The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1
dom350

HP-38 & Bullseye for 9mm & 45 acp

Good evening,
I have been reloading for about 8 months or so. Self taught, several videos and this forum. As I dive deeper into my addiction, and continue my quest for a "Perfect" load, I think I have my powders backwards.

Currently this is my recipe for 9

4.6 HP 38 115 Berrys Plated RN OAL 1.135

My 45 Recipe is
4.3 Bullseye 230 Berrys Plated RN OAL 1.125

As I read about powders, and I think I need a powder burn chart, is that I should be using HP 38 for the 45 and bullseye for the 9mm

Can you all chime in on these two powders? I dont have a chrono yet, so I cant state velocities. I went to the range last week when it was 80 outside and my 9mm seemed like it was all over the place... Still scratching my head trying to figure this out.

I want to learn the correct way and not the hard way, I do alot of research, but with limited choices right now, i am trying to make do with what I have.

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2014, 10:58 PM   #2
DaleA

You're overthinking. Bullseye is fine for .45 ACP.

One of the roads to learning is join a competition shooting league. See if your range has any. It'll give you a chance to talk to others, see what they use, push yourself to become a better shot, shoot on a regular bases and you'll have a 'real' measure of where you stand in comparison to others. Plus it's fun.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Hmm. Well, I would give the nod to HP-38 (or W231 - they're the same powder) for 45ACP. But only because my most accurate pet load for 45ACP is with W231 (200g LSWC; 5.0g W231). I've loaded more of this round than any other - in all my 29 years, 11 months, 2 days of loading

But. . .

Both are fine powders for both calibers. Bullseye under a 230g slug has been an all-time classic for decades.

If you are satisfied with the performances of your rounds, you should stick with them.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:04 PM   #4
DaleA

Just a note to add, while I think Bullseye for the .45 ACP is just fine there ARE other choices and there was recently a thread about them here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546214
Old May 6, 2014, 11:24 PM   #5
dom350

Thanks for the input! This forum is extremely helpful to those of use who are just getting into reloading. Lots of data, Lots of combinations and at times can be a bit overwhelming. I noticed my load for the 45 is on the lighter side, I may have to try a few in .1 grain increments and back off on the bullet depth a bit and see how those work out.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:38 AM   #6
Nick_C_S

1.125 does sound awfully deep for a Berry's 230 RN. But it might be right for your gun, I don't know.

I have loaded Berry's 230 RN. But I don't have my load data in front of me (I'm at work). But I believe mine plunk tested in the 1.26" neighborhood. Don't quote me on that though. I'll have to go check.
Old May 7, 2014, 05:04 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

And if forced, I would use the HP38 in 9x19 and the Bullseye in 45 ACP.

Except, of those two, I'd use HP38 in both.
Old May 7, 2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
As I dive deeper into my addiction, and continue my quest for a "Perfect" load, I think I have my powders backwards.
What is a perfect load? I guess that would be my question to figure out what your looking for. "Perfect load" Has many and often different meanings to different people.

Some like light loads that are accurate and where the powder burns clean. Also a bulky powder to fill the case so there is no chance of a double charge. Some also like loading more rounds using less powder. There are a few that fit the bill for one caliber that won't for another. The choices for powder and charge are a long list and many find themselves trying out many powders while others will stick to what they like.

If you want Velocity...well the hp38 (same as Winchester 231) is better in 45acp, and not as much in 9mm (23 fps). So in a since if all you want is velocity, then yes you have them backwards.

Really consider yourself lucky, you have 2 awesome powders in a time when powders are hard to come buy!
Old May 7, 2014, 06:31 PM   #9
SauerGrapes

Quote:
1.125 does sound awfully deep for a Berry's 230 RN.
I was thinking the same thing.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old May 7, 2014, 06:56 PM   #10
Paul B.

When the military finally settled on the 230 gr. bullet for the .45 ACP, the charge was 5.0 gr. of Bullseye. There is a good article by Mike Venturino on loading the .45 ACP in the current issue in Handloader Magazine. June 2014 #290.
Paul B.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:21 PM   #11
jag2

My favorite for 9mm is Accurate #5 but right now I've got more Bullseye than anything else. I use Lee dippers and keep it simple, I've got one dipper that holds 5 gr of Bullseye and use it for both 9 and 45. It's a little stout for 9mm but not bad and I'm shooting a very strong S&W (952 PC) so it can handle it just fine.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:58 PM   #12
dom350

What I meant by perfect load was more for accuracy then velocity.

I double checked my measurements and the seating is 1.250

Since I am using berry's plated I don't want to push velocity with the 9 and I am not too worried about the 45 even getting close to berry's maximum velocity.

I will continue to tweak my recipe to achieve a load my guns like. And I really appreciate everyone's input on the powders. I am constantly hunting for powders and yesterday I was able to pick up some w748 and 2230 for my 308, 30-30 and 223 loads.

I would be curious if anyone has seen a "Reloading Club" Yeah, I know some folks reload at the gun range like myself, but I hear people say all the time they are going to start, but it doesnt seem like they do.

Thanks again everyone, and I look forward to more replies from such an active forum on my future questions. Should be soon, I get my 308 bullets in the mail tomorrow. Rifles seem to be a whole different beast or at least it seems that way to me.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:22 AM   #13
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Since I am using berry's plated I don't want to push velocity with the 9 and I am not too worried about the 45 even getting close to berry's maximum velocity.
This is a non-issue. Plated bullets hold up just fine in both 9mm and 45ACP. I mean, I suppose you could drive the holy heck out of the 9's and start to see some issues; but you'd really have to go out of your way to get there.

The only calibers where you have to be mindful of plated bullets' limitations is with real potent chamberings - like 10mm and 357 Magnum.

With 9 and 45, no need to give it a second thought.