The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 28, 2009, 05:53 AM   #1
SilentSoul

Getting a CCL?

I have trained for a large part of my life, to be capable of "defending" myself against another human being, be it armed or unarmed... though, the situation is not that simple when firearms are involved, the idea that "god created all men equal" may be true, but once the creating part is over, and you grow up... its up to you what kind of man you become, firearms further corrupt this notion, the weak and pathetic can pray upon the strong and noble, all because of a man made device, sticking with the scheme of being our own worst enemy but we have to live with it, there will ALWAYS be guns in the wrong hands, though the day may come when the "right hands" no long have the right to carry them.. where will we be then

that said, it only makes sense to carry at least a small caliber firearm(while we can), though i wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 9mm on my person, but.. i wonder how that would effect some things, i often see people that are carrying, even though its not obvious to everyone, if you pay attention its easy to tell at times, i don't personally like the idea of having a loaded firearm strapped to my body in a public sitting... maybe its just because i have no experience with doing so

how exactly did things change for you, when you started carrying, when you say, go out to eat with your family, knowing you now have a deadly weapon concealed on your body, it seems like it would make a big difference, a good holster would be a must i would think, and a lot of thought put into the firearm, size/weight/functionality, not to mention the position you would carry it in.. all these things i am curious about, since i plan to get my CCL soon as well, mainly as a result of things i have learned here

so, tell me of your experience upon getting your CCL and carrying for the first time, what kind of training you undertook before doing so, and what setup you decided to go with for your first time

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 28, 2009, 06:03 AM   #2
troy_mclure

i got my wa. cpl by filling out a card then getting finger printed. oh and paying $60.

i was active army at the time, had a fair bit of firearms training.

i went to a local pistol range and rented every gun they had. the ones that felt/shot best for me i researched.
i ended up with a springfield xd40sc. i took it to bladetech, and tried every ccw holster that they made for it. i ended up picking the uch, which is sob.

as far as how it has changed me, i had just gotten back from iraq, so my paranoia was already running on overdrive. i also buy 1 size larger around the waist pants, wear undershirts, and dont generally go to establishments that dont allow ccw.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 28, 2009, 06:54 AM   #3
jgcoastie

I live in Alaska, so no permit is required to CCW. I'm active duty CG, so I've had a decent amount of weapons training. My first time to carry was an unusual event... I went to dinner with some guys in my shop (everyone at work knows I'm a gun nut, most of them are too). One guy ordered a round of shots for everyone while I was in the head. I had to give mine to my buddy real sneaky-like b/c it is legal to carry in a resturant that serves alcohol, but it is illegal for you to drink even one sip while carrying. He then tried to tell me I had to have a permit to CCW, it was federal law... I laughed at him. Told him I didn't want to discuss it right now, but I'd be sure to inform him of the proper laws once we left.

He also carries now....

Another added benefit, since I started CCW my meal tabs have gone down by about $10-$20 each, and the wife likes the fact that I very seldom drink anymore... I too avoid businesses that do not allow CCW. There's only one here that I know of and it's a health food place anyway.:barf::barf:
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 28, 2009, 09:21 AM   #4
SilentSoul

How many carry a semi-auto as opposed to a revolver, or vice versa, and why exactly? personal preference is is there another reason, i assume its easier to get a larger caliber in a more compact package if you choose revolver, but i am not sure

where is the best place to go about getting your CCL? i know a few gunstores here have signs saying they hold classes at their indoor ranges, as well as local gunshows that are in town at times and the like

also another question that i now have.., how can you find out what establishments allow ccw on the premises? aside from the obvious like, schools or government buildings etc.

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 28, 2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Keltyke

For me, nothing really changed, except I was more enabled to defend myself and my family. I have no qualms about strapping on a firearm and going out and about in public. When I lived in NC, I open-carried a lot. It's legal there. Here in SC, where I live now, I carry concealed.

The right carry piece and a GOOD belt/holster combo makes it simple and easy. I seldom even think of my weapon on my waist, except for the occasional tug or dig as I move about my daily activities. I am seldom aware my gun is there, but I always know it is.

I have shot both handguns and long guns all my life, and was ready to take the CWP course. In SC, it's an 8 hour course consisting of both classroom study and a practical shooting part.

