The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Hundy

Reloading for my first AR

I just bought my first AR, dont know if I will buy another whole one. But may try to make one in the future.
I have been reloading for awhile, not 5.56mm. I was told by a co-worker that the primers in 5.56mm require a extra tool in addition to the dies to remove the primer. I have never heard of that. I know some ammo has berdan primers, I know what those are, and I dont attempt to reload those. Anyone have any knowledge any special methods when removing the primers form 5.56mm. I was thinking maybe he was thinking of military grade type ammo, but I am not sure.

Thanks

Jay
Old July 30, 2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Once Fired

He's talking about a swage for military crimped primers in the brass. If you buy commercial, you won't need it. If you buy military once fired, you will have to remove the crimp from the primer pocket before you can re-seat a new one.

OnceFired

EDIT: Forgot to give you a price. The Dillon super swage tool is roughly $100 and can be seen in action at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGzKShy2tYk

You can use other tools, to be sure. Anything that will ream out the crimp is what you're looking for. Others here can direct you to what tools they use.

OF

Last edited by Once Fired; July 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3
SVTCobra306

Most military surplus ammo and some Hornady .223 have crimped-in primers. You have to have either a primer swaging tool or a crimp trimmer to remove the leftover crimp before you can seat a new primer. The swaging tool is preferred, but costs significantly more than a trim tool. I trim mine.

In addition, you don't HAVE to have a special tool to decap them, but I like to use my Lyman universal decapping tool on them, it has a nice beefy decapping rod so I don't have to worry as much about snapping a decapping pin or farting with a zip spindle, they are noticeably harder to push out.

I sort mine off, if it says WCC, LC, Hornady, or an offshore or unknown manufacturer (tulammo, PPU, etc) I look very hard for a Berdan primer, and if it's boxer primed I assume it's crimped. Someday when I have nothing else to do I'll sit down and trim out all those primer pockets. That day might also be after I run very low on non crimped .223 brass LOL.

Winchester (not WCC), and R-P .223 brass doesn't normally have a crimped primer. F-C can go either way, the last case of green tips I got has some F-C brass with crimped primers. After you see a few and decap a few you'll be able to tell the difference most of the time.
Old July 31, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4
rebs

I use the RCBS swagging tool in my press, its fast and easy. It is also a very good idea to sort your cases by head stamp as some brands will require a little different setting with the swagger to avoid bending the rod. I bought a rod off ebay that is guaranteed not to bend and it works great.
Old July 31, 2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Hundy

Thank you, one more question

First, thank you for the replies and help. That answered my question and I understand what my co-worker was trying to explain.
I will research the tools mentioned prior.
One last question on the subject.
Does anyone know if the ammo I have purchased does or does not have crimped in primers.
I have American Eagle 55grain, PMC X-Tac 62grain green tip LAP, and Independence 55 grain FMJBT (boxer Primed).
Now I have looked at the American eagle, the primer looks like its seated normal, like any other primer I have reloaded.
I don't have the Independence yet, its on order, but it was listed as "boxer Primed", I am not a 100% sure what that is, but I think its how the primer is made, not loaded into the casing.
I looked at the PMC X-tac and they look as if there is a small ring around the primer. I think that is what crimped in looks like or is?

Thanks again

Jay
Old July 31, 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
SVTCobra306

The PMC X-Tac probably has a crimped in primer.

Boxer primed means it has a Boxer primer in it rather than a Berdan primer. Boxer is the type of primer, it's either Boxer primed or Berdan primed. Boxer primed is the US standard and it's what 99 percent of us reload.