The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Death from Afar

Signs of wear in a O/U gun

Lads, any suggestions for parts the weapon that I should examine on an O/U gun to get an indication of how much work it has done?
Old June 12, 2006, 10:23 PM   #2
wacki

Well, you could carbon date it.
Old June 12, 2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Ruger4570

I usually look at the receiver and see how much of the side and bottom finish is gone,, or remaining. It at least shows how much "handling" the gun has had. Look at the opening lever, if it is left of center, it is getting worn out. I grasp the gun and try to see if there is any verticle loosness then check for side looseness. I will remove the forend and look for excessive wear on the iron of the forend and the bearing surface of the receiver. I also look at the sides of the mono block for gouges or excessive wear. I check the mating surfaces of the locking mechanism. ( many types there) Check for peening of the locking surfaces. The receiver at the firing pins should be smooth and the holes round and not elongated although some brass shell marking is of no concern generally. If you study guns, you can get a feel if it was well handled or abused very quickly. I have no use for abused guns unless they are almost free, and then, I have only a little interest. I just noticed, this is your Anniversary 1,000th post. Happy posting to you, happy posting to you,, ahhh never mind
Old June 12, 2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Death from Afar

Thanks Wacki, very helpful.
Old June 12, 2006, 10:34 PM   #5
Ruger4570

Oh yes, as Whacki said, there is Carbon dating
Old June 13, 2006, 10:01 AM   #6
akr

You would enjoy an abused gun about as much as you would enjoy a car you just bought, and discovered a bird's nest in the air cleaner.
Old June 13, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7
mete

I inspected an abused gun and found it had been abused on the outside but like new on the inside !! Is the bore in good shape ? Hinge pins and locking surfaces see very high forces ,do they look worn, is there movement [can you wiggle ] in the hinge pin ? Breech face worn ? Is the firing pin tip in good shape.?
Old June 13, 2006, 12:54 PM   #8
auto45

Good posts,

Check the rib(s) on the bbl also. Inside of the bore for rusting, pitting, etc.
You would probably need a smith to check if the bore has been altered for chokes, overboring etc. If done, it needs to be done properly.

Good luck
Old June 13, 2006, 02:20 PM   #9
skeeter1

I can't speak for O/U's but my Ithaca S/S's have each had several thousand rounds through them over the past 30 years, and are still as tight as the day I bought them.

One of them broke an ejector spring, and I took out it's counterpart as well. Now they just work as extractors, which is better for collecting the empties at the trap range for reloading.

On the rare day when I broke 100 straight, the guys with their Perazzi's, Browning's, or whatever, were mad that a guy with a S/S whupped them, and believe me, I smiled all the way home!
Old June 13, 2006, 03:05 PM   #10
Anthony2

O/U Wear signs...

I have, had, or used, many O/U's in the past 5-10 yrs. Aside from the forementioned advice, I have learned the following:

1-Just because the manufacturer isn't high end doesn't mean it's junk(I have a BOITO that's been with me for 10yrs, looks like *#^$, closes like a safe, and hits every bird I point at.)

2-If you can feel excessive "give" or "play" in the newer O/U's (especially Gazelles') avoid them like the plague!

3-Even the best gun maker has some duds, ALWAYS check clearances/tolerances before buying(Terrible Beretta experience).

4-Research, research, research!!! Better to know all the possible outcomes than to be caught off-guard.

Kind Regards,

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old June 13, 2006, 11:30 PM   #11
scotts_4x

in addition to the afformentioned stuff above, one of the more important things that you would want to do is to take the forend off of the gun and, while placing the butt pad on your knee/thigh and gripping the gun by the pistol grip, shake the gun side to side. if there is any play in the hinge you will know it. THIS is the way to check hinge play. most of the time you cannot see any damage to a hinge pin, this will tell you for sure. I had my money 1/2 way out of my wallet, on a brand new gun(!), and decided to do this just for incasies. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. needles to say my wallet slammed shut quicker than I could tell he salesman no thanks.

-Scott
Old June 14, 2006, 02:34 AM   #12
wacki

Quote:
Thanks Wacki, very helpful.
Well I gotta be honest. If an O/U feels like it's solid and it shoots there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong.
Old June 14, 2006, 09:13 PM   #13
Death from Afar

Well, I bit the bullet and got the Betinsolli diamond grade trap gun. Very nice bit of gear, and since I am going out pigeon shooting on Saturday, full report to follow...