The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 9, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1
warbirdlover

I'm Hooked

SIL took me out to shoot his CVA Accura .50 cal stainless black powder rifle this morning. He uses the Powerbelt bullets and 100 gr. of Blackhorn 209 powder. I couldn't believe the groups this thing could shoot.

I'm going to get the CVA camo stock "Wolf" with the cheapo scope to start out. I'm hoping this will do the job for now.

This would let me hunt in all the special blackpowder hunts around the state and not just during the one week of rifle season. I could also use it to hunt in the shotgun only counties.

Opinions please...

Last edited by warbirdlover; November 9, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

After consultation the doctors are in agreement....

...His wallet is definitely going to have to come out.

Welcome to the asylum.
Old November 9, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
warbirdlover

Yup. I looked at the "Wolf" today. Piece of junk. I can get the CVA "Optima" for almost the same price and it's alot nicer.
Old November 10, 2012, 11:58 AM   #4
shortwave

Can't give you any advice on the CVA Wolf,don't own one. But the Optima is a decent inline. As far as shooting the Powerbelt's, I have two CVA's and a Remington 700 inline the shoots them well. A Knight that does just okay with them and the T/C Encore doesn't shoot them well at all.
Used to have the Accura and gave it to my brother. Liked it very well.

Shooting the Powerbelts since before they became Powerbelts(they were once called 'Blackbelts' by Big Bore Express out of Idaho ), I will say if you get to using a powder measure of much north of 110grns. the accuracy tends to start failing rather quickly. To many fliers. Stay around 90-100grns. and if your rifle will shoot the PB's, you'll be happy.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:31 AM   #5
warbirdlover

SIL says the pellets don't work well with the Powerbelts either and it really fouls up the barrel fast. Those big .50 holes were all touching each other on the target at 100 yards. I'd say that's pretty good.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:08 AM   #6
shortwave

FWIW,

Just don't care for pellets.

I've found that all three of my rifle's that shoot the PB's like 90grns. loose powder or 75grns. Triple Seven. My choice of hunting load is the 250grn. PB bullet with 90grns. American Pioneer Powder(APP). APP burns fairly clean.

I've not tried the Blackhorn 209 powder but have read nothing but positive things about it(except it's price )... and understand it requires a hotter primer compared to some of the other powders.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:17 AM   #7
warbirdlover

SIL used 100 gr of the Blackhorn powder and the 295 gr. copper aerotip PB bullet with a Winchester blackpowder 209 primer.

And the stainless CVA Optima .50 is on sale at Fleet Farm for $205!!

And one question. Can black powder rifles be shipped directly to you or do they have to go through someone with a FFL?

Last edited by warbirdlover; November 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:13 AM   #8
warbirdlover

I guess a black powder rifle can be shipped right to your door.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:08 PM   #9
mykeal

Quote:
Can black powder rifles be shipped directly to you
Yes.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Doyle

While some shooters get good results with Powerbelts, I've seen many more that can't get them to groop worth a crap. Don't be afraid to experiment with other brands. My personal favorite is the 250grn Hornady SST (which also happens to have a much higher BC than most other ML bullets so it's flatter shooting). It is the same bullet as the TC Shockwave (which is made by Hornady) but uses a different color tip and sells for less money.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:33 PM   #11
shortwave

Your right about trying the Hornady SST's Doyle.

The Knight I said, "did just okay" with the PB's shoots the SST's very well as does the Encore.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:05 PM   #12
alienbogey

<<SIL took me out to shoot his CVA Accura .50 cal stainless black powder rifle this morning. He uses the Powerbelt bullets and 100 gr. of Blackhorn 209 powder. I couldn't believe the groups this thing could shoot.

I'm going to get the CVA camo stock "Wolf" with the cheapo scope to start out. I'm hoping this will do the job for now.

This would let me hunt in all the special blackpowder hunts around the state and not just during the one week of rifle season. I could also use it to hunt in the shotgun only counties.

Opinions please...>>

Since you asked for opinions:

For special blackpowder only seasons there should be

• No scopes
• No inlines
• No 209 primers
• No non-loose powder
• No lasers
• No plastic stocks
• etc

You want to hunt in a primitive-equipment season you should use primitive equipment.

Now, before anyone gets too upset, he DID ask for opinions and that's mine.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:46 PM   #13
Beagle333

deleted

not important.

