The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2007, 06:29 PM   #1
rrp

lead shot prices

Has anyone got a clue to why lead shot prices have doubled in less than a year. I was just out to Gander Mountain and they want $33.99 for a 25lb bag of 7 1/2 shot lead. Just last winter I was buying it for $17 and change. Wow, they're trying to take the joy out of reloading. Is there a chance that the war we're in, has been causing shortages? If anyone has any idea where I get get a better price let me know please. In the last few years there was never a real big savings in loading for trap shooting but now I think it might be cheaper to buy AA 's by the case than to load my own.
Old January 4, 2007, 07:30 PM   #2
cobra81

Yeah, Gander is outta sight on lead shot prices. I've been buying shot for $19.95 from a local supplier, but now he is up to $24.95 in the last few weeks. No idea what's causing the price increase. I've got lots of lino and wheelweights for casting rifle bullets, and I'm tempted to buy a shot dripper and make my own lead shot.
Old January 4, 2007, 11:07 PM   #3
jsflagstad

Blame China

I asked a couple of suppliers why lead is going up, and they said China is buying up all metals right now. That is where the steel price went as well...

JSF
Old January 5, 2007, 05:15 AM   #4
VaFisher

China

Yep you can thanks China for all your problems with any prices on materials.
Old January 5, 2007, 05:19 AM   #5
qajaq59

Hmmmm

Quote:
I'm tempted to buy a shot dripper and make my own lead shot.
Now that might be a fun thing to try if you can find a spot tall enough for a shot tower. If you ever do try it I'd be interested in how it goes.
Old January 5, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6
cobra81

Quote:
Now that might be a fun thing to try if you can find a spot tall enough for a shot tower. If you ever do try it I'd be interested in how it goes.
Um, I've got pretty tolerant neighbors, but a 200' shot tower wasn't what I had in mind. Besides, I'd need a zoning variance for one of those, but not for this: http://littletonshotmaker.com/
Old January 5, 2007, 09:04 PM   #7
rrp

lead going to china

I can't believe this is happening. MY brother fought them in Korea in 1951 and I know damn well they tried to kill me on the dmz in Vietnam in 67 & 68. I guess now that they have us over a barrel with cheap or slave labor, they figure they might as well take the raw materials too. What a great nation we all served, to let this happen. I can hardly wait to see the cars when they get here. I bet it won't be too long.
Old January 5, 2007, 09:17 PM   #8
amamnn

rrp that's not quite the way it works. You can thank the republican big businessmen who stayed home and played golf at the country club for training their boys to sell to the highest bidder and import our own indentured servants from Mexico and south america for high prices. Can you say NAFTA? Can you say WTO? Can you say World Bank? Just because they may vote a few gun control laws down does not make the politicians anything more than the prostitutes they are. That's why metals are going to China -- because they PAY more for them.