I have several possible carry weapons, but my preferred one is the Steyr 40 - a semi-compact 40 S&W pistol. I wear it in a OWB belt slide holster at 9 o'clock (I'm a lefty). I looked long and tried many different combinations before I decided this one was best for me. Carrying concealed is a VERY personal matter and what works for one may not work for another.

The first few times I carried it, I was very self-conscious and sure everyone could see it. Naturally, that wasn't the case. Now, it's simply a part of my daily dress, and putting it on is as natural as putting on my socks. You WILL find that you learn to "dress around the gun". Acting "normally" instead of acting like you're carrying, is a BIG help.

You will find nothing really changes, except as I mentioned in my first paragraph.

Quote:
knowing you now have a deadly weapon concealed on your body
I take exception to this. The only really deadly weapon is a man.
Old March 28, 2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you have the proper combination the entire things fades into the background before too long.

I've only been carrying for a couple of months. Sure, the first maybe 2 weeks or so it's kind of like "Holy crap, I'm wandering around with a gun. I wonder if she just noticed... I wonder if he.... Oh man, it must be obvious... God this thing is uncomfortable... I think I'm walking lopsided..."

After that phase passed, it becomes quite natural. I feel funny WITHOUT the gun now. I've only left the house twice without since I got my permit.

I can tell you one thing for sure. The clothes make all the difference. A high quality belt and holster is only the beginning. Your pants have to fit just right to make it really comfortable. I found out that 4 or 5 pairs of completely "identical" jeans are anything but identical. Some of them make the gun just vanish from my mind and some of them are constantly being adjusted. It's a fine balance. For what it's worth, "Canyon River Blues" brand seem to be made for concealed carry. They're the only brand I've tried that fit perfectly exactly right. I don't even have to buy a larger size. Like I said, it's like they made them thinking "Let's make these so they fit an IWB holster for a guy in this size."

My training consisted of a 4 hour class required for the permit and a lifetime of firearms experience. My rig is a Crossbreed Supertuck, a Crossbreed gunbelt and a Glock 33. All of which I highly recommend.

I do hope to get some professional training at some point. Hopefully some nice realistic force-on-force to make sure my ego is where it belongs.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old March 28, 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
troy_mclure

Quote:
How many carry a semi-auto as opposed to a revolver, or vice versa, and why exactly? personal preference is is there another reason, i assume its easier to get a larger caliber in a more compact package if you choose revolver, but i am not sure

where is the best place to go about getting your CCL? i know a few gunstores here have signs saying they hold classes at their indoor ranges, as well as local gunshows that are in town at times and the like

also another question that i now have.., how can you find out what establishments allow ccw on the premises? aside from the obvious like, schools or government buildings etc.
if you take a local class you will(should) be taught the laws of your state, IE: where you cant carry.
there is no list of where you can cary, so if it is not listed by the govt, or posted by the business its legal to carry there.

if your state accepts it the florida non resident permit is easy to get, covers quite a few states, and lasts 7 yrs.

i chose pistol over revolver simpily for the way they shot/felt.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 28, 2009, 03:08 PM   #8
chris in va

Quote:
if you take a local class you will(should) be taught the laws of your state, IE: where you cant carry.
Not always. Many classes don't offer 'legal' advice for fear of reprocussions. My VA class instructor said we had to go find out for ourselves or consult a lawyer.

Quote:
if your state accepts it the florida non resident permit is easy to get, covers quite a few states, and lasts 7 yrs.
If you'll note, he's already in Florida according to his location.

SilentSoul, generally speaking you will be better off getting a small and fairly lightweight carry weapon in 9mm. It is easier to conceal and won't feel like you have this massive "shootin' iron" on your hip all day. Very few people stop at just one gun, so you can always pick up a larger 'range toy' for more entertainment/training.

Quote:
i don't personally like the idea of having a loaded firearm strapped to my body in a public sitting... maybe its just because i have no experience with doing so
You'll get used to it after a while. Once you see nobody is trying to 'out' you with your new firearm, it becomes second nature and you'll feel naked without it. Ever leave your wallet at home?

