The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 26, 2011, 12:53 PM   #51
Smokin_Gun

If ya put the ROA side by side with and 1861 Old Army Remington original...it's the closet patern to the ROA out there ... with some excellant changes made by Bill Rugers 1972 Production on his Ruger Old Army(ROA) 20th Century up grades...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 26, 2011, 10:57 PM   #52
Hawg

You can try and justify it's existence any way you want to. The ROA is always going to be a never was. Like it for what it is, a modern creation. Don't give it historical provenance where it has none.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:36 PM   #53
pohill

One thing about ROAs - they're all originals. They don't make replicas of ROAs.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:53 PM   #54
Hawg

Yep all the way back to 1972. What a history.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:23 AM   #55
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
Yep all the way back to 1972. What a history
Hehehehe....now you've dated yourself.

A significant portion of the world's population wasn't even born as of yet in 1972. To them, 1972 is ancient history.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:01 PM   #56
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman8351
ok so my other new to bp question is what is the old army styled after what is the frame consider ie1851 navy) and so on
The question was about "style".
It was styled to look just like a percussion Blackhawk.
That's why Bill Ruger named it the "Old Army" because it was such an "old" design compared to the "Remington New Model Army" and the "Colt 1860 Army".
It's the old, old, Old Army alright, the oldest of all of the Army revolvers!
It's like the American League of major league baseball having the designated hitter, the rules for which have been adapted to fit modern times.

Last edited by arcticap; May 27, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:36 PM   #57
Smokin_Gun

Hawg you still don't get it ... yur stuck in or on the concept of 19th Century Firearms and the Ruger that Bill made is a 20th Century original C&B .457" or Conversion .45Colt BP or Smokeless Rev...and it's probly the Best BP C&B or Smokeless .45Colt ever made ... histrorical value? It's very much a Historical valued American Made Revolver...more so I quess than you'll ever realize.
I get real tired of people puttin' good guns down, why do you do that...
This my friend is the main reason I don't frequent forums like the Firing line anymore.
Why can't you speak well of a Guns attributes instead of always tryin' to find fault or put them down.
The ROA I said was closest to lookin' like an 1861 Rem Old Army not that it was a replica of it, as the ROA is an original. I'll jus' go back to my Forums and enjoy my BP shooting and conversations with people that don't pitch a bitch about needless redereck...
Later folks...I'm a gone.
SG
Old May 27, 2011, 12:37 PM   #58
Hawg

Quote:
It was styled to look just like a percussion Blackhawk.
Because that's what it is. Nothing historical about it.

Quote:
Hehehehe....now you've dated yourself.
I was born in 56 what's your excuse?
Old May 27, 2011, 12:46 PM   #59
ClemBert

Quote:
I was born in 56 what's your excuse?
OMG, that there is prehistoric times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman8351
ok so my other new to bp question is what is the old army styled after what is the frame consider ie1851 navy) and so on
The ROA obviously is based upon the Ruger Blackhawk. The Ruger Blackhawk design was "inspired by" the Colt Peacemaker. "Old Army" is nothing more than a marketing name that is trademarked similar to "Blackhawk".
Old May 27, 2011, 12:58 PM   #60
Smokin_Gun

I'll find my pic of the 1861 Rem Old Army Next to the Rugers Old Army if need be as it is the Closest of any Revolvers that were made in the 19th Century.
The 20th Century ROA has some of the best features of at least three Revs I can think of. the R&S, Rems, & Colt. None of which were replicated parts ... hell it's a dang Original Ruger an ROA and that's about all there is to it other than a damn good Revolver...
That I can live with all the rest is well not much to do with an Original Ruger ... The Vacquero came out after the Ruger execs stopped makin' the ROA...so go figure.
I think I'll go shootin' instead a tryin' to make known the Historical value of one a Bill's best Revs made... see ya's
Old May 27, 2011, 02:59 PM   #61
pohill

I think most BP revolver shooters who are into history are not fans of the ROA at first - I know I never liked the looks of them, or their lack of historical value. I swore I'd never get one - then I did and I was hooked. On those days when I just feel like shooting a BP revolver and not dealing with any particular problems I grab my ROA and head to the range (especially on a cold day - the larger chambers make for easier loading). The adjustable sights are a plus but I usually don't adjust them - I just change my point of aim. I like to alternate my guns, and the ROA has definitely earned its place in the lineup. They're not for everyone and it might not be my favorite, but I'm glad I have it.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:46 PM   #62
Legionnaire

Quote:
so does anyone know if u can legally hunt with this gun? and what kinda season it would fall into?
You asked specifically about NY. I trust you are aware that NY has some screwy laws pertaining to black powder handguns. Unless they liberalized the law in the last seven years, they are legal to own without a permit ... as long as you don't also posses powder and ball. The instant you possess gun, powder, and ball together, NY classifies the combination as a "firearm" (read that "handgun requiring a permit") and you have to have it listed on you permit ... which I trust you have.

If possessed legally, gun is legal to hunt with during gun season in both rifle and shotgun-only areas. Don't know about muzzleloading season. Maybe TFL regular Peetzakilla can answer that. But the DEC has a very informative website. Check that out. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html

Oh, and you got a steal on you ROA. I paid $400 for my 1994 manufacture stainless specimen.

