The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 13, 2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Big Yac

Game Cameras

I was looking over the Bass Pro Shop website and came across a camera called the Day 6 Outdoors Plot Watcher. Its a camera that takes an image every 5 to 10 seconds during the daylight hours. You can then review the footage as a time lapse video. Has anyone used one of these? They look nice and seem to have good reviews. I understand they wont catch anything coming by at night but seeing whats moving through during the day would be nice too.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Logs

Never used that one, but I have four of the Primos cams they have on sale for $79 and they are great. They will take 30 sec video and work great at night. Best thing about the Primos cams is that they have the longest battery life I have seen out of any of my other cams.

Wildview flash EZ cam - Batteries dead in 2 weeks
Wildview If Red - Batteries dead in 3 weeks
Moultrie and Stealth cams - Batteries dead in 4 weeks

Primos Cams have lasted 6-8 months so far on the same set of batteries.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:07 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

logs, the one he is mentioning automatically takes a shot with motion or not... over see the whole viewing area not just the critter that tripped it...

Never used one but heard a few good reviews on a local huntin/fishin forum...

Brent
Old December 13, 2011, 09:07 AM   #4
onewing

I believe the bushnel trophy cam can do this as an added function to the motion detector, and comes with a code to download a program that shifts through all the pictures taken detecting anything that has moved, abnormalities etc.. Never used that function so cant say how often it takes photos, will try check though.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Big Yac

yes, I guess I didnt mention that, this camera takes pictures of the whole shooting area. I do wonder though how hard it could be to see the animals or go back and find one certain frame, a running animal might be hard to see. Unlike a trail cam I bet you could be surprised what you catch on the camera, like a trespasser. The camera looks small and says thats its HD. I'm very tempted
Old December 13, 2011, 10:15 AM   #6
PawPaw

I've got a buddy who has a couple of those and he likes them. He says that it's not a problem to stop and find a specific frame, and that the camera has enough resolution that he can zoom on an animal to check it more closely. He tells me that he can also set it for the hours he wants to hunt so that he can see what's using the plot during the times he's likely to be there.

After hearing his glowing reviews, I'm thinking about buying one myself.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 13, 2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Gbro

The 1st time i put my new Cuddyback trail camera out I had all kinds of pictures on it but for the life of me I couldn't see any animals. I kept it there and got a picture of a friend hunting, but again dozens of pictures with no critters.
After I pulled it in I found I had it in time laps
I didn't know it was even a feature.
Old December 14, 2011, 02:56 AM   #8
onewing

Haha nice one Gbro.

I just checked the bushnell trophy cam, its feature is called "field scan" and sounds the same as the topic of this thread, you set a time throughout the day that you want to monitor and within that time it will take a 8MP pic or HD video at intervals of either 1, 5, 15 or 30 minutes. You can have both motion detector capture and "field scan" running at the same time as well.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:49 AM   #9
shortwave

Can these cams that have the 'field scan' modes, field scan at night with no visible light?

The problem around here is keeping cams with a flash. Just to many thieves around here and game cams with any type flash don't last long.
Old December 14, 2011, 10:17 AM   #10
Big Yac

I dont know why I didnt include this in my original post but here is a link to the camera which I was talking about. http://www.basspro.com/Day-6-Outdoor...10206658/57473 There is also one which is alittle more expensive(made by the same company) but also has high reviews.
Old December 14, 2011, 11:48 AM   #11
shortwave

Thanks for posting info Big Yak.

Doesn't look as though it films at night.

As I was on the site you posted, started looking at the Moultrie M-80 series with I.R. flash. It also has the 'plot watcher' mode. Read many of the reviews and it seems to be a good camera for the $.
Old December 14, 2011, 05:28 PM   #12
Big Yac

shortwave,

I like that Moultrie M-80, looks like a pretty slick setup, best of both worlds and pretty favorable reviews plus about $30 cheaper, I'm interested
Old December 15, 2011, 03:31 AM   #13
shortwave

Me too, Big Yac.

Think the M-80 is my next purchase.
Old December 27, 2011, 12:14 AM   #14
BIGR

Bought a M-80 back in September. So far so good and it takes pretty good turkey pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkey Invasion.JPG (82.2 KB, 15 views)
Old December 27, 2011, 04:18 AM   #15
a7mmnut

I have friends that really love the new M-80's. One of them bought six! It's all about flash range and pixel size when it comes to night pics. I've got two Wildlife Innovations-a 5mp and a 6mp. Here's a night pic on low batteries with the 5 mp.

Buck1.jpg

-7-