The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
rebs

I need some help guys

I reload for 5.56/223. I am using lake city 5.56 brass, I cleaned, sized, swagged and trimmed them all. I have reloaded them 8 to 9 times, now I am starting to get a few cracked necks, are they finished ? I have worked uip a few loads and one time at the range I get some one ragged holers for 5 rounds, and the rest about a 1 inch group. The next trip to the range a couple days later with more of the same load I get no one ragged holers and the groups are beteen 1 to 1 1/2". I am not getting much consistency. I am loading the same bullet, same amount of powder, same primer etc. and loading the powder with an RCBS powder dump. what am I doing wrong or am I expecting too much ? How can I load a batch of bullets that shoot great one day and then load another batch and they are not as accurate ?
Old July 30, 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It might be too late for those but you could try annealing the necks and, in the future, doing it every 3 or 4 loads. Be careful. Annealing can be dangerous if you get the head or body too close to the head too hot.

I'm not exactly following the way you're describing your groups but there are 27 gazillion variables. It could be one too many cups of coffee. It could be the temperature, to some extent, or a combination of environmental variables. It could be the brass capacity or variations in neck tension since they are obviously work-hardened and ready to crack. Could be something else in your technique, shooting or loading. It could be that you're seeing what that load ACTUALLY does, as 5 shot groups don't tell you the truth, ultimately.
Old July 30, 2013, 03:05 PM   #3
rebs

I forgot to say that when I seat the bullets there is a difference in how much pressure it takes to seat them, some seat very easy and some seat hared, I am guessing that is the difference in neck tension, right ? Also I am not weighing each and every powder charge, I am weighing every 5th one.
Old July 30, 2013, 03:50 PM   #4
madmo44mag

Work hardened brass will make the bullet feel like it is harder to seat and it is because the brass is hard.
Learn to annealing the necks.
You Tube is your friend.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
chiefr

I have been reloading LC 5.56 for over 30 years. I can tell you that there are differences in the thickness and softness of the brass by lots.
A majority of LC 72 I prepped years ago, was made with much softer than normal brass as I had so many stuck cases, I trashed the majority.
Other lots, seem more brittle and case life varies. Have had exceptional case life out of LC 80s.
If all other factors are the same with your reloads, I agree that it could very well be a problem with your brass.
As with any milbrass, be sure to check neck thickness periodically.