The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 4, 2014, 05:59 AM   #26
FloridaGuy

I would go with the Blued Python. locally they are going for $3000 and up when you can find them. So I would say $1600 - $1800 is a good price. I would love a Python but I can not justify $3000 for a used gun.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old January 7, 2014, 09:47 PM   #27
bac1023

Quality between the Python and KC is no comparison.

Old January 27, 2014, 10:34 AM   #28
CDR_Glock

I have the Python in 4", 6" and 8". I love the finish, but the trigger action is also quite incredible. If I had the choice, it would always be a Python. However, the King Cobra is no slouch. It's beautiful and the feel is almost as good.
Old January 27, 2014, 12:38 PM   #29
MJFlores

I still think Colt will bring back the Python someday. Given the demand, I'm sure they're training and tooling up right now. Why wouldn't they?
Old January 27, 2014, 01:14 PM   #30
Sevens

Quote:
Why wouldn't they?
It's all a numbers game. If you want the answer to "why wouldn't they?", investigate why they ceased production in the first place. And then consider the almost irrational costs associated with making all the equipment to build a new one today, and don't forget that if you want to actually make the SAME revolver to the SAME specs that the public seems to be so head-over-heels in love with, you're going to need the SAME skilled craftsman with the same ability and the time & labor costs associated with all the fine, slow, hands-on work that goes in to making, tuning, and polishing them.

You'll also need the real estate on the production floor to handle that, which is the one thing we know they actually are working on.

Now once you've got all of that done...
What's the MSRP going to need to be on a 2014 or 2015 Colt Python, so that the end dealer makes a couple bucks and the distributor makes a couple bucks and so that Colt makes a couple bucks after the next 10 years of straight production that were merely cover the start-up costs to make a handgun they aren't equipped to build anymore?

Oh, if only it were so easy as a pre-lunch decision by some fatcat with a cigar sitting behind a mahogany test with cash falling out of his nostrils every time he sneezes.
Old January 27, 2014, 10:01 PM   #31
lifesizepotato

Python over the King Cobra, no doubt.

But, I don't see the KC as a Python competitor at all. They shouldn't be cross-shopped. The King Cobra was the next tier down, competing with the 586/686.

I'd go King Cobra over a 686/586, personally, but I'm kind of a Colt fan.
Old January 28, 2014, 06:49 AM   #32
MJFlores

Like it or not, the Python didn't go away because of "cost", it went away because of demand. Hollywood had everyone craving little black automatics. I vividly remember cases of smith's and colt's revolvers sat collecting dust while everyone clamored over those damn 92F's and the Taurus lookalikes. Hollywood killed the Python, and Colt could easily re-tool and start producing them again. I honestly think they will someday...it's what gun manufacturers do for a living...they make guns that will sell. I cant speak to if new Pythons would have the same amount of hand fit and finishing they originally had, but people would buy them anyway. A new Python that was made with the same quality of new Ruger and Smith revolvers would be the hottest seller the industry has introduced in 10 years or more. Colt has an army of skilled craftsmen and women making revolvers right now, and all the tooling it needs. It's not as big a stretch as you think. They'll be back.
Old January 28, 2014, 09:04 AM   #33
7n6

Ide say unless you find a king cobra for a really good price dont bother. The 686 is a really nice revolver I have the 4 inch and love it, (hopefully I dont get yelled at for this) but I would rather a Dan wesson pistol pack over a KC. If I was getting the Python I would get the 6" stainless, seeing as how it would be just for recreation. The blued looks amazing but theres nothing more annoying than worn blueing over time.
Old January 28, 2014, 09:46 AM   #34
mavracer

Python. As others have said the King Cobra isn't in the same class.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 28, 2014, 10:05 AM   #35
Colt46

Python

I'm not even a Colt guy, but the python is considered(for good reason) the holy grail for most collectors. I could justify spending $2k for a python. I wouldn't spend half that on the King Cobra.