different. But it is fun.