Last edited by chris in va; March 28, 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old March 28, 2009, 07:04 PM   #9
golfnutrlv

The decision to carry a gun, and have the willingness to use it in defense of your life is an all inclusive decision. It affects you in ways you never thought it would. Dress, businesses you frequent, like some other have mentioned, it affects your drinking habits.

It is a big decision that I did not take lightly at all when I got my permit. Make sure you save money and time for good trainig including your local and state gun laws, use of force doctrine, as well as the actual physical training, drawing, recovery, retention, shooting, concelament etc.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old March 28, 2009, 09:00 PM   #10
arktravler

Quote:
............firearms further corrupt this notion, the weak and pathetic can pray upon the strong and noble, all because of a man made device,..................
You might also reverse this statement somewhat, in that the firearm also enables the weak and pathetic protect themselves from the strong and not so noble....

As has been posted, find the right firearm for you, and a good holster. The rest will come the more you carry....
Old March 29, 2009, 08:57 AM   #11
SilentSoul

Thanks for the replies, i plan to go to a local gun store that has an indoor range, see how many handguns they will let me try out, and holsters they will let me try i assume they would not have any reasons to not allow such a thing, why else would they have an indoor range

I recently picked up my first handgun, last night infact, a long time friend of my family has been looking everywhere for a .17hmr rifle, long story short, i got a Ruger P95DC still in the original box, with all the papers and etc., might have 100 rounds through it, with another 15 round magazine, for a rifle i gave $160 years ago, cheap $40 scope and bipod i have had forever

now i just have to find some 9mm ammunition.. most places here are sold out, i do not plan to carry this gun as a primary ccw, its rather heavy and bulky.. though it seems to be very reliable, built tough as it were, but.. you can never have enough options to protect yourself... is it legal to carry a weapon on you, as well as in your car? at the same time, or is it a state defendant thing

i hope whom ever is teaching the class likes questions, i will probably talk his ear off

Old March 29, 2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Superhouse 15

carry

My training consisted of marksmanship and bullseye shooting more than anything. I worked in a gun shop and carried openly and carried in my car (FL) before I got my permit. I was delayed for funds for it due to college (beer) expenses. I worked with the class instructor through so many classes at the gunshop I had no problem passing when I decided to get my act and the money together. Most of my actual self defense training back then came from books like In the Gravest Extreme and Stressfire. I didn't feel much different carrying concealed personally. I had a choice of pistols and free or cheap ammo and carried whatever I wanted. I just dressed around it. Still today I have no problem carrying a 1911 Colt in FL in the summer. When my permit expires in December it will be 18 years of carry.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:04 AM   #13
pax

Quote:
so, tell me of your experience upon getting your CCL and carrying for the first time, what kind of training you undertook before doing so, and what setup you decided to go with for your first time
It never occurred to me, when I got my carry permit, that I wouldn't just carry everywhere I went. What's the point of getting a permit you're not going to use? These days I understand the impulse a little more, but back then it was just such a natural thing. Carry permit = carry all the time, how else?

A friend of mine suggested we should drive up to Blade Tech together and pick up a holster for me, the day after I got my carry permit. So I put my firearm inside a locking case in the trunk of the car, drove up to Tacoma, purchased a holster, and wore the gun home that day. From that day forward, I never got dressed without putting the gun on. I had some trouble at first figuring out where on my belt to wear the holster, and then figuring out how to dress around it, but it never occurred to me that just not wearing the gun was an option. (Kinda stupid that way, I guess.)

In Washington, no training is required by law. So at that time I got my permit, I had no training whatsoever. A few weeks after I started carrying, I took my first professional firearms training class, an intermediate-level defensive handgun. Looking back I should have started with a beginning level class, but I'd been shooting with friends all summer at that point and thought the intermediate level would suit me. It did -- I really enjoyed it! -- but looking back I would have learned more and progressed faster if I'd worked harder on the foundations at the beginning.

pax
Old March 29, 2009, 12:16 PM   #14
Brit

Quote:
per (Keltyke) Now, it's simply a part of my daily dress, and putting it on is as natural as putting on my socks. You WILL find that you learn to "dress around the gun". Acting "normally" instead of acting like you're carrying, is a BIG help.
When teaching a person who has now got the carry gun bug! My statement, kind of an all encompassing one, is DRESS ARMED! Kind of like KELTYKE stated.

