The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 25, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1
BarkeyVA

Pre-WWII Marlin Model 90 O/U Single Trigger

I recently acquired a pre-WWII 16 ga. Model 90 ST (based on the bird dog scene stamped on the frame it was made in 1939-'41) serial no. 39XX, with a non-selective single trigger that is a differnet configuration than the trigger on my Marlin Model 90 Skeetking or on the standard production Model 90ST's produced in 1954 and later. Photos of my Model 90 Skeetking (only sold in 1939 and 1940), pre-war 16 ga. Model 90 and a 1954 16 ga. Model 90 ST were posted by Reseacher on the 16 ga. web site at http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9570.

According to Brophy in his book on Marlin Firearms, Model 90 price lists showed a single trigger Model 90 being offered in 1940 (Nov), 1941 and 1945, even though Brophy also states that Marlin did not introduce a Model 90ST untill 1954. Brophy wrote that, "Curtis, Cowe and Lard selective and Romberg and Peterson nonselective single triggers were evaluated. The Romberg non-selective was the one finally adopted by Marlin and the only one produced."

That would suggest that the Romberg trigger was used on standard production Model 90ST's. However, as you can see from the photos posted by Reseacher on the 16ga. site, the trigger shape, location and internal features of the 1954 ST look nothing like my two guns. Note that the inertia weight on my Skeetking ST is a different shape and in a different position that the 1954 model 90 ST. Also note that the pre-war Model 90 ST does not have an inertia weight.

Does anyone have, or has anyone seen, single triggers and internals like the ones on my Skeetking and my pre-war Model 90? Anyone have information or a reference to patents covering the Romberg trigger?
Old June 26, 2010, 04:50 PM   #2
BarkeyVA

One other comment about the trigger on the Model 90 Skeetking pictured on the link in my previous post. There is a small spring positioned on top of, and in line with, the single trigger. The spring is readily visible in the trigger slot when looking at the bottom of the frame. When both barrels are cocked the spring is compressed. The spring "opens up" to its original length when the bottom barrel is fired.

The spring is not visible on the other two Marlin ST's. Does anyone know if Miller used a spring configuration like that on other 2-barrel guns?
Old June 27, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I vaguely recall that Miller did convert Marlin 90s to his single system back in the day.

You may want to ask Miller's son, who while quite old is still working as a smith.

HTH....
Old June 28, 2010, 08:44 PM   #4
BarkeyVA

I sent an email to the Miller Single Trigger Co and the following are comments by Dan May.

"I checked the records and found nothing related to the Marlin Company. Brophy states that the Millers did do a limited number of conversions for Marlin. The Millers were very careful to stamp all of their triggers so I would have to say if they aren't stamped, they most likely are not done by Miller.

I can't tell for certain from the photos whether or not they were done by Miller. I checked all of the over/under patents and nothing jumped out for certain. The Millers were very creative and did do a lot of one-off work and would adapt their systems to most anything.

I also went through all of the patterns, jigs and miscellaneous parts. I didn't find anything clearly marked Marlin or Model 90.

Sorry I couldn't be more help and give you a definitive answer. I am pretty sure, however, that they would have visibly stamped the triggers if they worked on them."
Old June 28, 2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, it was worth a try. So it's not a Miller.
Old June 29, 2010, 03:53 PM   #6
BarkeyVA

It sure doesn't sound like it.

According to family members of the original owner, the model 90 skeetking was a gift from Ole Horsrud, inventor of the model 90. His patent was assigned to Sears. Although manufactured by Marlin, Sears sold the gun as the Ranger prior to WWII. It's possible that Ole did the conversion himself. Also, Marlin mentioned Model 90 ST's in their 1940-41 catalogs, so it's also possible Ole had the trigger assembled at the factory
Old June 30, 2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks. The 90 and Savage's O/U were the only US made O/Us prior to WWII. Pop had and loved the Savage. Wish I could find it. It was stolen early in the 1970s.

That was a two trigger shotgun,which I prefer on a field gun.