Last edited by Legionnaire; May 28, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:22 PM   #63
Legionnaire

Okay, found it. From the DEC website at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

Quote:
The legal firearm for this season is a muzzleloading rifle or pistol (including smoothbore muzzleloaders) loaded through the muzzle, shooting a single projectile and having a bore of .44 inches or larger. Double-barreled muzzleloaders and percussion cap revolvers are not legal during the special muzzleloading season. If you hunt with a single-shot muzzleloading pistol, you must have a New York State Pistol License.
There's your answer. Can't use a cap'n ball revolver during the special muzzleloading season, and a pistol license is required even for a single shot muzzleloading pistol.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:28 PM   #64
Hawg

Quote:
I get real tired of people puttin' good guns down, why do you do that...

I'm not puttin it down. I'll be the first to say they're good quality guns. What gripes my butt is people that try to compare them to guns that were around back in the day and say they look like this or resemble that. They don't. Well maybe if you're far enough away and squint into the sun they might.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:17 AM   #65
Smokin_Gun

Ok tell me there's no simularities between the ROA and the 1861 Rem Old Army ... Simular is the word I used ... I don't claim to remember what anyone else says ... there is a reason Bill Ruger called it the Old Army yaq know. And it is historical as they are not in production anymore and they are highly collectable to some collectors...so it is in fact a part of Revolver History. Do you disagree with that statement also?

All I'm sayin' Hawg is that the Ruger Old Army looks more like an 1861 Rem Old Army than it does a Rodgers & Spencer or a Colt ... everything that evolves comes from somewhere ... and my eyes tell me that the Size, Frame, weight, and look are more like a Remington 1861 Old Army than any other C&B Rev out there... so as you can see it bugs me just as much as it does you only 180 degrees differant ;O)

Y'all be the Judges ... make this reply a Poll...ifin ya want..
Thanks,
SG

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; May 28, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:51 AM   #66
Hawg

They're a part of recent revolver history. I see no more than a vague resemblance in part of the frame. Like I said if you're far enough away and squint into the sun maybe. They have no place in the part of history I'm interested in.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:22 AM   #67
Smokin_Gun

I'm so sorry Hawg I din't mean to blemish yur part of History or your Interest in it Heh Heh ... I'm talkin' about History of Revlovers not your specific interest in Revolver History ... I din't mean to crinkle yur boots ... I'll drop the topic then as I can see you view much closer than I do as I have 20/30 vision anyway and it comes in handy when it views History
See ya round Pard...
Old May 28, 2011, 05:24 AM   #68
Hawg

You didn't krinkle my boots. Just exasperated me a mite.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:54 AM   #69
CharlesK80

Similarity, like beauty, is in the eye of...well, you know the rest. The ROA is an original, but is more similar to the Remington OA than any other CB.

But so what?

My Corvette is not a Ferrari, but is more similar to it than your SUV or F150.

All are grocery getters.
Old May 28, 2011, 09:47 AM   #70
ClemBert

Quote:
I'm not puttin it down. I'll be the first to say they're good quality guns. What gripes my butt is people that try to compare them to guns that were around back in the day and say they look like this or resemble that. They don't. Well maybe if you're far enough away and squint into the sun they might.
I'm on the same boat. It's just silly for folks to compare the ROA to the 19th century BP revolvers. The ROA isn't based on any of them. It is a unique and original design just like the 19th century BP revolvers were. It was designed from and for the 20th century for purposes other than use as a warfare weapon. The 19th century BP revolvers have their historical part in war and the taming of the west whereas the ROA does not share this type of history.

Again, it's just silly for anyone to imply that the ROA is somehow a poor and inaccurate copy of the 1858 or other 19th century BP revolver.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:37 AM   #71
junebug_01

Well Clembert, then I think 80% of C&B shooters are silly.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:59 AM   #72
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug_01
Well Clembert, then I think 80% of C&B shooters are silly.
Depending on your reasons I could see how how you would feel that way. Care to elaborate?
Old May 28, 2011, 01:29 PM   #73
Hawg

Kinda curious meownself.
Old May 28, 2011, 02:51 PM   #74
junebug_01

The Ruger Old Army is not a poor or inaccurate copy of any 19th century revolver. It is a 20 th century interpretation of a C&B revolver using 20th century technology. Bill Ruger used what he thought was the best features from some of the 19th century guns and blended them into the BEST C&B revolver that ever was. Now that they are out of production, whether you like it or not, they take their place in the history of C&B revolvers.
Old May 28, 2011, 03:11 PM   #75
arcticap

Last night a fellow said that his friend has a black powder revolver that he takes out to shoot every 20 years or so. So I asked his friend what kind is it?
And he said that it was a stainless steel Ruger Old Army with an adjustable sight in mint condition. So then I asked him if he was interested in selling it and he said, "No I won't ever sell that gun as long as I'm still alive!

I know another guy who used to have a Ruger Old Army that sold it years ago because he didn't shoot it much. And he's told me more than once, "I wish that I didn't sell that gun and still had it!"

Last edited by arcticap; May 28, 2011 at 03:35 PM.