The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1
stephen426

Gun Broker is Dangerous!!! (to my wallet)

Do you guys ever wonder why there are so many info-mercials in the wee hours of the night? I'm sure the advertising rates are lower, but it is also because half-asleep people have less discretion! Late night visits to Gun Broker have the same effect of late night info-mercials.

I found a Sig P210 Legend (New in Box) for $1900 starting bid. The MSRP is $2399 on that gun so I was figuring it was $500 off! I actually have 2 P210s already. The first was the 50th Anniversary edition and the second I bought used because I couldn't bring myself to shoot the first. While the secong P210 I bought is a great gun, I get hammer bite and I don't care for the heel style mag release. They are holding their value very well though so I don't think I should part with it. I looked at a few other sites and found the P210 Legend for around $2050. For $150 off, I can pass. Besides, I already have 2 of them!

The other gun I looked at was a (New in Box) Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight with the 1.5" guarantee. Les Baer lists this gun for $2060 and the 1.5" guarantee is another $295 (total of $2355). The starting bid price was $2299.99 which is just $55 off. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of shooting a Les Baer, they really are amazing guns. I have a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special that I bought pre-owned at a gun show. It is one of my favorite guns and everyone who has shot it LOVES it. It makes average shooters look like great shooter! Anyways, to make a long story short, I put in the opening bid and won it! I know I am going to shoot the heck out of this gun (assuming I can find ammo). Now I just have to figure out how to tell the wife...

I will post pictures and give you guys a review when it comes in!
Old January 26, 2013, 09:24 AM   #2
AdrianVall

Wow.. that a nice piece you bought there! Not gunna lie, I'm quite jealous. Congrats man!
Old January 26, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Xfire68

Quote:
Not gunna lie, I'm quite jealous.
I will second that! Nice couple of pistols.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:46 AM   #4
FairWarning

Gunbroker, ebay and amazon are the most dangerous creations ever to me, along with online car shops. The temptation of indulging my 3 main hobbies tax free and via auction/clearance is simply too much.

That said, I've cut way back this year if view of what may be in store for our economy with the Third World Clown in the white house.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:50 PM   #5
bac1023

The P210 Legend has a retail oprice of $2199, not $2399.

You're thinking of the Legend Target, which is $200 more. What you were looking at was the standard model, not the target model.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:10 PM   #6
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023
The P210 Legend has a retail oprice of $2199, not $2399.

You're thinking of the Legend Target, which is $200 more. What you were looking at was the standard model, not the target model.
I didn't buy the Sig P210. As I mentioned, I actually own 2 of them already so I figured I would just let that one go. I really don't think the target model is worth an extra $200 for the adjustable sights. The P210 is strictly a safe queen and range gun so the hammer bight and heel mag release isn't a big deal.

As for the Les Baer, I have been eyeing a Monolith for a long time. It will also be a safe queen and range gun, but I intend to shoot the heck out of it. .45 ACP is a bit more expensive than 9mm, but it will be around forever. I am pretty freaking excited about getting the Monolith!!!
Old January 26, 2013, 10:17 PM   #7
shootniron

It is also dangerous to my "want list".

Nice looking guns even though I don't care much for the Sigs.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:27 PM   #8
bac1023

Quote:
I didn't buy the Sig P210. As I mentioned, I actually own 2 of them already so I figured I would just let that one go. I really don't think the target model is worth an extra $200 for the adjustable sights. The P210 is strictly a safe queen and range gun so the hammer bight and heel mag release isn't a big deal.

As for the Les Baer, I have been eyeing a Monolith for a long time. It will also be a safe queen and range gun, but I intend to shoot the heck out of it. .45 ACP is a bit more expensive than 9mm, but it will be around forever. I am pretty freaking excited about getting the Monolith!!!
Actually, the Target model also has checkering on the front strap and different grips,

Either way, you did good on the Baer.

I've got two Baer 1911s and four P210s. Both are great pistols.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:30 PM   #9
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023
I've got two Baer 1911s and four P210s. Both are great pistols.
Guys... bac1023 is the one you should be jealous of! I only have 2 P210s and he has 4 . Which ones do you have and what made you decide on getting so many? Also, which Baers do you have?
Old February 12, 2013, 11:21 AM   #10
stephen426

Well, I finally picked up my Les Baer yesterday. For anyone in the South Florida area, I used Rightful Liberty as my FFL and will do so from now on. They only charge $15 transfer fee and $5 NCIS fee. They are by far the cheapest and they are also very nice.

While Les Baer guns are amazing, their packaging leaves a lot to be desired. I knew what to expect so I wasn't too put off, but shipping a $2000 gun in a cardboard box just doesn't seem right. At their price point, they could easily tack on about $25 - $40 to cover the cost of a decent embroidered carry bag and few would bat an eyelash. It would also be great advertising for them at the range. Packaging aside...

First impressions:
Do NOT think you will pick this gun up brand new from the factory and take it straight to the range (unless you want to be covered in oil). The gun is practically soaked in oil to protect it after it leaves the factory.

This gun is pretty heavy. It should be considering I bought the heavy weight version of the Monolith. Despite the heavier weight, it balances perfectly right under the trigger guard. The finish is flawless with nice polished sides and matte finish on the top and back of the slide. The serrations are perfect and provide excellent grip. This gun is built extremely tight (thats what Baer guns are known for) and I had to use quite a bit of force the first time I racked the slide. Even the thumb safety is tough to engage.

When I took it home to clean off the excess oil I realized just how tight this pistol is built. Maybe they should have called it a Les BEAR since it is a bear to disassemble. I used the supplied bushing wrench and had to apply quite a bit of force to turn it. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE RECOIL SPRING since I think they use 20 lb. springs. After removing the spring plug and spring, I went to remove the slide stop. That too was pretty tight and required some force. I slid the slide off the frame and used the bushing wrench to turn the bushing. Again, a bit of force was required. I actually had to use the barrel to tap the barrel bushing free.

I wiped all of the excess oil off of the insides and reassembled the gun (paying extra special attention NOT to give my brand new gun an idiot mark aka slide stop scratch). To get the barrel bushing in, I actually had to use the bushing wrench to wiggle it back in! Then came the spring and plug... As I mentioned earlier, this gun comes with a 20 lb. spring. When they say wear eye protection to disassemble and resaaemble the gun, they are not kidding. I did not point the business end towards myself, but the spring plug did go flying out when my hand slipped. I had to look for it for a few minutes but I managed to find it. This time, I was extra careful holding down the spring plug with the bushing wrench. It was a bear turning the bushing, especially with the plug wanting to come out.

I managed to reassemble the gun without damaging it and wipe off all of the excess oil. Time to get this gun a nice bag to store it in and take it to the range. A range report should follow shortly as I can't wait to try this gun out!