Once you have the mind set, it is easy.

My constant companion, a Glock 19, plus a Glock 17 magazine, and a small flashlight, always! On a Wilderness 5 strand 1.1/2" frequent fliers belt.
Holster, $12.00 Glock combat one, with a few chunks cut off it, the lightest holster made.

We have lived in Florida for 5 years, and I am always armed, the reason for the Glock 19, it has the best weight to power, to bulk and capacity of any Pistol IMHO. The ammunition you carry is so very important, so pick a well thought out bullet configurement, with sufficient velocity to cause as much cease and desist as possible.

WW Ranger 127g +P+ is my constant companion.
Practice and IDPA Ammo; hard ball reloads.
Old April 8, 2009, 07:44 PM   #15
jpoolsmyd2

fill out application x 3
attach 2 proofs of residence x 3
fill out SASE with return address

go to courthouse and submit to clerk of circuit court

wait.......................................

while waiting purchase comp-tac minotaur iwb
practice carrying around the house

get chp in the mail

start carrying when you feel like you need to.

for me, not much of the time

until someone gets murdered in a very nice neighborhood close to where you live for no reason

for you, YMMV

Old April 13, 2009, 07:43 AM   #16
The Great Mahoo

Getting your Concealed Permit can be quite a change for most people. I remember how nervous I was when I first got mine when I turned 21.

I was afraid people would see it and panic, causing a scene. When I got used to the idea that most people couldn't be bothered to notice, even if I were to open carry, things got a lot easier. I was still weary that my friends and family would notice and say something to me, since it really wasn't a conversation that I wanted to have with them. My father likes to rough house a bit, always playfully shoving or punching from time to time. I remember when he first reach out and caught the edge of my gun; he didn't even say anything about it. The next time I saw him he asked how long I've been carrying, how often, etc. He is into guns too, so he didn't care, he was just curious. Once I got past that, it was a breeze for anything else.

As for physical changes to be made for carrying, I can only echo what others have said here. Dress around the gun, but I will add not to suddenly change dress at once. That is, don't start dressing out of the ordinary or people will wonder what you are up to. If you are one to condemn untucked shirts as slobish, then you start walking around untucked to conceal a gun, people are going to look at you funny and make you uncomfortable (for example.)

You are going to have to make a few changes to carry, making sure that you can accomidate your chosen gun so that it won't print. Looser clothes can help, but the best thing is to just pick good equipment that is comfortable. Some OWB gear will require very little change, aside from a cover garment. In Florida, this may not be the best option. IWB holsters can be readily concealed for most any gun, but do require a bit more room in your pants. Of course, you could always opt for pocket carry with a small firearm, in which case you just have to get used to not using that pocket for other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSoul
I carry both (though not at the same time.) These days I favor revolvers, especially for concealed carry. I find them to be simple, easy, and very dependable. However, I grew up on auto's and find I just can shoot them better. My main carry gun is a Glock 36(.45acp though it rotates w/ a Taurus 651 (.357) every now and then. I hope to add one of the new .327's to my collection to be my new main carry gun, but haven't been able to find one.

One more reason I prefer carrying a revolver vs an auto is extra ammo. I don't like carrying a thick magazine in my pocket, or even on my belt for that matter. Concealing a strip of extra rounds for my revolver is no problem; they disappear in any pocket very easily and comfortably. I don't usually carry reloads with me though, so its not a big deal.
Old April 27, 2009, 07:21 AM   #17
fatboy02

I have had my CPL for less than a month now but one thing I have learned from friends that carry and here on the TFL is that a CPL does you no good if your carry piece is at home in the safe and something bad happens. I carry everywhere I go of course other than "no carry" areas witch I try to avoid.

I live in a small town with I thought very little crime but as of latley there has been a lot more crime. A home invasion no more than 5 miles down the road. I heard of a "at knife point" mugging at a bank ATM machine in town two weeks ago.

THe economy going down hill seems to be bringing crime closer to every area I carry everywhere it has become part of getting dressed in the morning. Also as I get more comfortable the only thing that is changing for me is I have saved a lot of money by not stopping at the bar as often, can't carry there and not comfortable leaving my gun in the car.