The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 16, 2010, 03:07 PM   #1
bhw4235

model 7 predator

Has anyone had any problems with accuracy with the model 7 predator? Got one last week in 22-250, burris scope, burris rings,leupold bases, lapped rings,torqued all screws, cleaned barrel before i fired it. Shot 55gr. win bst.,hornady v-max moly, remington accubond. Best group shot around 5" 3 shot groups at 100 yds. worst around 10". With the groups getting alot worse after the second shot. Anyone else have any problems?
Old May 16, 2010, 09:18 PM   #2
triggerman770

torgued screws

how many in/lbs did you torque it to?
www.georgiacarry.org
Old May 16, 2010, 09:28 PM   #3
williamd

WOW!!! Something basically very wrong! Are groups walking, random, .... Sounds like weird pressure point.

Let us know.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:36 AM   #4
bhw4235

25 in/lbs, Yes very random, sometimes 2 will be touching and the oyher 3 will be a half in apart but 6" apart from the first two. Other times they will just be scattered around the target at random. Also sometimes they will string more vertical and sometimes horizontal. I'm sure there is some shooter error but i have shot for a long time and i am shooting off a lead sled rest everything being pretty steady.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:24 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Didn't get over zealous lapping the rings did you ? Take a silver Sharpie and put a line on the scope in front of and behind one ring , right next to it . Fire a few more times and see if the scope moves . A little solvent wipe will remove the Sharpie !
Old May 17, 2010, 08:41 PM   #6
williamd

Quote:
Didn't get over zealous lapping the rings did you ?
oneoldsap may be onto something as the slightest scope movement could do what you describe. If the scope does not move fore-aft I'd be tempted to change rings an try it.

Double check scope mounting and action screws.

Assume bbl crown has been carefully inspected?
Old May 18, 2010, 08:30 AM   #7
bhw4235

I will double check everything again. I don't think i got caried away lapping the rings b/c there is still a gap the width of a dime on both sides front and back, between the top and bottom of the ring halves. That would be the only way you could lap them to much is for the two halves to be touching right? Also I will look a little closer at the crown.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:20 AM   #8
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
So did you find the problem ?
Old May 20, 2010, 03:47 PM   #9
bhw4235

No, i have looked at everything i can think of again. I thought mabe it had too much free bore so i loaded some bullets out as far as i could and tryed differant gr's of powder, it shot best with 36gr of varget with a overall length of 2.150 ogive, but the best group was still 1.92" and they were stringing up and down in a almost perfect line about a half inch apart. Which is alot better but still not right.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:44 PM   #10
tkofoid

Many years ago I had a new 700 rem that did goofy things like your gun.

After a long frustating time, I found that the front lug bolt would not screw into the receiver to provide a good and snug fit. The gun was jumping around inside the stock. It's a shot in the dark,but worth while looking into. I have never heard of a model 7 that didn't perform. Lastly, I cannot relate to your charge of 36 grains of varget. If possible load-er-up some more or try a different powder. I'm convinced it is a simple fix,,,just gotta find the problem.
Old May 21, 2010, 07:45 AM   #11
bhw4235

I'm taking it to have it glass & pillar bedded today, the smith said i would take him a couple of weeks to get it done, because he was behind on some things. I was going to do it myself as i have done it before, some time ago ,but this guy said he would do both for $60, can't really beat that if he does a good job. If not it will be a fairly cheap lesson learned.