The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 1, 2000, 06:55 PM   #1
Sisco

This gun belongs to my Mom, it's been around ever since I can remember (long time!). Any information I can get would be appreciated.
The topstrap is marked Victor 38 S&W CTGE, it was made by the H&R Arms Co., Worchester Mass.
Just thought I'd add; it's a 5 round double-action. Found a serial # under the grip while cleaning it - 264XX, numbers on the cylinder match. I do know that this was my grandfathers carry piece when he was a LEO in the late '30's, early 40's.

[This message has been edited by SK (edited June 01, 2000).]
Old June 1, 2000, 11:12 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, SK,

That gun was old when your grandfather carried it. Unfortunately, age in this case does not add up to value; those guns sell for less than $100. Most show their age and have alignment problems or other troubles (as we would if we were that old). I would give it a place of honor as an heirloom, but buy something new if you want a shooting gun.

Jim
Old June 2, 2000, 08:02 AM   #3
Sisco

Thanks for the reply, I don't believe the gun is safe to fire - the cylinder doesn't appear to lockup right, probably is misaligned. Not so much intrested in the value (priceless to me), just trying to find out more about it.
Old June 4, 2000, 10:20 PM   #4
Herodotus

When you say the revolver doesn't appear to lock up right, have you tried to see if it locks and aligns just as the hammer begins to fall? I don't know anything about H&R pistols, but I thought the same thing about an uncle's old 1930's Colt revolver. I took it to a good pistol smith to see if anything could be done and he showed me how it really worked and why there was nothing wrong with it.
My thought is that there may be nothing wrong as long as it was not shot a whole lot. If you do shoot it, avoid any +P loads, as the old guns where not built for them.
Old June 5, 2000, 06:00 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Herodotus,

I don't think there are any +P loads for the .38 S&W.

Jim