The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 24, 2002, 02:20 PM   #1
speed

Question for those who have been in a real gunfight

I would like to hear from any and all members who have been in a real gunfight.
Describe the encounter or encounters,was it a leo,military,ccw situation?
How did it feel compared to what you thought it would feel like?
How did your training effect the outcome?Would you have done anything different?
Please include anything else that might be of interest or helpfull to others.
Old February 24, 2002, 03:10 PM   #2
Sierra1

Ambushed

Speed,
I have been on the receiving end of gunfire, if that counts. In 1998 while on patrol my partner and I were ambushed in a part of town where the cops were not especially liked. We had reports from other officers on other shifts of shots fired in their direction but there was never any contact.
At about 0200 on a quiet commercial street that had some apartments on it, gun fire erupted from what seemed like every direction. The rear windshield was blown out. I immediately drew my sidearm, a Beretta 92FS, and was ready to return fire but we couldn't determine where it was coming from. My partner, responded to training, gunned the engine and we sped as fast we could out of the "kill zone." On patrol you are, or at least should be on a high state of alert, but obviously as we experienced you can't cover all the angles, predict a situation, or see every shooter! We were fortunate that the only losses were to the vehicle and my Streamlight 20X! At the time I think I was more mad than anything, that someone was shooting at us, but due to circumstance we couldn't return fire. I just wish that we had caught the BG's...but I'm sure they will probably get busted for something else at some point. In hindsight, I'm just glad that I lived through that experience. It has made me even more conscious of my surroundings and reminds that I can never slack off!
Old February 24, 2002, 09:56 PM   #3
TheeBadOne

Scar on my chest; passed on a heavenly rest.
Old February 26, 2002, 08:22 AM   #4
jimsbowies

try to forget it

Was on small town PD...

Spotted fellow wanted on several burglary and robbery warrants...called for backup....

He produces 22 caliber auto and starts firing...then runs.....hides behind tire store.

Of course, word got out over radio.....local deputy comes onto scene and gets smart...gonna "sneak" up on the culprit......gets himself gut=shot...and nearly died.

By now, it's myself and two other officers...all three Vietnam vets...we belly crawl up to the culvert where BG is likely hiding....we have squad car spotlights on the area.....we issue warning and ask him to come out....

Eventually, he does....SHOOTING....

REALLY BAD MISTAKE....

I empty the contents of a custom built Model 28 S&W 357, other officer empties riot shotgun and third empties 38 cal revolver....(NOTE, THIS WAS BEFORE THE DEPARTMENTS WENT WITH SEMI-AUTOS)

HE DIED....

But your question is what you were thinking, etc. Frankly, the three of us had wartime experience, had both military and civilian LEO training and the training kicked in. I don't recall having any real conscious thought except to take down the BG, stay close to the ground and go home that night!