The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 1, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1
cajun47

finally found one! lcr 22! yes its for ccw! dry firing safe?

well its to replace my naa mini revolver tbh.

i bought a lcr 22 today at the gunshow. i was interested sure, but when i held it in my hand i had to buy. $409 + tax. plus $30 for a romera holster.

i stopped in a field on the way home. i shot 100 rounds of federal 550 bulk and 100 rounds of winchester red box bulk. no problems. i was very surprised how accurate the lcr 22 is. i thought snub nose revolvers weren't accurate? must be a .38spl/.357 thing.

8 shots of very accurate 22s are more appealing to me than 5 snappy shots of the others. the lcr 22 will indeed be a ccw for me.... as a backup to my glock 19 or the lcr 22 will be a ccw when im sure i don't need to be carrying. its like it isn't there. i also think its a great "get off me" gun. but the main reason is for plinking fun and fun it is!

o yea, i plan to rotate cci velocitor and aguila interceptors in my new little friend for ccw duty. or should i use the subsonic 60 gr(?) with that short barrel?

i would consider a lcr in 38spl only after i shot one.

so i see a video on the lcr 22 and the guy is dry firing it like crazy. if that may damage the gun would it be safe to dry fire with empty shells in the cylinder?
Old April 1, 2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Webleymkv

According to the FAQ on their website, all Ruger revolvers can be dry fired without damage. If you're still worried about it, simply get some snap caps to use while dry firing.
Old April 1, 2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Budda

A .22 for CCW? .38 snub not accurate?? What is in your water down there?
Old April 1, 2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Walklightly

Dru fire it with empty shells in it.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:35 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

38/357 not accurate? I carry a 357 LCR for CC - I love it and at normal SD range, it's very accurate. Like any weapon, you have to practice, practice, practice.

Everyone has the right to CC whatever they want to in whatever caliber they want to. If you're comfortable with a .22, then more power to you.

Myself, having worked ambulance and rescue and seeing first hand the effect of gunshot woulds, I want something that is going to put the attacker down and make him stay down. Yes, a well placed .22 can put a person down and again, if you are comfortable with it, then go for it. As a back up to your Glock, it would be great. Just remember that as a "get off of me" gun, you might bite off more than you can chew. Never carry a hand grenade to a tank fight.

I do sometimes carry a .22 on the farm . . just in case I get jumped by an angry woodchuck or a pack of chipmunks. Just kidding . . . enjoy your new Ruger . . . I haven't had a chance to shoot the 22 version yet but I hear it's a great pistol. Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 1, 2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Auto426

Whoops, wrong thread.

Last edited by Auto426; April 2, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old April 2, 2012, 08:50 AM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
i thought snub nose revolvers weren't accurate? must be a .38spl/.357 thing.
Quality snubbies from S&W and Ruger are plenty accurate. The problem is that most people can't shoot them accurately.
Quote:
o yea, i plan to rotate cci velocitor and aguila interceptors in my new little friend for ccw duty. or should i use the subsonic 60 gr(?) with that short barrel?
It's difficult to give an authoritative answer to this because I haven't seen any terminal ballistics tests of .22LR ammo out of a barrel this short. However, there are some general rules to consider:
  • Out of a barrel shorter than ~6", .22LR is pretty much categorically subsonic, regardless of the load used.
  • Standard .22LR hollow points generally won't expand at short-barrel velocities. I've personally fired a couple of cheap high-velocity HP loads into water jugs with a 4" S&W M18 and expansion was zero.
  • Lightweight hyper-velocity frangible loads such as the CCI Stinger and Aguila SuperMax may expand and fragment, but against larger critters, this will generally reduce penetration to the point of uselessness. Save these for shooting small varmints and/or water bottles (splat!) with a rifle.
  • IMHO you're barking up the right tree using hyper-velocity solids since these will probably outperform any other load, but they'll do it at the cost of substantially increased muzzle flash and noise, and the increase in performance over a regular high-velocity solid will probably be small.
I would consider sticking with standard inexpensive HV solids, but if you can live with the increased noise, YMMV.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...
Quote:
Dr[y] fire it with empty shells in it.
I don't like doing this because the firing pin can mash the shell badly enough that it becomes hard to extract.

