The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2000, 01:27 PM   #1
Ldoll

I was at the rifle range today and after about 15 rounds the rifle stopped ejecting but would extract. I took the bolt out and noticed that brass flakes from the head of the cartridges plugged up the ejector. I wiped it off and sprayed some oil on it and pressed it with a drift punch. Didn't fail after that. Should I take it to a gunsmith? The rifle only has 100 rounds through it, so could it be possible it is not broken in yet? Thanks for the advice.

------------------

L.D.
Old March 14, 2000, 09:35 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Ldoll, you probably have a burr on the ejector or in it's path. It may or may not fix itself. I'd see how it goes but if it's still acting up after another 100 rounds I'd have it polished out. George
Old March 15, 2000, 09:47 AM   #3
gunmart

go to the rifle forum and ck with mad dog on the modle70 verses rem 700 page.i think he needs to know about this one.
Old March 15, 2000, 11:14 AM   #4
MAD DOG

Tell us which model Winchester it is (lever, bolt, what?), and whether it is a "Classic" or a pushfeed type if it is a bolt gun.
The model 70 Classic has a claw extractor, and the post '64 type mdl 70 pushfeed has a pin type ejector in the bolt face like the Remington 700.

It sounds like a pushfeed type if I read your post correctly.

[This message has been edited by MAD DOG (edited March 15, 2000).]
Old March 15, 2000, 01:23 PM   #5
Ldoll

I should have explained better in my last post, but I was busy. It's a Win. M70 Heavy Varmint with a push feed bolt. I love this gun and is pretty accurate for a factory gun. Thanks for the replies.

------------------

L.D.
Old March 15, 2000, 01:25 PM   #6
Ldoll

The rifle is a M70 heavy varmint with a push feed bolt.

------------------

L.D.
Old March 15, 2000, 03:54 PM   #7
MAD DOG

Sir,
I would suggest stripping the bolt, and checking the ejector and the hole it travels in for burrs and other irregularities.
Look to see if the end of it appears to be mushroomed or deformed. (That is a bad thing)
Check the spring to be sure it is traveling properly, and is not broken or deformed.
If you are not capable of doing that yourself, take it to a GOOD gunsmith, and have him go through it.

The plunger type ejectors common to the post '64 (pushfeed) Winchesters and Remington 700 type weapons are prone to problems like you are experiencing, and are sometimes either too soft or have other poor finish features that can cause malfunctions. Ice, grit, powder fouling and brass shavings can all cause malfunctions in these ejector types.
They can get into the channel that the plunger travels in, and bind it up.
While you are at it, check the bolt face and extractor for burrs, dirt, grit, machined chips that were left in by mistake, etc.
These can cause the rapid accumulation of undesirable crud in that area.

Also, if the ammo cartridge was a particularly soft brass alloy, this could cause problems due to the brass deforming into the ejector and shaving off.

Good luck.