The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Farmer Joe

Slug question

What kind of slugs if any can i shoot in my Ithaca 37 with a modified choke, Remington 1100 with modified choke or Sears pump with cylinder bore, without causing damage to my shotgun.
Old November 28, 2007, 05:09 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Since the sabot slugs are best in a rifled barrel we are talking about the regular type slugs. I think any slug is safely fired thru any smooth barrel as long is NOT a full choke or tighter.
Brent
Old November 28, 2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Gbro

BARRELS AND CHOKES
Shotgun and slug technology has advanced considerably since the 1980s. We now have
fully rifled shotgun barrels and the ability to mount optical sights on our shotguns.
Modern sabot slug ammunition requires the use of a rifled barrel, no exceptions. And
while most shotguns will still be sold with smoothbore barrels, a rifled barrel can deliver
accuracy gains from almost any slug. Slug barrels are heavier in design and come
equipped with rifle sights or a cantilever mount for a scope.
Barrel length has very little effect on slug velocity and accuracy, and with that in mind a
20 to 23 inch barrel with deliver the best velocity from any load. If you choose to use a
short 18 inch barrel, slug velocity will not suffer very much. Sighted slug barrels are
always short length barrels 18 to 23 inches in length.
Chokes are designed to modify a shot pattern by squeezing the shot column together to a
predetermined amount of compression before the shot leaves the barrel, slowing the
outward dispersal of the shot. Chokes for the most part are useless for slug applications.
A slug is a single projectile and too much choke will destroy slug accuracy. The only
chokes applicable to slugs are Improved Cylinder and the modern interchangeable
threaded insert with rifling in it called a rifled choke.
Chokes are located in the last few inches of your barrel, or are interchangeable threaded
inserts as found in modern barrels. Essentially, the choke compresses the shot column by
tapering down to a smaller size than your true bore diameter, squeezing the shot together
as it passes through this constriction. A choke will also compress a slug the same way,
but beyond a few thousandths of an inch compression will grossly deform the slug and
destroy accuracy.
Choking of a shotgun barrel presents definite problems for slugs, and is another area of
hunting big game with a shotgun which causes confusion. Most modern slugs can be
safely fired through any choke so don't worry about using a modern slug with your choke,
but it is best to use the more open chokes whenever possible. While it is highly unlikely
that a constrictive choke will enhance accuracy, only testing out different chokes in your
shotgun will tell, and this can only be accomplished in a barrel using interchangeable
choke inserts.

This is the site where i found this information.
http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/e...tgun_slugs.pdf
Old November 28, 2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Farmer Joe

So I would probably be better off shooting slugs out of my Sears pump with a 24 inch cylinder bore barrel.
Old November 28, 2007, 07:55 PM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Or the expensive route: get a slug barrel. Believe me they are worth it.
Old November 28, 2007, 08:01 PM   #6
tplumeri

Bottom line; you can shoot any slug out of any barrell every now and then. If you plan to make a habit of it, get a slug barrell and enjoy!