However, I've been told that ordinary plastic drywall anchors work great, although I haven't personally tried it and don't remember which size was recommended.

Last edited by carguychris; April 2, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Oh yeah, dry firing!
Old April 2, 2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Walklightly

Quote:
I don't like doing this because the firing pin can mash the shell badly enough that it becomes hard to extract.
My Beretta Bobcat 21A 22lr manual mentioned that.
Old April 2, 2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Webleymkv

In the testing I've seen, CCI Velocitors typically expand little or none from a handgun but they to tend to want to yaw and they do penetrate well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFsDDgztf50

Last edited by Webleymkv; April 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added link
Old April 3, 2012, 01:15 AM   #10
22-rimfire

Enjoy it. I have one too.
Old April 3, 2012, 04:53 AM   #11
OxyGuy

Congrats on the new LCR22. One of those is on my list of guns to get soon. They are pretty hard to find around here.

Quote:
.....or the lcr 22 will be a ccw when im sure i don't need to be carrying.
Just curious, how do you decide when there is a time not to be carrying?
Old April 3, 2012, 07:58 AM   #12
5thShock

Why not just load the empties to dry fire? You'll have plenty and if you can load empty cases and do it quick that's part of the art. Good you got a gun you like a lot, don't worry none if some don't.
Old April 3, 2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Jayhawkhuntclub

Why not just dryfire the thing? Most knowledgeable Ruger owners dryfire the crap out of theirs. The only reason not to is ignorance. Most of us grew up being told not to dryfire. But it really just depends on the gun.
Old April 4, 2012, 07:35 AM   #14
cajun47

"Just curious, how do you decide when there is a time not to be carrying?"

off the top of my head, i'll carry only the lcr 22 in the house where other guns aren't far away. while fishing/boating where my s&w .44 mag is arm's length away in a dry box. working on a car or something that might require laying on the ground.
Old April 5, 2012, 12:52 AM   #15
TennJed

Keep up posted. The last gun a bought was a Beretta Bobcat in .22lr. I had it narrowed down to that and the LCR. When I finaly gave up trying to choose, I just went witht the Bobcat because I like that particular gunshop owner better than the other.

Anyway, interested to see how you like it over the long haul. I have is on my short list to get soon
Old April 5, 2012, 05:13 AM   #16
Walklightly

It's on my long list of gun's to own.
Old April 5, 2012, 07:23 AM   #17
cajun47

i did a test with 3 one gallon water jugs(filled with water) cause thats all i had. using the lcr 22, first shot was cci velocitor. went straight through all 3 and didn't seem to have expansion. a quick follow up shot with aguila interceptors (solids but with flat nose) caused the first jug to kinda explode and split. the interceptors are the better round for the lcr no doubt. i'll save the cci velocitor for the rifle.

next time i'll test plywood.
Old April 5, 2012, 08:44 AM   #18
Viper225

I have both an LCR 22 and an LCR 357. The 22 is a great practice/training handgun. I have been using Tuff Products Model 1022 Quick Strips to reload it with. Skip a shell between pairs for cylinder clearance. This will only reload 7 rounds, but is great practice for loading your 38/357 with the Quick Strips.

I conceal carry all the time. I also carry my LCR 22 now and again. I live in a rural area about 10 miles from Mayberry. I am not sure when we had the last mugging or car jacking. We have an armed robbery once every 10 years or so in the County. If you stay out of bars it is a pretty low threat area.
With that said, I probably fire atleast 20 rounds a year while concealed carrying. Poison snakes, armodillows, mud turtles swapping ponds, deer hit by cars, etc.

I have carried my 2-1/2" 66 all week with 2 shot shells up front. Went out for supper with a bunch from Church last night changed to my LCR 357 with 357 Short Barrel carry ammo. Today I am back to the 66 with shot shells.

My point is not everyones carry for personal protection all the time.

