The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Ironworker

No Crimping groove !

We all know Its so tough to get bullets these days . I just acquired a X Frame S&W 460. I found some Hornady 200gr XTP bullet one box on the shelf. Picture on Box showed a crimping groove ? But there isn't one on the bullets !!!! I'm wondering if I can either seat bullet deep and crimp on the radius of the bullet ? or just try and crimp with out distorting the case ?
Old July 29, 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
idek

someone here probably can/will answer the question, but the reloading section might get more/faster answers.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Old July 29, 2013, 10:01 PM   #3
mmb713

The 200gr XTP is designed for the 45 Auto, therefore no cannelure. You could taper crimp them with a 45 Auto crimp die. There will be no data for this bullet using 460 S&W or 454 Casull cases. This bullet cannot withstand those kinds of pressures and could potentially ruin your gun if fired at those pressures. You may be able to find data using 45 Colt cases but you will want to keep velocities fairly mild. For full power 460 S&W loads you will need bullets designed for its pressures and velocities. Lighter constructed 45 caliber bullets designed for the 45 Auto and 45 Colt can obdurate in the forcing cone and potentially split the barrel. 454 Casull and 460 S&W are two cartridges I wouldn't substitute bullets around with, you are just asking for trouble. I would use only bullets listed with published data. At the pressures they operate at there is no margin for error.
Old July 29, 2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Ironworker

Yes

I'm sure your correct and I will return them tomorrow. Thanks for explanation
Old July 30, 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:
I'm sure your correct and I will return them tomorrow.
Good luck. I have yet to find anyplace that will let you return reloading components, and even tho I'm good friends with the owner of the LGS where I get most of my supplies, I make sure I got the right stuff before I leave. Standard policy of the big box stores like Cabela's/Bass Pro/Gander Mountain is no returns on ammo or reloading components. Hornady has a seal on their boxes, if that seal is broken, you'll probably have even a harder time. 7 years ago when I first got my .460, I too was excited to roll my own for it. Bought two boxes of 250 gr 45 cal XTPs before I realized they too were only good for .45 Colt velocities. They worked for reduced loads at paper, but basically they weren't worth the time or powder to put them downrange.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Ironworker

Luck ( If there is such a thing ) was on my side

I walked into Sportsmen's where house in Reno and said " Look box has a picture of a Bullet with a crimping groove,but there is none on Bullets in the box" I asked "Can i exchange these ? " She said "Yes" so now I have 200gr FTX .452 with crimping groove. So I'm loading them up and will be shooting them soon. Thanks every one for posting on my thread .