The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Reloading for 6mm remington

I'm new at reloading and I'm looking for some varmint loads for 6mm Remington.

My dad used to reload several years ago for a 6mm Rem 700 VS that he has since handed down to me. He also gave me some ammo sealed in plastic bags that he loaded for it and never got around to shooting. I've been mostly using it as a deer rifle with 100 gr factory loads and it has done quite well, but with my growing selection of deer rifles in my gun safe, I still have a void for a dedicated varmint rifle. A little over 100 rounds of the ammo he gave me is Sierra 60 gr HP over 40.5 grains of H335 w/CCI primers in Winchester brass.

My first question is whats a ballpark velocity that I could expect out of this load? (I dont yet own a chronometer)

Secondly, dad has been out of the reloading scene for about 15 years now, and though this was surely a good varmint load then, I'm wondering what advances in bullet and powder technology have come along since then that I should try with my own loads. Are there some better "up to date" varmint loads for 6mm?
Old July 29, 2013, 02:36 PM   #2
CountryUgly

The 6mm Rem is one of my favorites. The 65gr Hornady v-max is a fine accurate choice for a varmint bullet. Also there is data available for 6mm for the new Superformance powder. I'm sure the combination of the 2 will make a fine varmint round.
Old July 29, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Rangefinder

6mm remington is my BABY---love that cartridge! I don't show any hard data for that powder/bullet combo, but I'd give it an educated guess at about 3650fps if not a touch over. Absolutely screaming. I did the whole velocity push a long time ago and got 55gr. ballistic tips up to a scorching 4200fps, but accuracy opened WAY up and loads that hot burn out a barrel fast. My go-to is Sierra 90gr FMJ/BT over H380 driving right about 3000fps. Those keep me on-mark at 1000-yard ranges, but definitely not meant to be used for hunting anything more than paper or P-dogs.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old July 29, 2013, 06:16 PM   #4
old roper

I've shot bother 6Rem and 6RemAI and their always was more loading data for the 243 which I've shot since 1965.

I know some that used 243 data for the 6Rem. there is a load for the 243 starting 35gr/H-335 with 60gr Sierra HP bullet @ 3445fps and max 39gr/H-335 @ 3717fps.

In the 6Rem I've shot H-4895 been pretty good powder also used it in the 6RemAI. Lightest bullet I shot in the 6Rem was 68gr Berger used it for PD in the 6RemAI I shot a Nosler 95gr Partiton for antelope.

I guess today big question is what bullets and powder do you have or can get for the 6Rem? I like the extruded power.

Well good luck
NRA Life Member
Old July 31, 2013, 09:45 AM   #5
dahermit

Had a Browning B-78 in 6MM Remington. It liked, REALLY liked, an 87 grain Hornady, over a charge of IMR-4350. It was the most accurate rifle and load that I have ever shot.
Old July 31, 2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Light and fast is the answer for varmints...

6mm Remington, 22" Ruger M77, 55gr Nosler LF, 4,050fps, real and chronied speed.

Your load doesn't sound very good...

QuickLoad says that 40.5gr H335 in a 6mm Rem under a 60gr Sierra is only about 76% case fill. It's less than a starting load, for sure, but H335 isn't good for that application anyway. It thinks a max load is only about 86.6% case fill.

At 40.5gr, you'd be looking at between 3,390 and 3,567 and 3,485 with QL's default burn rate.
Old July 31, 2013, 05:02 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
Light and fast is the answer for varmints...
But, you still have to hit them...shouldn't accurate be in there someplace? We have, here in Michigan the Chipmunk and the Thirteen-stripped Ground Squirrel, both of diminutive size...they are "varmints", too...not to mention Ground Hogs in the soybeans with only their heads showing.
Old July 31, 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Accurate is assumed and it's rather subjective, anyway. My fastest loads, including the one in 6mm, shoot under 1 MOA at 100 reliably. Most shoot around or under 1 MOA at 3 or 400.