The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 23, 2010, 01:19 PM   #1
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
slug guns???

Hey guys, and the few ladies out there,
I am looking for a new rifled slug gun before this up coming deer season and I really have no idea where to start! I have never hunted with slug guns because I usually bow and rifle those tasty deer onto my plate, but this year I have been invited to go hunt on property that is slug gun only. Could anyone recommend a good, moderately cheap slug gun? I am leaning toward a single shot version by H&R but that is strictly due to the price.
Old June 23, 2010, 01:38 PM   #2
nbrown

I have an H&R single shot 20 gauge with the rifled barrel, first shotgun i ever got, and its a nice shotgun. I took a doe with it 3 years ago. The only bad thing about it is 20 gauge sabot slugs are expensive. The winchester sabot slugs are really good in it though.
Old June 23, 2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Doyle

My thought is to avoid the H&R single shot. There are 3 things I find fundamentally wrong. First, while H&R used to be a reliable brand, their quality is not what it once was. Secondly, you are unnecessarily limiting yourself to a single shot when you don't have to. Muzzleloaders have to give up that 2nd shot option. As a slug hunter, you don't have to. Thirdly, it is a single-purpose gun. Being somebody who likes "value" I generally tend to avoid single-purpose guns.

A much better solution, especially if you are trying to be frugal, is to get a good used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 and buy a slug barrel for it.

The 2nd point I brought up early raises a question. This area you are going to hunt - does it allow muzzleloaders? Many of the "no rifle" states where slugs are used also allow muzzleloaders. If that is the case with you, a 2nd hand muzzleloader can easily be purchased for less than $100.
Old June 23, 2010, 02:06 PM   #4
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
Thanks for the advice guys. The restriction to slug guns is not due to law but it is due to the owners request. I'm not really sure why but "his land his rules"! I have a few smoke polls but we can't use them. I really wish I could...
Old June 23, 2010, 07:16 PM   #5
jbaham

I am from an area of new york that for years was slug gun only I have a mossberg 695 my dad used and 870 with a rifled barrel until he died and then my brother took it he killed a nice buck with the 870 and deer have been taken with the mossberg as well. Savage makes a good reliable 20 ga bolt action slug gun I believe they also made a 12 ga they are really accurate as is my mossberg it will take deer out to 200 yards and has with good optics. H@R slug guns are cheap but they are also super accurate I know several people who own them.

good luck and look maybe on gunbroker or at some local shops the savages are good H@R makes some good ones as well as maybe a used mossberg 695 they are bolt action as are the savages.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Deerhunter

I agree with those that said the Remington 870 Express Mag. Buy a rifled barrel to go with it. Then go out and get yourself some Hornaday SST sabots. They shoot pretty flat and a good distance. I hunt in South East Pennsylvania (Montgomery / Chester County) and that is what I have been using for years. Always nice to have the 4 extra shots if needed. I admit I have been tracking a running deer in my scope and pulled off a round just as a tree was between me and the deer. Follow ups are nice. I have taken about 12 deer with it in the last 12 years (missed a few seasons while deployed with the Army). I also use it for ducks, geese and all small game. Good all around gun.