The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Steven57

Hornady XTP 300gr (not Mag)

Lee's reloading manual 2nd Edition shows loading for the XTP in 454 Casull and S&W 460. Called Hornady and they said use Mag, NOT regular XTP. Hornady's manual reflects that. Called Lee and they said they get their load data from the powder manufacturers.

Can't find any good info to settle once and for all.

Has anyone loaded XTP 300gr at Casull or 460 loadings and have good results?
Old July 29, 2013, 09:13 AM   #2
buck460XVR

The standard 300gr XTP is designed for .45 Colt velocities and pressures. Use them in the .460 and .454 within those parameters and you have no problems. Once you start loading either of those to their potential tho, the thin jackets on the standard 300gr XTPs will promote excessive forcing cone erosion and will have poor terminal performance. There's a reason they make both. Same is true for many of the other .45 caliber bullets out there. Most are intended for the .45 Colt. All of Speers, with the exception of their 300gr Deep Curls are inappropriate for .454 and .460 at thier legitimate pressures and velocities. For reduced recoil plinker loads they are fine. If you have doubts, e-mail or call the bullet manufacturer as you did for the Hornadys.
Old July 29, 2013, 10:11 PM   #3
mmb713

Loaded to Casull and 460 pressures those bullets could potentially ruin your revolver. You could load them up in 45 Colt cases using Ruger-only data but that is the safest top speeds you are going to get. For the 454 Casull and 460 S&W only use bullets listed in published data. Never substitute a lighter constructed bullet, they cannot handle the pressures.
Old July 30, 2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

Steven57,

this was exactly what I found out several years ago when I got my 454. In fact it is the main reason I started to cast my own bullets for it as well.

What I found is that there are only a couple of bullets actually made to handle these pressures, and the ones that are, are expensive and only packaged usually 50 to a box.

I got lucky and found some 260gr mag JHP blems at Lock Stock and Barrel before they closed up, and still have quite a few of those. I also purchased several boxes of Cast Performance cast bullets as well, and have to say they do a great job. I simply got tired of paying $30 per 100 plus the added shipping, so I headed down the road to DIY and have been happily supplied every since.

If you want to consider pouring your own I can say that the Lee 452-300RF is a great bullet for the 454. It is the main one I hunt with. It is accurate and hits hard out further than most have any business shooting. If you simply want to purchase yours, look up Cast Performance and give them a try, they are great also.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:34 AM   #5
TMD

The XTP mag bullets have a diameter of .452 instead of .451. Also the jacket is thicker to withstand the pressures and velocities of the .454 and .460.
I shot several hundred of the 300gr XTP mags in my .460 loaded to the max (44gr of Lil'Gun) and have never had a problem with them.