The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 1999, 10:41 PM   #1
sjones

can I safely pull bullets from a fully loaded round with an impact puller or should I just junk the whole round? thanks sj
Old July 29, 1999, 03:20 AM   #2
Cheapo

I do it all the time, for short-quantity runs. The risk of the primer firing and a splitting case spitting fairly low velocity particles is most minimal.

After all, ammo survives feeding into full-auto guns all the time without primers popping from all the acceleration and rapid stops!

Despite all of the above, you *must* wear eye protection. Think seat belts.
Old July 29, 1999, 09:19 PM   #3
GreybeardB

Sjones, don't waste the components, go ahead & slam the hammer. Ive beem pulling bullets with the green hammer for 20 years with no problems....except for the loose nut on the operating handle.

------------------
Ralph in In.

Old July 30, 1999, 06:41 PM   #4
flatlander

I've seen two separate articles in two different gun magazines about inertia pullers exploding. There were pictures with both articles, and the remains of the pullers didn't look very good to me. Lots of little pieces, jagged ones at that. So when I make a boo-boo, I make darn sure I put on a pair of safety glasses before picking up the puller. You may pull a bzillion bullets without ever having an accident, or the very next one may have your number on it - it just doesn't pay to take chances with your eyesight.
Old July 30, 1999, 09:34 PM   #5
HankL

Uh guys, Im the one with the oldtimers. First thing to do is study all your data, make a starting load, test it and work up. Write down and catalog all of your own data and make notations of odd results!

Please keep good records of what you are doing. Your data is the only data that really applies to your particular situation!

Hank
In other words, don't make cartridges that need pulling!

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited July 30, 1999).]
Old July 31, 1999, 10:36 AM   #6
nwgunman

I've pulled my share of boo-boos using the ineria hammer type pullers. It's always made me a little hinky...shrapnel is such a bummer. But not a single problem to date. I wear eyes and ears when I'm pulling and usually long sleeve jacket and gloves...I've got enough scars as it is.
Old July 31, 1999, 07:54 PM   #7
sjones

thanks to all for the advice. I found out that you all were right. I did several bullets today and no problems at all. sj