The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Jerry45

Are your bullets packaged well enough?

Last month we had a discussion about someones bullies spilling in transit because they were not packaged well enough. Let me tell you how bullets should be packed. This isn't the first time I have received bullets from Midsouth Shooters and I can tell you they KNOW HOW to package bullets. Two 100 round boxes of Sierra GKs were wrapped, I mean really rapped in silver foil backed paper and "JAMMED TIGHT" in the box which was completely and very neatly "TOTALLY SEALED" with paper packing tape. They rapped the whole box. I truly believe the shipper could have played Soccer with it. OK, maybe not. But they take their bullet packaging seriously.
Old July 31, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

I usually try to send boxed bullets wrapped in packing tape from all sides. then secured to a piece of cardboard just big enough to fit inside the shipping box after being vacuum sealed.

Loose bullets work this way as well, just spread them out on a couple of pieces of heavy cardboard, and vacuum seal them. They usually don't go anywhere.

In most cases if it can't move it isn't going to. Of course how you secure it depends on just what your shipping as well. I have received some VERY creative shipments of lead ingots.
Old July 31, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Hammerhead

My last batch of bullets arrived intact, unfortunately the powder measure reservoir I ordered along with them was smashed to bits by the bullet box while in transit.
Old July 31, 2013, 02:07 PM   #4
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead
My last batch of bullets arrived intact, unfortunately the powder measure reservoir I ordered along with them was smashed to bits by the bullet box while in transit.
Old July 31, 2013, 06:50 PM   #5
SonOfGun

Most of my bullets are press fit in brass cases.
Old July 31, 2013, 07:55 PM   #6
spacecoast

Quote:
Note to self - buy bullets separate from fragile accessories.
Old August 1, 2013, 01:35 AM   #7
Hammerhead

Quote:
Most of my bullets are press fit in brass cases.
That's some pretty expensive packaging, isn't it?
Saves time at the press I suppose.
Old August 1, 2013, 08:29 AM   #8
jmorris

Quote:
Packaged well enough
Reminds me of the old Samsonite commercial with the gorilla banging it around...all of the packaging that I have seen would have held up just fine if it were not for an employe that didn't like working with heavy packages.

I guess there are also folks out there that could ruin an anvil with a rubber mallet but I bet most of the damage is done either out of frustration or is directly intended.