The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 25, 2009, 12:09 AM   #1
usaz

AR .22 conversion bad for suppressor?

Is it not a good idea to use a suppressor on an AR that has a .22 conversion unit (Ciener) installed? Since a 5.56 barrel (this one's a 10.3") is really not made to shoot a bullet the diameter of a .22 LR, is there a chance of a baffle strike due to unstableness? Thanks for any replies / info.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

The bigger problem would be leading. If you have a 5.56 suppressor it is likely welded shut to handle the pressure. .22 is a dirty round and will fill a can with lead. You can shoot .22 in a 5.56 can but you risk filling it up with crud. If you want to suppress your .22 conversion you should get a take-apart .22 can so you can clean the crap out of it.

...This is where someone chimes in and says that I am wrong and they shoot .22 in their sealed can all the time...
Old May 25, 2009, 05:04 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest you get a dedicated 22 LR upper and use subsonic ammo. It probably won't cycle the action, but you really don't want to hear that click-click as the bolt slams back and forth, do you?
Old May 25, 2009, 06:27 PM   #4
usaz

I already bought the conversion (I did think about a dedicated upper but didn't want to pay the price).

When I shoot it'll have a Tactical Innovations Quest .22 can mounted.

Are baffle strikes an issue from shooting a .22 LR bullet down a 5.56 bore?
Old May 25, 2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

I use a Ciener M16 .22LR conversion for my M16A1 and have been shooting through my Ciener made .223 suppressor for around 20 years. No baffle strikes and haven't filled it full of lead. Just clean the barrel good when it is all over.

NRA Life Member