The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 22, 2002, 04:04 PM   #1
Daren Thompson

How long should a transfer take?

I am in the proccess of getting my first machine gun, an UZI. The ATF cashed my personal check on Sep 20th and I have still heard nothing from them. The transfer is an in state transfer so I was told(by a classIII dealer) I did not need to use a SOT. I filled out a form 4(with fingerprints and picture) and sent it off. No word yet is this normal? Will the ATF contct me or the man who currently has the gun?

Thanks
Daren
Old December 22, 2002, 04:10 PM   #2

I am in the same boat. My dealer told me it might take 4-5 months. I already know now that I used the wrong fingerprint cards which will delay the whole thing further. I wish I had done like you and sent them a personal check so I would know they cashed it. I sent them a certified check.
Old December 23, 2002, 09:21 AM   #3
ACP230

The laws gives the ATF bureaucrats 90 days to complete the transfer process. Some folks report transfers in 30 days, most in 90 or more. More than 90 days is not unusual. Some of this is supposedly due to slow fringerprint processing at the FBI.

"Patience is a virtue, especially when waiting for transfers." ACP230.