The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 13, 2013, 06:55 AM   #76
Deja vu

I have enjoyed this thread. The best thing I have ever found was an arrow stuck about 10 feet up in a tree with the remains of a tree squirrel pinned to the tree.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 13, 2013, 02:22 PM   #77
mcb66

I found a set of crutches out in the middle of nowhere one time. I have always wondered how they ended up there.
Old September 15, 2013, 02:10 PM   #78
8MM Mauser

A buddy and I once found the remains of a 67 Corvette probably a good mile from the closest road. No idea how it got there. In the same section of woods, probably a quarter mile away we found the remains of a house, mostly just the crawlspace, but part of a brick fireplace was intact too.
Old September 15, 2013, 02:40 PM   #79
PawPaw

Sometime about 1968, a bunch of us where hunting on the west side of the Catahoula swamp in Central Louisiana. Very rugged, flat area, it is a floodplain of the Little River/Old river area, dominated by a huge, flat lake. We were out in the middle of that swamp, about a mile from the nearest road, and we found a school bus. Not a school bus body, painted green and modified for camping, but a by-God, totally legit school bus with all the seats, yellow as the day it came out of the Blue Bird factory.

We marveled at it for a little while, and wondered how it got there. We used it as a landmark for several years, until a big flood came along and took it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 18, 2013, 12:07 PM   #80
bird_dog

Quote:
While squirrel hunting very early one morning I saw a pileated woodpecker--we called them "woods hens" because of their size--that had just finished hanging himself. He had swooped down between two trees, caught his head in a fork of a thin sapling, and broken his neck. He was still warm.
That reminded me of this: (good thread)

One day when still-hunting for deer near a friend's pond, I scared up a flock of geese. I can only assume that I was blocking their normal takeoff path, and they had to climb sharply to get over some poplar trees.

One of the geese hit some branches and (I guess!) broke his neck, falling stone dead, back into the pond.
Old September 19, 2013, 08:05 PM   #81
WV_gunner

Me and a buddy have literally found a bag of rocks. It was a nylon feed bag filled with rocks. We found a Gerber knife the sameday, ended up belonging to a friend. In the same area we've also found a cemetery, about a 100 years old. Shame the government acquired the property in the '40s.
Old September 19, 2013, 08:10 PM   #82
TXAZ

B-24 wreckages on the highest peak in AZ and one on a high peak in NM.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 19, 2013, 08:25 PM   #83
globemaster3

TXAZ, what was left of the wreckage?

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old September 20, 2013, 04:25 PM   #84
Jo6pak

About 10 years ago we found a complete rotting body of a huge buck stuck about 15 feet up in the wedge of a large oak tree at the bottom of a 80ft tall rock facing. We can only guess that the buck ran off the end of the cliff and got caught in the tree branches.
Old October 5, 2013, 03:33 PM   #85
Kimbercommander

I was running a gold dredge just down river from Sutherlin, Or. and from under about 8 feet of overburden in the hole i found a toilet with seat still on it. I got to looking figured it was deposited there during the 1946 flood as thats the last big flood in that area.
Old October 8, 2013, 09:05 AM   #86
BumbleBug

Look out for those Texas rattle babies....

A friend of mine was touring his ranch in West Texas after a recent, much needed rain. With deer season right around the corner, he was checking blinds, feeders, looking for hog damage, arrowhead hunting & jumping a few deer. He decided to check an old shack that is on the place & discovered a visitor!

...bug
Old October 12, 2013, 01:16 PM   #87
Mausermolt

love the posts guys! keep em coming! not really a "find" but as a pilot i see lots of cool things from the air. my current job in Haiti they have alot of 18th and 19th century forts. this one is considered to be the lost wonder of the world The Citadel Henry. every stone was carried up a STEEP 2500 foot mountain to be build all by hand. beautiful sight to see from the air
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00202-20130106-1059.jpg (187.2 KB, 36 views)
Old October 12, 2013, 06:35 PM   #88
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Mausermolt, hunt up a 1940s Book Of The Month Club historical novel, Kenneth Roberts' "Lydia Bailey". Part of it is set in Haiti during Christophe's time in power.
Old October 12, 2013, 06:39 PM   #89
Mausermolt

i will have to do that thanks Art