IIRc, the Marlin 90 was Clark Gable's skeet gun. He had one Carol Lombard gave him,a fancy one with engraving.
Old June 30, 2010, 04:52 PM   #8
BarkeyVA

Model 90 Skeetkings were special order guns with hand engraving and upgraded wood. Chokes were adjusted to give the best target -breaking patterns at 20 and 30 yards. Tthey were only offered in 1939 and 1940.

I got my dad's 16 ga Stevens SxS hammer gun back a few months ago. Dad sold it to his friend 60 years ago. I saw dad's friend last October and asked about that old old gun. Dad's friend said he still had it, and if I wanted it I could have it! Unfortunately, the guy had cut off the barrels to 20 inches.

I had a gunsmith clean it, replace the hammer springs and do some other minor adjustments and it shoots fine. In fact, with 1 oz. #7-1/2 game loads, both barrels put 90% of the shot in a 30 " circle at 20 yards. I'm looking forward to shooting a round of skeet with it.
Old July 1, 2010, 08:54 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad you got your Dad's gun back, even post surgery.

We don't see lots of hammer model 16s these days, especially on skeet fields.

Got any quail down there?
Old July 1, 2010, 09:16 AM   #10
BarkeyVA

Dave,

Not many quail in this area. I went hunting with a friend on private land two years ago, and we found two coveys of about 10 birds each. The only place I get to hunt quail is on a preserve west of Richmond. 1-1/2 hr drive and pretty pricey so I didn't do it last year.
Old July 1, 2010, 10:16 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Too bad, for several reasons. I used to hear a couple coveys from our house growing up. Low numbers, best to leave them for seed and join QU.

A short barreled coach gun like your Stevens would be deadly in trained hands on wild birds and almost too easy on preserve hatchlings.

If you can post some pics. I'm tired or looking at all black tactical stuff. I wanna see some bird guns with soul worn in by good memories.
Old July 2, 2010, 06:09 AM   #12
BarkeyVA

It's the same where I grew up in central Illinois. I hunted the family farm and a neighbor's property last January. Saw one covey of 5 birds (didn't get a shot) and no rabbits. Very sad. It's due to changing farming methods, wide-spread planting of fescue grass, and very few hedge rows left. Also, a lot more coyotes are roaming that area. Not many farmers there are into wildlife management methods. Although, a few plant sunflowers for doves.

I don't know how to post pictures. Send me a PM with your email address, and I'll forward some photos of my Marlin Model 90 o/u's. My first one is a 12 ga, made in 1950 that my dad bought used for me in the late 1950's for $37.50. He cut the stock off to fit me and then added a piece back when I got bigger. It doesn't look like much, but I still shoot that gun as well as any I own. My favorite upland gun now is a 16 ga. Model 90 with 26" barrels choked IC/Mod. I'll have to take some photos of the 16 ga. hammer gun.

I got a 16 ga. Utica-Fox Sterlingworth recently. It has 28" barrels choked .006 and .012 that should be good for upland birds.
Old July 2, 2010, 06:32 AM   #13
BarkeyVA

Dave, I forgot to mention that most of my 2-barrel shoguns have double triggers, which I also prefer for upland hunting. When I go duck or goose hunting (which is not very often) I take a Remington 870 Express Super Mag that I bought new a few years ago for $259. I won't feel too bad if I accidently drop it in the river.
Old July 2, 2010, 09:56 PM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If you click on my name in this post, the drop down menu thus revealed includes an E mail link, Barkey.

#$%^&*( fescue anyway.

Sounds like you have some nice upland guns, and one good waterfowler. Try not to drop it, please.

A Fox 16, even a Sterlingworth, makes a great bird gun. Enjoy!!
Old July 2, 2010, 10:41 PM   #15
BarkeyVA

I meant to say that I bought the low priced 870 so I wouldn't feel quite so bad if I accidently dropped it in the river. I did hunt ducks a couple of times with a Benelli M1 Super 90 before I got the 870. I would feel REALLY bad if I had dropped the Benelli in the river!
Old July 5, 2010, 03:57 AM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Benellis are nice guns, not cheap though.