I find the LCR to be a must have handgun. If the S&W 43C had a steel cylinder, I might be willing to spend another $150 to upgrade to it. Until the 43C has a steel cylinder I do not consider it to be an upgrade over the LCR 22. In my opinion anyone who carries a J Frame for CC should own a J Frame size 22 to practice with. The LCR 22 lets you get in a massive amount of trigger time, with a handgun that does not recoil. The lack of recoil will let one pick up on any bad habbits a heavy recoiling centerfire will mask.

I have a Lobo Enhanced Pancake for the pair of LCR's. I also have a Tuff Products Speed Strip carrier to hold a couple of the 1022 Quick Strips in Orange. I shoot the LCR 22 in BUG Division in our Clubs Defensive Pistol Match. I reload with the Quick Strips. Great Practice.

I have been carrying CCI Stingers most of the time. I also have some Velocitiors but I have not done any testing with either so far.

Bob
Old April 5, 2012, 09:06 AM   #19
deerslayer303

Congrats on the LCR22, I too want one. As I said b4 I happen to think a .22 is fine for ccw and would carry one. If I shot a perp 9 times in the face with one I promise you he won't be getting up. And yes 9 times in the face with one is not a problem, because MOST people who own them can afford to practice ALOT . As far as the LCR in .38 special, I bought my wife one and put the smaller crimson trace grips on it for her, and I have to tell ya I HATE shooting that thing, it hurts the crap out of my hand. With the original grips it wasn't too bad. But the ole lady loves the thing and is quite good with it. I could not imagine firing an LCR in .357 mag with the crimson trace grips.
Old April 26, 2012, 10:06 PM   #20
B.N.Real

Viper225,everything you said is exactly why I want a LCR 22.

Cheap to shoot, zero recoil and a quality handgun that is accurate.

And for those who think it's no gun for self defense-it's certainly better then no gun for self defense.

And because it's a revolver-you will get all eight rounds on target,if you do your part right.
Old April 26, 2012, 11:17 PM   #21
Obambulate

THe LCR looks like a winner for sure. I'd have no problem with using an 8-shot .22lr for carry. Try the CCI Small Game Bullet in the LCR. That should penetrate well.

Old April 27, 2012, 10:27 AM   #22
Budda

A .22 for CCW? I hope you only get held up by Chipmunks and Squirls in your town.

If you carry the LCR .22 isn't the LCR.38 the same size?
Old April 27, 2012, 11:05 AM   #23
22-rimfire

Quote:
If you carry the LCR .22 isn't the LCR.38 the same size?
It sure is. But maybe he doesn't own a LCR in 38spl or 357 mag.

I don't know why so many folks get all hung up about carrying a 22 for self defense. Sure there are better calibers, but it is a matter of choice or in some cases, that's all you have.

Quote:
My point is not everyones carry for personal protection all the time.
Yep. Never fired a shot in self defense in my life. But there are times when a gun comes in handy for other purposes.
Old April 27, 2012, 11:19 AM   #24
spacecoast

Quote:
i thought snub nose revolvers weren't accurate?
Last weekend I shot an 86/100 in Timed Fire at 25 yards, one-handed and all double action, using a stock Airweight S&W 637-2 (.38 special).

Snubbies are plenty accurate. It's much more dependent on the shooter and their comfort level and expectations.
Old January 9, 2013, 01:37 AM   #25
GunByte

The problem with saying 8 rounds of .22 are better than 5 of .38 is that you are assuming that you can get off more than one shot or are able to aim or even use two hands. Violent encounters tend to be very brief and count yourself lucky if you can even get to your gun in time. Having been in combat I know that what people imagine in their minds is never soiling your pants or being so scared that they freeze in place and yet that happens, even to tough guys and those who think it will not happen to them. At best, the first time their accuracy suffers greatly and even I missed at very close range with a fully automatic M16 my first time despite 6 months of training. Reality is very different than what we imagine without the stress of immenient death, no matter how much we think otherwise.

There really is no reason why any able bodied person cannot learn to shoot a 9mm or .38 spl. I teach people in their 70's to do so in my retirement community all the time. The problem seems to be more of an unwillingness to put in the time it takes to get good with those guns. Anyone who played a contact sport has experience a lot worse than even a .44 mag can do to them. In fact, a lot fo old people around here like to shoot a .44 for fun.