The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2013, 03:31 PM   #1
elkslayer4x5

Small base die sets

While on vacation down to to Calif, to visit with his grandmother and sister, Grandpa Mike gives my grandson a M760 Remington in .30-06. Checking the die cabinet, We've got two sets of RCBS in .30-06, series A and series K. The series A set is from 2001-2 and the K series set is older. Are either of these die sets the Small Base we need to reload for this nice old pump?
Old July 31, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
iraiam

The RCBS small base dies have a SB on them, or at least mine do.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old July 31, 2013, 07:07 PM   #3
jepp2

Quote:
Are either of these die sets the Small Base we need to reload for this nice old pump
I load for various autoloaders and always start with traditional dies. If there is a problem with those (when properly sizing brass and setting the shoulder back the proper amount), then I would go to small base dies. I never have needed to. I have a new set of RCBS 223 small base dies, and I have never removed the rust preservative yet.
Old July 31, 2013, 10:30 PM   #4
crowbeaner

I use RCBS SB dies in 3 calibers- .308, 30-06, and .223. I have 270 dies, but they only load ammo for a BAR. MOST rifles will be OK with standard dies, but a few (like the various BARs) need small base dies. I load for both a 760 and 742 in '06 and use the SB dies because a balk in bear country could be hazardous to my tired old body if ursus decides to make a fight. My BIL agrees and he has a 760. Accuracy is excellent in all 3 rifles. YMMV.
Old August 1, 2013, 08:14 AM   #5
noylj

Folks loaded with regular dies for about 80 years or more and didn't need small base sizers.
SB sizers are a solution to a problem that very few people have, but many have adopted as they want to prevent any problem.
They do work the case a bit more.
Why not try what works for 99.99% of the folks?
If the sized cases don't chamber (you will want to load one or two inert (no powder of primer) dummy rounds with bullets if the case itself won't feed), and you have trimmed them to the correct length after sizing, then you MIGHT need a SB die.
Old August 1, 2013, 09:48 AM   #6
elkslayer4x5

Thank you all, just wanted to be sure. We'll start him out with new brass, and full length re-size.