The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1
osirus82

Bench or desk? Is there a poll option?

So im debating reloading desk or work table? I found a spot to put my desk/table. so is there more stuff that needs to be done standing? IM using a dillion650xl- im 31 and have no standing issues. thanks all
Old July 28, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2
g.willikers

I sit at an over sized computer table / desk, for reloading.
The press is mounted on a two by four, and c-clamped there when needed.
Don't even have to move the computer stuff.
A small book case in the room holds the components.
Now, I don't have to reload in the hot garage anymore.
And I get to sit in a nice, comfy swivel office chair, instead of standing or perched on a stool.
Old July 28, 2013, 03:02 PM   #3
A pause for the COZ

I Use a bench that comes up to a comfortable working height while standing.
I then have a stool of the proper height.
That way I can stand when I want and sit when I want.
With a table your stuck just sitting.
Old July 28, 2013, 03:14 PM   #4
g.willikers

Old people like to sit.
I'd druther lie down, actually, but my arms aren't long enough.
Old July 28, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
res45

My reloading bench is a desk an old wooden office desk to be exact I bought at the Habitat ReStore for $15.

The office chair was a freebie,somebody at the college broke one of the caster off so they threw it out,perfectly good chair except for the broken foot. JB Weld is great stuff and after standing on concrete for 8 to 10 hours a day it nice to sit down and enjoy your hobby.

Old July 28, 2013, 05:01 PM   #6
jepp2

Quote:
so is there more stuff that needs to be done standing
I load both sitting and standing at times. I can't think of anything that I do standing that I can't do as well sitting. What is most important is your chair is the proper height for the reloading press, if you are going to sit.

Having lots of flat open surface and storage is most important to me.
Old July 28, 2013, 05:23 PM   #7
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted byg.willikers: Old people like to sit.
I'd druther lie down, actually, but my arms aren't long enough.

HEY! I resemble that remark!

Old writing desk with drawers on one side. Reinforced the top with 3/4'' oak plywood and extended it on the side opposite of the drawers by 24'' to cover where I store my powder. Then bolted it to the wall for stability.
Old July 28, 2013, 05:50 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

I used a desk for a couple of weeks. The height just did not work for me. I built a bench that is tall enough for me to work at standing comfortably. I also have a bar stool that I cut to height for the times when my gout flares up. I then work sitting down.
Old July 28, 2013, 06:26 PM   #9
A pause for the COZ

Well I tried to find a image that my bench did not look like a pig stye. I had to go back a ways.

This does not show the big comfy bar stool I found this summer at a yard sale.
This does show the lower shelf that doubles as a foot rest while seated.
Old July 28, 2013, 07:28 PM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
dillion650xl- im 31
If you have it on a strong-mount, it may be too high to use sitting down. In my case, I have a Dillon 550b and a RCBS Jr.(removable, not permanently mounted) on a home-made wooden bench with one and 1/2 inch angle iron legs. I use the dillon standing, and the RCBS Jr. sitting down. The bench is purposely higher than a desk.

I would post pictures, but it is so cluttered and messy it looks more like a dung-heap than a work area... nd I am too shamed by the neat work-benches others have posted by comparison.
Old July 28, 2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Crashbox

I prefer to stand although I do have a bar-type stool I can sit on if desired. I think a lot of it depends on exactly what I'm doing at the bench. If I'm just decapitating or charging brass I will tend to sit, but sizing, priming, seating, and running my progressive is usually done standing. Even though I'm on my feet an awful lot at work FWIW.
Old July 29, 2013, 11:31 AM   #12
osirus82

thanks for all the replies, i think a desk in conjunction with a high mount and a stool and chair will work well, I'll be able to stand or sit depending on process. I see a couple old steel desks and have some square pieces of stainless steel to secure the press with. Im still waiting on dies from dillion- i called them a couple days ago, they said still 4-6 weeks.
Old July 29, 2013, 10:24 PM   #13
SVTCobra306

Bench for me.. I like to have some extra open space , if nothing else it makes it look less cluttered.

I do need a taller chair though. The only thing I plan to add (besides actually mounting my powder measure stand) is a light under the top shelf, and I will eventually upgrade the top to a thicker version.

Old July 29, 2013, 11:48 PM   #14
boondocker385

I stand because I sit much of the day.....
Old July 30, 2013, 02:47 AM   #15
mxsailor803

If you go with a desk, I would recommend reinforcing the top. I had mine originally setup on a desk and it flexed like crazy. Now I have a wooden bench from Harbor Freight that works great.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:16 AM   #16
4runnerman

I use both. My oldest moved out last year so I took over the room. I have a heavy duty bench for all press related stuff and a computer desk for all other prep work. I also put in a 8 foot folding table for all rifle cleaning and such. I was keeping records on a laptop in the room also, But I finally got a I-Pad that comes to range with me now.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:34 AM   #17
dahermit

Quote:
If you go with a desk, I would recommend reinforcing the top. I had mine originally setup on a desk and it flexed like crazy. Now I have a wooden bench from Harbor Freight that works great.
Good advice (reinforcing the top), for using a single stage press inasmuch as they sit on the edge of the table. I screwed a piece of 3/16 hot-rolled plate with a U-shape cut out for clearance while using an RCBS Jr. (single stage). However, on the same bench (left side), the Dillon 550b and its home-made strong mount does not need reinforcement inasmuch as its centerline sits further from the edge.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:51 AM   #18
F. Guffey

Then there are stands, I have 3 stands.

F. Guffey

Old July 30, 2013, 09:18 AM   #19
osirus82

nice setups, i found a sweet reloading table in loveland for 150 but its 10" to long for my spot. Im trying to find one of those old all steel desks and if there is any give- i have access to 1/4" steel and others like carbon/stainless ect, and sheers/ plasma/ oxy torches to cut up to any specs, so no worries if i buy and need to reinforce it, i still just might weld up my own, i have enough rectangle tube for a frame, but would have to go get a top from the scrap yard. soon enough pics will up.

late---- going to get some powder from sportsmans.
Old July 30, 2013, 09:51 AM   #20
boondocker385

The first bench I set up had a metal top. It was noisy when I dropped or set things down. I put a thick piece of vinyl on it which made it better. A friend saw it and wanted to buy it and since the money would pay for powder...... now I have a wooden bench that I made. And for you "eco-groovy" typed it is made from nearly 100% recycled materials ( a few new bolts is all).