Last edited by Beagle333; November 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:24 PM   #14
mykeal

What's an 'etc'? Don't believe I've ever used one of those.

Primitive only? Like stone axes primitive?
Old November 19, 2012, 06:51 PM   #15
shortwave

Quote:
What's an 'etc'? Don't believe I've ever used one of those.

Primitive only? Like stone axes primitive?
Maybe the 'etc'. means the car/truck we drive back and forth to our hunting location ???

Maybe primitive should be using long bows/arrows and spears made by the individual hunter out of the best hickory or wood native to his/her surrounding tipped with granite arrow heads or bone from other animals trapped in a homemade snare ?...

...or should we be allowed to use actual b/p long guns and do these have to be match lock, flint lock or side locks shooting nothing but round ball we cast ourselves out of our homemade molds?

Quote:
You want to hunt in a primitive-equipment season you should use primitive equipment.
Then we have the clothing problem as well as the rest of our hunting equipment such as gutting/skinning knives or even a flashlight to aid in tracking that monster deer shot just before sunset that didn't fall where you shot it. Even with the Indian blood coursing through my veins, homemade torch's would seem a bit dim to follow a blood trail with my fading eyes.

Surely primitive would consist of buckskin and moccasin's we made ourselves along with our knives that we would have to make...maybe out of bone?
And we better never get caught taking our game to a processor. That would never be primitive.

Last edited by shortwave; November 19, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:36 PM   #16
warbirdlover

Now the proud owner of a CVA stainless Optima with camo stock. Put my Nikon ProStaff BDC on it. Now for the 10 day muzzleloader season starting Monday. Will wait to sight in and let the deer settle down after rifle season.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:38 AM   #17
shortwave

Congratulations on a fine setup.

In case you didn't know...Make sure to click onto Nikon's 'Spot On Ballistic Site' and take advantage of their help in zeroing your rifle/scope combo.
It's kinda neat to be able to plug your gun and load data into their program and it tells you (very close to) where your different reticles will hit with that load.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:17 AM   #18
warbirdlover

I used that Nikon BDC data for my .300 Win Mag Ruger and it works perfectly! I hadn't thought of using it on a black powder due to the limited range but I'll see what they say.
Old November 26, 2012, 01:52 PM   #19
shortwave

Works the same.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:01 AM   #20
warbirdlover

Just checked it out and you're right. Cool.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:46 AM   #21
warbirdlover

Here's some pics of my new pride and joy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cva1small.jpg (91.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg cva2small.jpg (105.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg cva4xmall.jpg (102.1 KB, 91 views)
Old November 27, 2012, 11:58 AM   #22
shortwave

A setup to be proud of.

I'm sure it will shoot as good as it looks.
Old November 28, 2012, 06:51 PM   #23
warbirdlover

Had to go exchange the PowerBelt 295 gr Aerotips I bought for 245 gr. SIL uses the 245. Both have green tips so got confused. So his load is 100 gr. BlackHorn 209 powder, Powerbelt 245 aerotip and Winchester 209 primer.

Close to 2000 fps in the ballistic tables and sighting for zero at 140 yards (3.16" high at 100) the BDC Nikon has holds for out to 200 yards +.

I've read some bad reviews for the Pyrodex, Pyrodex pellets, WhiteHot pellets and Shockey powders in regard to really burning dirty. Anyone with some experience using these have any comments?

Last edited by warbirdlover; November 29, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:22 AM   #24
shortwave

Have used both Pyrodex and Shockeys Gold and to tell you the truth, can't see any difference between them other then the price.

Far as burning clean, IMO, from dirtiest to cleanest, the list would be:

1. Triple 7

2. Pyrodex and Shockey's

3. American Pioneer

I've not used the WhiteHots. Too, I'm wanting to use the Blackhorn as well and see how it cleans up compared to the AP.

Quote:
Close to 2000 fps in the ballistic tables and sighting for zero at 140 yards (3.16" high at 100) the BDC Nikon has holds for out to 200 yards +.
For the area I hunt, 140yd zero would be very long. Most shots here are from 50-75yds. So my zero is 75.

Last edited by shortwave; November 29, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:13 PM   #25
warbirdlover

Rifle is all sighted in (this morning) and ready to go. We cleaned it good afterward. 3" high at 100 is supposed to put me on at 140. Fun to shoot!

Will be hunting this Sunday-Wednesday so wish me luck.