The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 26, 2002, 06:04 PM   #1
kahrma

1892 Winchester history

Hello, I am new here but I thought someone might be able to help me.
I have an 1892 Winchester rifle in 25-20 cal. I was looking for any info that you might be willing to share with me on it's history. The serial# is: 777289 and there is another # on the side of the receiver: 23685. It has a 24" octagonal barrel with a full length magazine tube and a hooded front sight. Also the initials "M.H.A." are on the receiver and the lower tang.

Any information on this gun or where I might find some information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Kevin Griggs.
Old June 26, 2002, 06:19 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Winchester '92 SN 777289 was made in early 1915.

I don't know what the other number or letters signify. If it were a larger caliber, it might be a L.E. agency and property number, but I don't think I'd want to sheriff with a .25-20.

How are they applied - stamped or hand engraved? Might be a previous owner's initials and driver's licence number.

A **hooded** front sight? What sort?
Old June 26, 2002, 09:16 PM   #3
kahrma

All the numbers and initials were stamped not etched or engraved. The front site looks like it is original. It is a flip up thin hood with a narrow post inside. When you flip it down it is a smaller and lower post that is still a sight. The hood is only about 1/8-1/4" wide.

What whould a number on the side denote? A co-worker of mine who thinks he is a gun expert said it might be a gun issued to some sort of government agency like a forest ranger. Does that have any possibility?

Half the fun of these old guns is the history. I just wish there was more centralization of info on the net.
Old June 27, 2002, 03:53 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Kahrma

The 1892 was an updated successor to the Model 1873, using a scaled down version of the model 1886 action. The rifle was chambered for the popular smaller cartridges of the day, namely the 25-20, 32-20, 38-40, 44-40 and the rare 218Bee. The rifle was available in several different configurations. From your description, your rifle falls into two catagories.

Sporting Rifle
Solid frame or takedown, 24" round, octagone or half octoagon bbl with 1/2, 1/3 or full length magazine. Plain straight grip walnut stock with capped forearm.

Fancy Sporting Rifle. Same as above except has chedkered walnut pistol grip stock with checkered capped forearm.

The Model 1892 was built between 1892 and 1932 with slightly more than 1 million being sold. The Carbine was built until 1942

HJN
Old June 27, 2002, 10:55 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Gotcha, Kharma,
The front sight is a Beach Combination. Very popular in its day, especially on guns like that, that might be used for small game or large, even a little target shooting.

Still no idea about the extra markings. You might want a factory letter on it, that might tell IF it were sold direct to some agency. I don't know what the current research charge is, but call 'em up.
Cody Firearms Museum, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, P.O. Box 1000, Cody, WY 82414, or phone (307) 587-4771.
Old June 27, 2002, 06:32 PM   #6
kahrma

Thanks for the info about the sights, I could find no one who knew anything about them.

I did contact the Cody Museum and they told me that their records stop at 399,999 or some number so they could not help me. I would be willing to pay for a professional appraisal if you knew where to go.

Thanks again, Kevin.
Old July 2, 2002, 04:09 PM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Professional Appraisal - - -

k--

In what part of the country do you reside?

Phone
Wayne Buxton, Silver Dollar Gun and Pawn, Dallas,
972-272-7215.

Wayne is a very advanced collector. It would be nice if you're nearby and could let him take a look at the rifle. Failing that, I called him--He'll be happy to talk with you on the phone and look at any photos you can sent by e-mail or however. Tell him you're the guy I talked about, and give him your name. He will talk with you and tell you what he thinks, without charge.

It is also possible he knows a collector/appraiser in your region that could provide a formal, written, apraisal. As you anticipate, though, that would cost you a fee.

Wayne is in the shop this afternoon, and will be there part of the day Wednesday, but will be out of town for a couple of weeks after that.

Good lluck--
Johnny